May 17, 2024, 05:49:59 PM

Author Topic: Is a "strike" also an "attack"  (Read 3434 times)

sean

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Is a "strike" also an "attack"
« on: December 28, 2012, 07:55:20 PM »
It seems that a strike cannot be an attack, because strikes happen within an attack, they do not have their own attack phase, but are a single phase within the attack.
But it also seems that the rules also explicitly say that triple strike and double strike grant additional attacks.

These both cannot be true.

It matters because if I have melee + X, and if a strike is an attack, I only get the bonus for the first attack.  But if a strike is not an attack, but part of an attack, then I get the bonus for all of my strikes.

theduke850

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Re: Is a "strike" also an "attack"
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 08:30:59 PM »
I think you're getting hung up on the word "strike" a bit too much.  strictly speaking, I don't think there is such a thing as a "strike" in this game... doublestrike and triplestrike are just keywords used to signify that you can roll the dice an extra number of times during an attack (not additional attacks).  In other words you are repeating those steps within the attack phase that detail rolling and applying damage (I'm sorry, but I don't remember exactly which numbered steps off the top of my head, but it is detailed in the rule book).

melee + X would only apply to the first roll of the dice, in fact, any +/- X trait that modifies your roll only apply to the first roll of a double/triple strike sequence.  To get the use of those traits again you would have to start an entirely new attack sequence (for example, with Battle Fury).

pixelgeek

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 08:50:32 PM »
Quote from: "sean" post=5870
It seems that a strike cannot be an attack, because strikes happen within an attack, they do not have their own attack phase, but are a single phase within the attack.
But it also seems that the rules also explicitly say that triple strike and double strike grant additional attacks.

These both cannot be true.

It matters because if I have melee + X, and if a strike is an attack, I only get the bonus for the first attack.  But if a strike is not an attack, but part of an attack, then I get the bonus for all of my strikes.

As mentioned there is no "Strike" keyword in the game.

Doublestrike and Triplestrike are Traits that allow a Creature to do additional attacks.

From page 29 in the rulebook

Some traits, such as Triplestrike, allow the attacker to make additional attacks against the same target. Once the first strike is finished, you get to make these additional strikes. Each additional strike is resolved, one at a time, following these 3 steps: Avoid Attack, Roll Dice, Damage and Effects.

I think the use of the word "strike" in this example is confusing you. I suspect they use it to avoid using the word attack.

This only comes up in reference to the Double and Triplestrike Trait and how they are resolved in Step 5 Additional Attacks.
  • Favourite Mage: Adramelech Warlock
Arcane Wonders Web Guy
Problem with the forums or website?

Send me a PM

Words to live by: I commit strongly to defending my wand.   Precisely so that I don't lose it.

sean

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 01:54:17 AM »
I was referring to "strike" as described in phase 5 of the attack order, not the names of the cards.  If the words "strike" and "attack" are interchangeable, then this means there are 2 kinds of attacks.  One type is a full attack with phases 1 through 8, and another type is an "additional" attack with only phases 2 through 4.  If this is the case, then it is reasonable to assume that attack bonuses apply to only the first attack per activation.

Are there any attack bonuses that apply to more than the first attack?  Or does "first attack only per activation" cover it?

pixelgeek

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 12:10:53 PM »
The section I quoted from page 29 is the same section you are referring to. :-)

There is, AFAIK, no Melee bonus that applies to any attacks gained through Double or Triplestrike.
Arcane Wonders Web Guy

Send me a PM

Words to live by: I commit strongly to defending my wand.   Precisely so that I don't lose it.

pixelgeek

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2012, 12:12:09 PM »
As an aside, can the FAQ team perhaps add an entry differentiating strikes and attacks so it is clear what each is and how Melee bonuses and similar effects don't apply to strikes?
Arcane Wonders Web Guy

Send me a PM

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2012, 12:27:43 PM »
A "Strike" referrers to additions attacks within an attack sequence that do not start a new sequence.

Examples of things that would cause these are AOE spells, spells like Chain Lightning, Doublestrike, and Triplestrike.  :dry:
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage