May 03, 2024, 01:30:30 AM

Author Topic: Damage over Time  (Read 8117 times)

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Damage over Time
« on: October 10, 2012, 02:11:48 PM »
Klaxas and I talked about a tactic that uses Idol of Pestilence, Poison Gas Cloud, Chains of Agony, Tangle Vine, Force Hold, Wall of stone, Ghoul Rot, and Teleport you lock the creatures in place and keep the Damage over Time eating away at creatures. To slow down your Damage use unicorn, Regrowth Belt, Tree of life. I also added Malcoda and Skeleton Solider into my build.

Another thing is use Wall Of Thorns and Force Push to knockback any threats and damage them.

Has anybody else tried something similar?

Have you tried this build?

What do you think Strengths / Weaknesses ?
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

piousflea

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Re: Damage over Time
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 04:46:36 PM »
Sounds like fun, never tried it. How do you plan to deal with a Creatureless build that just bum-rushes you with direct damage (ie, lash of fire lock or lightning bolt spam wizard)? Put on DoTs and then spam Jinx and Block?

the_iron_troll

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 11:43:22 PM »
I assume this is a Wizard book, given the many different schools?

paradox22

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • MOKAN Mage Wars
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 02:14:21 AM »
Quote from: "the_iron_troll" post=2154
I assume this is a Wizard book, given the many different schools?

I believe to utilize damage over time spells + burn, you'd have to build this as a warlock.
Si vis pacem para bellum

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 07:31:22 AM »
I have looked at both Wizard and Warlock for this build, but have not tried Priestess yet.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Lightseed

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 02:24:05 PM »
This build is doable, but i will use it only as an opening strategy, after 2-3 rounds of pounding the curses on the other mage i would switch to equipment and some big beast and then chasing the other mage around (for a warlock's perspective). It depends on how the other mage reacts. If he starts healing or remuving these conditions, the pounding will stop him from doing so, if he ignores these conditions then, i will do everything i can to slow, daze, stun incapacitate and run from him and still put some curses now and there if i get the chance.

So as i have playd it the build is good if you got a backup plan, because some players just ignore the conditions and go for the kill, you must be prepared to run or to go at him after you plant the spells on him.

DarthDadaD20

• Dark Father of Random Occurrence/TeamRocket Grunt
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2013, 09:23:02 AM »
I find small creatures like Imps and Bats really add into these (DoT) decks. I dont ever see conditions really being talked about when people say DoT..but really, the equipment and creatures that produce the conditions that cause DoT (Burn, rot,) really add up to more damage with out having to be apart of a combination of cards while staying im play for a few rounds. Now I know that conditions are not so much "Standard or static" DoT resources, but boy do they have a place in there.

It is hard to ignore four Rot conditions on your mage....
Where does my greatest enemy lie?
It has been around since the dawn of time,
it follows your loved ones as well as mine,
takes the form of a mountain as well as a flower,
it cannot be outrun by the greatest of power.
Where does my greatest enemy lie?
Within Shad0w.

Preacher

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2013, 09:29:56 AM »
Don't forget your best pal here, the Iron Golem. Immune to a lot of those things like poison and Idol and LOVES having a ready Force Held mage to wail on with Battle Furied attacks for 12 dice.

Nasty if you work around his Slow trait.

xoDeadpoolox

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2013, 12:42:07 PM »
I've done something similar by using the Warlock and combing idol of pestilence with Sectarus, dark rune sword and free casting a lot of curses like Ghoul Rot, Death Link, And Agony.

piousflea

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2013, 08:12:38 AM »
I've found that the best time to apply DoTs is after you already have creatures out on the board.

DoTs are highly ineffective by themselves. 2 damage here and 2 damage there is far less DPS than a Lord of Fire or a Hawkeye Sniper or a Galvitar+Scimitar. However, when you already have creatures rolling large attack dice every turn, DoTs can tilt the playing field toward you.

While your opponent still has dispels, DoTs can serve as a "super Jinx", forcing him to spend mana and quick actions dispelling instead of fighting your creatures.

When your opponent inevitably runs out of dispels, DoTs serve as a "timer" forcing him to play more aggressively than he normally would, because he can't afford to run away and regenerate mana.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2013, 01:03:22 PM »
With the Necro this summer I have been looking at this again :whistle:

dexmark

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2013, 10:16:05 PM »
Klaxas and I talked about a tactic that uses Idol of Pestilence, Poison Gas Cloud, Chains of Agony, Tangle Vine, Force Hold, Wall of stone, Ghoul Rot, and Teleport you lock the creatures in place and keep the Damage over Time eating away at creatures. To slow down your Damage use unicorn, Regrowth Belt, Tree of life. I also added Malcoda and Skeleton Solider into my build.

Another thing is use Wall Of Thorns and Force Push to knockback any threats and damage them.

Has anybody else tried something similar?

Have you tried this build?

What do you think Strengths / Weaknesses ?

I used this technique and pretty much destroyed my enemy Beastmaster.
I used my Wizard to pull this off.
I also mass Jinx + Nullify + mana + force hold + curses and Poison and Malacoda. I have 6 Jinxes and each turn the person is stuck in poison and taking at least 7 damage each turn from all the curses, poison and others.
While I am destroying the opposing mage, I am also force holding all the other creature and they all died in poison damage.

I did not need any Wall of Thorns anymore. All you need is all the DOT plus poison. Malacoda + Skeletal soldier is all you need.  You also need dispel, dissolve and teleport in your build. Magewand Teleport.

Due to my mass Jinx and my opponent did not expect this type of mage build, he pretty much waste each turn trying to remove the curses (and failed) or my Mind spell Force Crush (Upkeep 4) but they are unmovable (they can't cast push on themselves) + they take 2 damage.

Due to the level of opponent I have is so good, I was only able to put Ghoul Rot + Force Crush + Poison up to the point the opponent died from it. I was not able to bring out Malacoda but I was able to bring out Idol of Pestilence. So really each turn my opponent takes automatic 7 damage + my range attack spells as Wizard.

So both of us are taking damage each turn and all the beastmaster creatured died after a few turns.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 10:42:23 PM by dexmark »

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2013, 06:25:38 AM »
Good to hear that people are still looking at this build.  :P

Dezul

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2013, 03:16:12 AM »
I've got a DOT built 'dark'  beast master..  Using bats and lizards as my animal friends and the fairy familiar to buff both myself and them and to dump a bunch of curses on the enemy mage..  So far the build seems fairly fun to play and has game. Usually I'll have a stab at locking players in or out with wall of vines and the odd force push while throwing bats at them and a petted up lizard.

theduke850

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2013, 09:00:06 AM »
I think a strength of Damage over Time builds that hasn't been mentioned (at least I didn't see it) is that it doesn't rely on rolling the dice.  I have recommended it to people how have complained at the randomness (usually after a game full of horrible roles).