May 28, 2024, 10:46:05 AM

Author Topic: Anyone at origins today?  (Read 8843 times)

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone at origins today?
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2015, 04:02:46 PM »
Yes, but they did not go through the entire set one card at a time, and I did not get to see the entire set one at a time. Also, they didn't want me to take pictures of the academy sets they were demoing. There really wasn't much to take pictures of besides what they already took. I didn't get my copy of domination until the last day, and I'm not up for doing my first unboxing video right now, if ever...

You'll just have to wait for the spell lists to be released. :P

I will tell you they had domination in apprentice mode for their demos, and they've started running the regular arena demos faster by having mages start at 12 damage and 1 zone away from each other. I think the dominatino demos in apprentice mode started out with six zones, but they changed it to four partway through the convention. I'm guessing they set starting mage damage at 12 for that as well.

It was really fun. Wish they had an open play area, but they didn't. I tried to set one up just for a few casual games if people wanted to, but almost no one was interested. I got to play against one person after hours a couple days ago, who was either an ambassador or a staff member, don't remember which. It was really fun, although I lost both times, lol.

Hope we have an open play area next time! Can't wait for everyone to come back for Origins next year! It will (probably) be a blast!
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2015, 03:24:47 PM »
I have access to every card... oh wait....

Don't go trolln'

This has been a public service announcement from your local "head of playtesting"  ;D

V10lentray

• Member of Arcane Duels
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2015, 03:51:06 PM »
The cards were released Thursday. Seriously if i was at Origins, they would have all been online already. I'm surprised no one has put them up yet.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2015, 05:52:39 PM »
They didn't do an unboxing while I was there, they did it before the exhibit hall was even open. What do you expect me to have done? Asked them to lay out every single spell side by side on the only two tables they had available, and monopolize most of their space for half an hour so I could painstakingly take pictures of each and every one, after their booth was already open? The domination expansion alone is pretty big, and the academy expansion on top of that wasn't being unboxed; the only part of it that could be seen was the demo, since it was just a prototype after all.

Your excitement and impatience is perfectly understandable. This is the first mage wars expansion we've had in a while. I meant to take pictures while I was there, but my phone charger broke so it's hard to charge my phone. The cord has to be at JUST the right angle to charge, and it's hard to find that angle. That's been really frustrating me the past few days. Also, I had a lot of fun and got distracted by some stuff and in the end I didn't remember that I was going to take pictures until after it was already over and I was on the way back home. Seriously, that's what happened. Sorry.

In any case, I figured there wasn't anything worth taking pictures of that I could have taken pictures of which Arcane Wonders wasn't taking pictures of already, since I looked on facebook and they took quite a few pictures that seemed to cover everything that happened at the event and all the main things they were doing, showing and selling. I didn't think anyone would start nagging me for that or be all incredulous and disappointed like, "THAT'S IT!?"

I accept your apology for the nagging, even though you went ahead and continued doing it after the fact. :P

If what you're looking for is the in person experience, maybe you should come to origins in person next year. As far as I know me and one of my friends were the only local mage wars players there. That friend had only played apprentice mode once or twice before, and my other friend who was with us was learning it for the first time.

Seriously, central ohio needs more mage wars players. I know there's a ton of them in northcentral ohio, but that's at least an hour or two away by car and there's no bus route there.

Origins has come and gone four times, we have had no one but me down here for about 2-3 years until I finally managed to start building my playgroup fairly recently. I'm fairly certain that before origins this year, every single mage wars player who still lived in the area learned the game from me, and I am skeptical that things will change much before Academy is released, even when I become an official ambassador. Even though it's such a big area, I can count the number of people in our mage wars community here on one hand, and I know that because I have scoured the entire area and searched the whole ******* internet for local mage wars players, MANY TIMES, and never found any. I searched boardgamegeek, facebook, conventions, coffee shops, FLGS, community events, and my effing enormous university, as well as asking random friends and aqquaintances when it has a chance to come up in conversation. I probably also looked in other places that I can't think of off the top of my head. And after all that, there was no one. Just me.

And there wasn't any open play area this year. It would be nice if more people came down here to play with us at some point.

