May 15, 2024, 02:25:27 PM

Author Topic: Mirror Matches  (Read 2043 times)

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
Mirror Matches
« on: February 25, 2014, 11:47:07 PM »
Sat down to play a game with a friend today and we were both amused that we'd chosen to use Stray Wood Beast Masters as our mages. Neither of us had ever fought the same mage before and we had a blast of a match, especially when we both put down Rajan's Fury! Oh boy is Cervere horrifying and a Feral Bobcat with Bear's Strength is a tight little threat for sure.

Anyway I was curious what other mages stack up very well or very poorly against themselves?
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

webcatcher

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Mirror Matches
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 06:07:09 AM »
2 forcemasters can easily fight each other to a standstill thanks to low creature count and forcefield.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 07:21:01 AM »
Mirror matches are the main reason I would include Steal Equipment in my Forcemaster books. Stealing their Galvitar is pretty funny. All they have to do is then Dissolve it to get it back, assuming they don't have a Steal Equipment spell themselves, so it's not really an "I win" button, but it's still funny.

Forcefield shouldn't ever cause a standstill between Forcemasters though. With no other creatures, they can still use Galvitar to double strike each round and cause damage. Assuming that for some reason you don't want to simply Dispel their Forcefield.

I think all of the mages make for interesting mirror matches though. I'm not sure if I'd say any of them stacked up well or poorly against themselves though. You can't really get more balanced or evenly matched than facing yourself can you?

If I had to say someone stacked up poorly against himself though, I'd have to say a Necromancer. When you're facing off against a bunch of Bloodthirsty Zombies and you know your mage is the only living creature you will be bringing to bear, it makes you sweat a little.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 10:33:00 AM »
I think a Skellie Necro is a bit stronger than a Zombie Necro, not by much though.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest