May 18, 2024, 05:41:58 AM

Author Topic: Ok been playing six months now, my thoughts.  (Read 7794 times)

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
Re: Ok been playing six months now, my thoughts.
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2014, 12:28:27 AM »
Eh they're ok, I can generally beat two out of the three folks in my area who use Force Masters at least half the time. I haven't played one yet cause I like the idea of having a "rival" mage for me to battle. Plus if I play them I'll better understand how to beat them and I prefer to learn through trial and error. They really are cool mages honestly, they stick out in terms of play style more than any other in my opinion which is awesome.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2014, 01:02:10 AM »
Don't get me wrong. I beat them. It can just take so long if they layer their defensive options and heal. It's not that they're too good, it's that they can be frustrating to play against.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2014, 01:09:05 AM »
Yeah you mentioned curses earlier, we're getting Arcane Corruption soon and that'll be a game changer as will perhaps the Harshforge Monolith. In fact the moonlight may be even more so as a typically creature light Force Master will have to dedicate a higher percentage of their resources to take it down as opposed to a Beast Master with lots of minions to do the work for them.
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2014, 05:23:58 PM »
Try this format for events

It is the current one I am testing

75 minute rounds

4 points for a win before time - 0 points to the loser

When time is called you complete the current round you are in then. To see if a winner can be decided after time we looked at the highest remaining life totals.

3 Points for a win after time - 1 point to the loser

1 point to each player for a perfect draw
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2014, 02:04:44 AM »

75 minute rounds

When time is called you complete the current round you are in then. To see if a winner can be decided after time we looked at the highest remaining life totals.

I have been chewing on the idea of giving a point to anyone who holds an opponent off and survives the round. I have an event on the 29th I'll bring the idea up at but I don't know if the venue will go for it. Next time we have a tournament on campus I'll try it out though.

I look at total damage taken over a round as opposed to remaining life. If a Warlock and a Force Master both take 20 damage well then obviously the Warlock has more life remaining he started with 38 but the Force Master was fighting just as hard. We actually give players note cards and pencils and say "Write down when you take damage please" in case they heal up.

Brian VanAlstyne

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2014, 10:03:03 AM »
As someone who plays in Silverclaws tournaments I do think that method works but it really does hamper my Priestess strategy because if I can't put away the opposition they are guaranteed to do more damage to me because of healing. So while the opposition may be closer to death I most likely have taken more damage.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2014, 12:02:13 PM »

75 minute rounds

I have been chewing on the idea of giving a point to anyone who holds an opponent off and survives the round. I have an event on the 29th I'll bring the idea up at but I don't know if the venue will go for it. Next time we have a tournament on campus I'll try it out though.

I look at total damage taken over a round as opposed to remaining life. If a Warlock and a Force Master both take 20 damage well then obviously the Warlock has more life remaining he started with 38 but the Force Master was fighting just as hard. We actually give players note cards and pencils and say "Write down when you take damage please" in case they heal up.

We tried total damage taken and even at major events some player forgot to write it down. ???
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2014, 01:44:45 PM »
Counting damage, mana, creatures, actions, spellpoints... i think that law, order and math are not proper tools to decide, which mage/player is a winner of actual game.

I was thinking about referee as a judge in this kinds of situation. He will listen to both players, their plan for next three rounds, check their spellbooks and then decide a probable winner.

If i will play attrition priestess, keeping my two knights alive, neutralizing all threats and step by step building a point (hold, step, situation) in which i will start defeating my oponent. That moment (point) is not always visible or easily reachable. I fully understand reasons why cannot there be a 2 hours for one match.

Referee decisions like in boxing would be an elegant solution from my point of view. But that will also depends on quality and experience of those "judges".

Statistics or math could be applied if you take all creatures, unplayed attack cards, their mana cost and level and do some cool formula, then roll specific ammount of dice simulating next 5 rounds minus healing effects and armor and apply this on actual live value of mage... :)

• Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2014, 03:06:43 PM »
As someone who plays in Silverclaws tournaments I do think that method works but it really does hamper my Priestess strategy because if I can't put away the opposition they are guaranteed to do more damage to me because of healing. So while the opposition may be closer to death I most likely have taken more damage.

Devil it's possible we can take a slightly different approach to help balance it out for the Priestess builds.