Sorry, I'm rambling, I'll stop now.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 06:49:46 PM by Sailor Vulcan »
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

vlad3theimpaler

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2015, 11:38:03 PM »
The cards were released Thursday. Seriously if i was at Origins, they would have all been online already. I'm surprised no one has put them up yet.
I started transcribing them in LordofWinter's spoiler thread.  I'll finish the rest in the morning when I get home from work.
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer

jhaelen

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2015, 02:37:49 AM »
What do you expect me to have done? Asked them to lay out every single spell side by side on the only two tables they had available, and monopolize most of their space for half an hour so I could painstakingly take pictures of each and every one, after their booth was already open?
I would expect no less!

Inquiring minds want to know! ;)

V10lentray

• Member of Arcane Duels
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2015, 07:57:48 AM »

I accept your apology for the nagging, even though you went ahead and continued doing it after the fact. :P

I hope that wasn't directed at me. I've had the cards for months now.

Secondly I didn't attend Origins because i'm still in my busy work season for 2 more weeks. But I will be at GenCon.

And yeah, if I was at Origins, and since I know how impatient everyone on here is, I would have snapped pictures of every card and posted them up here because they have been released publicly.

I had a guy from work who went to Origins, who was supposed to bring me back a copy of Battlegrounds, but forgot. So i'm kinda mad about that, But now you have to wait until the national release to see some Arcane Duels videos of Domination.

And to bash the people of central Ohio for not going to Origins and saying there is no player base there, welcome to the freaking club, finding a player base anywhere for MW is extremely difficult. I'm finding more people are getting into Doomtown then are even willing to give Mage Wars a shot.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2015, 09:01:51 AM »

I hope that wasn't directed at me. I've had the cards for months now.

Secondly I didn't attend Origins because i'm still in my busy work season for 2 more weeks. But I will be at GenCon.

And yeah, if I was at Origins, and since I know how impatient everyone on here is, I would have snapped pictures of every card and posted them up here because they have been released publicly.

I had a guy from work who went to Origins, who was supposed to bring me back a copy of Battlegrounds, but forgot. So i'm kinda mad about that, But now you have to wait until the national release to see some Arcane Duels videos of Domination.

And to bash the people of central Ohio for not going to Origins and saying there is no player base there, welcome to the freaking club, finding a player base anywhere for MW is extremely difficult. I'm finding more people are getting into Doomtown then are even willing to give Mage Wars a shot.

I was not directing anything at you. I was not bashing  anyone. I'm not angry at people for not trying mage wars, I'm just incredulous and extremely frustrated at the situation. And I'm not pointing fingers, but there was some undeserved slightly indignant nagging going on and that was kinda rude, but like I said I'm not all that upset with them because there really wasn't any ill intent in it and they were just being very very impatient and anticipating the long awaited next expansion and they sort of projected that impatience at the super long wait onto me. And then I started rambling about the slightly related topic of how few mage wars players there at in the area where origins takes place each year, since that's been on my mind and I thought it would be okay to talk about and that it wouldn't be going off topic for this thread.

I'm sorry if something I said rubbed you the wrong way. But can we please keep things civil.

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2015, 12:13:30 PM »
Give us a link!

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2015, 01:37:09 PM »
Um. It's really easy to find, but....

https://www.facebook.com/arcanewonders/photos_stream

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2015, 07:16:11 AM »

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2015, 08:49:49 AM »
Really? That surprises me. Thought there was more, especially considering all the previews they've done already.

Maybe you could see some of the cards in the pictures even if they're not just pictures of individual cards? Like, did you look at any of the pictures of people playing domination against Laddinfance or apprentice mode domination? You should be able to see some new cards in there.

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2015, 10:40:31 AM »
Blur (promo) is the only reasonably visible card. Surprised that after a week, nobody seems able to upload card images (aside from an attempt on BGG that didn't get past mods and a text version of a few of the cards).

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2015, 11:48:54 AM »
I had enough teasers!!!
Now I want the box in my swiss shop!!! (+ academy + Syren&Paladin + an extension with an elementalist + santa bringing it all to me, riding his Galador sleigh!!!)

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2015, 02:54:25 PM »
Swiss had Santa? I live in impression that "christmass" symbol is tree or something (Thogorath? :D )

• Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )