June 02, 2024, 10:56:37 AM

Author Topic: Pacify... What for?  (Read 7908 times)

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
Pacify... What for?
« on: January 21, 2016, 04:01:18 PM »
Ok guys I've got a question for you. I've gone through probably 10 or 12 different iterations of this priest I'm working on, and pacify has gone in and out of it 6 or 7 times. I've gotten mild use out of it when I do use it but it's so dependent on multiple creatures being out that it gets almost no practical value. The only legitimate strategy i see it being awesome for is a mana denial wizard.

I always seem to find a more valuable action to take in the moment, and I feel like it needs to be played twice at least before one sees any real tempo gain from it. And even at that now I've wasted 2 quick actions and 8 mana casting ave revealing two spells that could be adding dice or lowering enemy values. Has anyone had any kind of success with this spell? Am I just using it wrong? Or looking at it the wrong way? Help me out here folks. I need a fresh opionion!
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
I love this game. Its awesome!

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
Re: Pacify... What for?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2016, 04:04:10 PM »
kinda feel the same way about it as you.. Untill they use it against you! ;) Can be really annoying if they cast it on a strong agressive creature of yours.  :P

I almost never use it myself, but it's really annoying when it's used against you. I'm guessing a more defensive build will get much more use out of it than an aggressive one.
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2016, 10:50:11 PM »
See now that's interesting, because I disagree... Kinda, I see your point and its both valid and correct but I thing aggressive pacify might be a bit more useful now that I'm thinking about it ( ...again). Pacify can reach diminishing returns quickly and if applied on creatures as they are spawned, maybe twice or even thrice, that mana cost to use your initial creatures can add up. It makes less of an impact as more creatures hit the field but early in a 2 mana tax, say post round 3, for every attack with that creature might change decisions or make certain combos untenable. Hmm. I made myself think. Lol sorry for all the blabbing guys. If you think of anything or if I'm wrong lemme know!

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2016, 11:25:46 PM »
After mulling it over for a while, I think aggressive is correct.   However, I would posit that it is really a tax on the efficiency player--the one who really wants to plan out every point of mana each turn.  I would label it a counter attack answer to aggression.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Kharhaz

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2016, 12:28:54 AM »
since it does not effect counterattack most of the time the big aggressive guy will guard instead, for better or worse really.

The only other thing it can do that is worth mentioning is how it works with bloodthirsty creatures like zombies. The blood thirsty trait forces them to attack if there is a wounded enemy creature.

Best case scenario is they don't have enough mana to pay for that swing and the Blood reaper does nothing that round, however that is an extreme case.

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2016, 12:38:31 AM »
Unfortunately it won't help me with my growing zombie problem as it's a psychic spell. And I've been seeing an awful lot of zombies lately!

Schwenkgott

• Thunderdome
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2016, 02:02:50 AM »
It's not a bad thing against familiars like huginn, fellella etc.
If they are protected somehow by enchantments and you dont want to waste actions trying to kill them ... Put a pacify on them. That will at least nullify their innate channeling.

Pacify works best against midlevel creatures. Lvl 1 creatures can often be killed by a single blow/action. Lvl 4+ creatures are importent, so the enemy would sacrifice a dispel here. But lvl 2 or 3 creatures may not be worth a dispel. I like it most on archers that usually wont guard either.
Akiro, I have never prayed to you before. No one will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that one stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Akiro... so grant me strength! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!

Drefan

• Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2016, 03:03:15 AM »
See now that's interesting, because I disagree... Kinda, I see your point and its both valid and correct but I thing aggressive pacify might be a bit more useful now that I'm thinking about it ( ...again). Pacify can reach diminishing returns quickly and if applied on creatures as they are spawned, maybe twice or even thrice, that mana cost to use your initial creatures can add up. It makes less of an impact as more creatures hit the field but early in a 2 mana tax, say post round 3, for every attack with that creature might change decisions or make certain combos untenable. Hmm. I made myself think. Lol sorry for all the blabbing guys. If you think of anything or if I'm wrong lemme know!

I disagree, and here is why:
There is no "Less of an impact", the impact is always there. You make them pay 2 mana to be offensive on X creature(s) every turn. Meaning they can't spend mana more than their  Channel - X if they plan on attacking.

