May 07, 2024, 05:01:14 PM

Author Topic: Academy: with planning phase vs without planning phase?  (Read 2255 times)

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Academy: with planning phase vs without planning phase?
« on: November 13, 2015, 07:15:11 AM »
So, has anyone tried playing academy with a planning phase included? I'm wondering if a planning phase would make the game more strategic. When I tried the Academy demo at origins, I was somewhat disappointed about how ridiculously easy it seemed. Apprentice mode was already fairly easy, and based on the demo academy seems to be even less strategic than apprentice mode!

Granted, it was just a demo, and I'm still looking forward to academy as a faster mage wars game than arena, but I'm worried that it won't be a sufficient substitute for Apprentice mode. This is a problem because it undoubtedly WILL replace apprentice mode for the most part, even though they're completely different games. People are going to play academy and NOT apprentice mode because they don't really understand how different they are and that they're both worthwhile to play.

Was it just the demo of academy that's so easy and less strategic than apprentice mode? If not, does including a planning phase help make academy more strategic, and is it still balanced that way?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 07:19:30 AM by Sailor Vulcan »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
Re: Academy: with planning phase vs without planning phase?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2015, 08:34:15 AM »
So, has anyone tried playing academy with a planning phase included?

It's not even out yet  :( I've been stalking my local store about it :P
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2015, 10:29:22 AM »
While there are no planning phases, you have to think about your investments turns ahead. Since the first two phases you are not allowed to effect your opponent, you setup the board the way you see fit. Academy allows you to see when it would be appropriate to use certain spells to either get rid of opponents spells or buff your own. Academy is not about "surprising" but rather solid planning and thinking ahead of time.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2015, 10:39:48 AM »
Not that I ever played academy but I do think it could be interesting when playing with experienced arena players. In any other case I would keep it simple and follow the rules.  :P
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.