May 01, 2024, 06:49:43 PM

Author Topic: Name That Teleport  (Read 5401 times)

Sylex

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • Nobody sees the Wizard! Not nobody, not no how!
    • View Profile
Name That Teleport
« on: February 06, 2014, 10:13:05 AM »
So in my "What if they did this?" side of my brain, a recent post got me wondering.... What would Teleport be called if it were to be printed in another school of magic? I don't necessarily think this should happen, but for the entertainment purposes of that part of my brain, I am leaving this question open to the forums.

I have already stated that I would name the Dark magic spell Shadowstep in previous posts, but I was wondering if anyone else has ever thought about this, or if anybody would dare to, what would you call them in regards to the theme of some of the other schools?

I was picturing the nature spell as maybe a vine that the mage could use to swing Spider Man style to said location, but I can't think of a name for the spell.

Since I also think that Teleport should have been a Mind spell to begin with, I guess I would call the Mind version Temporal Displacement or something like that, which actually sounds more Arcane to me ironically.

I can't really think of anything for Holy.....Leap of Faith maybe, but the implementation seems a little hokey. I'm sure if I thought about it, I could do better.

What do you think my fellow Mages?

lettucemode

Re: Name That Teleport
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 10:26:33 AM »
How about some additional effects as well?

Dark - Shadowstep: target gains Invisible until they attack or the next Reset phase.
Holy - Flash: enemies in the destination zone are Dazed on 8+
Nature - I got nuthin'
Mind - I Was Over Here The Whole Time Haha Fooled You: any damage, markers, or enchantments on target creature gained  this round are removed or destroyed
War - Catapult: target and enemies in destination zone receive a Slam token.
Fire - Blaze step: enemies in destination zone get a Burn token on 8+
Water - Reform: target gains Elusive until the next Reset phase
Air - Ride the Wind: enemies are Pushed in a random direction on 8+
Earth - Emerge: conjurations in destination zone receive an unavoidable attack of 3 dice
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 11:31:59 AM by lettucemode »

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 10:58:43 AM »
Dark: I like Shadowstep.
Holy: already has Divine Intervention.
Mind: could do Spatial Displacement (temporal would involve time travel), although I think Push is the Mind answer to teleport.
War: I would rather see an alternative like "March" allowing the target a free move action off turn that doesn't count against its actions.

I'm stuck for nature as well. Perhaps they should be the anathema and focus on immobilizing their opponents.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 11:05:16 AM »
I'm stuck for nature as well. Perhaps they should be the anathema and focus on immobilizing their opponents.
Just being silly:

Tarzan Vines: Swing on the Vines though two zones with one quick movement action, you gain (and can not loose) the Elusive trait till your movement is complete.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

kailas

• Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 11:36:10 AM »
Mind - Phase shift.
Holy - there is Divine intervention.
War - Juggernaut or Stampede or Trample (moves 1 - 2 zones damaging anything (corporeal) in it's path).
Nature - Take flight.
Air - Warp (teleports to a zone and makes an electrify attack)

aquestrion

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 12:46:23 PM »
I envision a vine snapper eating your mage and passing alomg the vine network to a seedling pod and being 'expelled'

Sylex

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • Nobody sees the Wizard! Not nobody, not no how!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2014, 08:29:55 PM »
I envision a vine snapper eating your mage and passing alomg the vine network to a seedling pod and being 'expelled'

HAHAHA YES!

I forgot about Divine Intervention. I guess that does it for Holy pretty much. Also, I think nature is the hardest as well. You want to get a similar effect as Teleport, but there's nothing "natural" about the nature of teleporting so that one is a tough one.

Honestly, I think Shadowstep is the only one that could literally clone the text of Teleport, and still work thematically as well as mechanically.

Warp sounds like Ride The Lightning to me lol. Pretty cool idea though.

Artemus Maximus

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2014, 11:10:27 PM »
My thoughts on this were:

MIND - Levitate - move up to 3, gains flying until end of activation
DARK - I like Shadowstep
WAR - Ambush - move soldier creature 1-2 zones, it must make a quick attack if it has one.

I prob prefer nothing analagous for nature keeping with restrictive theme, but a quick wind/water spell that moved all creatures from one zone to another would be neat...Vortex/Surf.

Adkin1233

• Playtester
  • New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2014, 09:45:55 AM »
Nature - Brachiation: mana cost, 6, quick action, target-living creature. Description: the target may move up to two zones while ignoring walls and creatures.

Perhaps it should only cost 5 since it doesn't really work on enemies?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 09:50:05 AM by ConanTheFarmarian »

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2014, 05:44:59 PM »
I think if nature gets teleportation it should be Bounce. They jump really high and land somewhere else. Flying creatures cannot bounce.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Hedge

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2014, 08:05:33 PM »
Nature- Dance of Leaves

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2014, 09:52:22 PM »
Nature- Dance of Leaves

Hmmm...and how would that work thematically? How do the leaves move the creature from one place to another? The way I imagine it from the name, is that the leaves spin around the creature and it vanishes within the leaves, then the leaves are carried on the wind to their destination. I suppose this might be able to work without it also being an air spell, since eagle wings isn't an air spell either. That being said, I think it would be much more thematic if the spell were a Druid only spell called "Spreading Seeds":

Type: Enchantment
Mana cost: 3XY
Range: 0-1
Target: Zone
Nature Lv 3

Choose X plant creatures in target zone and teleport each of them one zone away in a random direction Y times. If a creature would be teleported this way out of your line of sight, that teleport is canceled.

And as for mine:

Kangaroo Legs
Type: Enchantment
Target: Living creature
Range 0-2
Mana cost: 2(2X)

Teleport target living creature X zones away. X is the distance teleported in zones. Then destroy Kangaroo Legs. Kangaroo Legs cannot target creatures with the Unmovable trait.

Did that creature really just hop twenty feet in the air!? Crikey!
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.