Even if you see this as them still paying and attacking you'll prob notice that their mage is doing fewer actions to compensate for the extra mana cost.

Sure they can guard for FREE and that's why it's NOT a good offensive card at least in my opinion.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 03:05:13 AM by Drefan »
Octagon user: Drefan

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2016, 04:27:51 AM »
I disagree, and here is why:
There is no "Less of an impact", the impact is always there. You make them pay 2 mana to be offensive on X creature(s) every turn. Meaning they can't spend mana more than their  Channel - X if they plan on attacking.

Even if you see this as them still paying and attacking you'll prob notice that their mage is doing fewer actions to compensate for the extra mana cost.

Sure they can guard for FREE and that's why it's NOT a good offensive card at least in my opinion.

And that's why I don't think an aggressive build should use it...

If you are being rushed, it can slow down the rush and buy you time to get more defenses. But if you are rushing yourself, the mana and action could probably be spend better on another card, AND guarding isn't a bad action for your opponent if you are rushing him.

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2016, 11:36:02 AM »
It's not a bad thing against familiars like huginn, fellella etc.
If they are protected somehow by enchantments and you dont want to waste actions trying to kill them ... Put a pacify on them. That will at least nullify their innate channeling.
I think I'm missing your meaning here schwenn. Pacify only triggers its tax on attacks. So while I could definitely see putting one on Sereryx, or perhaps a thought spore with an attack spell on it, Both Hugin and Fellela rarely if ever actually attack. As a result the pacify wouldn't trigger. Unless you meant something different?

kippruddigger

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2016, 10:22:56 AM »
I run a priestess that uses pacify to support a divine intervention rush. Turn 1 I bring out Sir Corazin and Ring of Asyra. Turn 2 has him in my opponents zone attacking (via Divine Intervention) and my priestess double moving. Turn three my priestess moves and drops one face up pacify and a mongoose agility on sir corazin. Another pacify or two can follow on turn 4 depending on number of creatures. From there I adjust my strategy depending on how opponent reacts.

I like the combo because it leaves the opponent with difficult choice. They can attack Sir Corazin for 2 mana a pop knowing he may just defend it. Or he can move his creatures to go after my priestess while leaving his mage to deal with a double-striking Sir Corazin. The guarding option is eliminated due to mongoose and if they stay to attack it is 2-6 mana that the mage won't have.

There are certainly ways to counter this strategy but I found it to be an effective way to gain momentum.

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2016, 11:26:18 AM »
I run a priestess that uses pacify to support a divine intervention rush. Turn 1 I bring out Sir Corazin and Ring of Asyra. Turn 2 has him in my opponents zone attacking (via Divine Intervention) and my priestess double moving. Turn three my priestess moves and drops one face up pacify and a mongoose agility on sir corazin. Another pacify or two can follow on turn 4 depending on number of creatures. From there I adjust my strategy depending on how opponent reacts.

I like the combo because it leaves the opponent with difficult choice. They can attack Sir Corazin for 2 mana a pop knowing he may just defend it. Or he can move his creatures to go after my priestess while leaving his mage to deal with a double-striking Sir Corazin. The guarding option is eliminated due to mongoose and if they stay to attack it is 2-6 mana that the mage won't have.

There are certainly ways to counter this strategy but I found it to be an effective way to gain momentum.

cool, I would be very impressed with that opening  8)

SharkBait

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2016, 11:27:40 AM »

Dude this is really cool! I'm tempted to try this now myself
  • Favourite Mage: Adramelech Warlock
When in doubt, kill it with fire

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2016, 05:56:03 PM »
that sounds awesome! but what do you do when your opponent just kills sir corazin turn 3 with 2 fireballs or a boulder and a rock or something? hes super awesome but as a buddy i find that because his defense only works in melee, he dies to an acid ball and another level 2 attack spell. Ive been playing with divine intervention a lot lately, and thats a pretty baller opening for sure! my problem with a full court DI rush is that your mage is too far away to help quickly. if your enemy just destroys that big threat right away your in trouble (happens to me all the time :) )

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2016, 05:56:57 PM »

This is interesting, but what do you do if your opponent guards with his creatures and dispels the Mongoose Agility?
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess