May 03, 2024, 05:03:35 AM

Author Topic: New team format! don't know what to call it  (Read 3304 times)

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
New team format! don't know what to call it
« on: May 03, 2015, 03:33:42 PM »
Mages do not share life.

Mage life values stay the same as on their ability card, no need for special modifiers that have to be calculated. That being said, you probably don't want the game to take too long. I recommend reducing each mage's life value by 10 or 20, depending on how many players there are and how long you want the game to last.

When a mage dies, it continues to play as if it didn't die until all friendly mages are also dead.

Objective of course is to kill all enemy mages.

Best played with teams of 2 or 3 players and up to three teams, but might be possible to adapt in other ways.

Not sure if teleport restrictions are necessary, especially since astral anchor is coming out soon and mages neither share life nor get eliminated when they die in this format.

What should this format be called?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 03:55:44 PM by Sailor Vulcan »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

ACG

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
Re: New team format! don't know what to call it
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 06:28:40 PM »
"Medium War"

As long as one mage is alive, they channel the spirits of their fallen comrades, keeping them in the arena.

To further the theme, dead mages are reborn with the Indestructible and Incorporeal traits (and obviously traits like Nonliving that are associated with Incorporeal).

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
New team format! don't know what to call it
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 06:32:46 PM »
Non living? Not sure about that. What function would that serve besides theme? It sounds like it might unbalance things...
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

adanaz

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 07:55:05 PM »
In terms of a name, how about "Mage Wars: Annihilation"?

I was thinking though, if a mage has 'died' and then carries on playing, I would assume that the 'dead' mages living opponents would not waste their resources attacking that mage and concentrate on the remaining 'living' mages.  However, the 'dead' mage would be a complete hindrance to the 'living' mages.  I think that you could consider some kind of restriction on the 'dead' mage such as a limit to quick action, non-attack spells, half mana channelling (rounded up or down) or something like that.  I think that there must be some kind of penalty for dying, otherwise the death of a mage doesn't have a great enough impact on a team.
  • Favourite Mage: Sortilege Wizard
"My favourite guilty pleasure? Are there innocent ones?" - Shadowcloak Vampire (M15).

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2015, 10:18:18 PM »

I was thinking though, if a mage has 'died' and then carries on playing, I would assume that the 'dead' mages living opponents would not waste their resources attacking that mage and concentrate on the remaining 'living' mages.  However, the 'dead' mage would be a complete hindrance to the 'living' mages.  I think that you could consider some kind of restriction on the 'dead' mage such as a limit to quick action, non-attack spells, half mana channelling (rounded up or down) or something like that.  I think that there must be some kind of penalty for dying, otherwise the death of a mage doesn't have a great enough impact on a team.

I'm thinking maybe that a mage that dies and has at least one not-defeated teammate gets incapacitated, and can't cast any spells until the next round, or something like that. Not sure though.

ACG

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 12:08:17 AM »

Since the objective is to kill all enemy mages, you don't need a penalty for dying (being one death closer to losing is the penalty). In fact, if the dead mage becomes stronger in some respects, that will keep things interesting for the losing team.

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2015, 12:02:03 PM »
That might cause some people to sacrifice their mages on purpose just to get those bonuses though. The way it is now, this format can basically be described as  "just like life-bonded, but it's easier to calculate and the separation of life totals is mostly aesthetic aside from LoS and targeting of effects relating to damage/life to and from mages"

Moloch

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2015, 03:33:25 PM »
Most importent rule then: Dead Mages can not receive any king of healing <-> remain dead.
Without this finite?life the mode would be hilariously broken.  ;D

For the sole purpose of keeping it simple I like this idea, there is sti9ll the strategic value of focus fire without the resulting frustration of early player elimination. Thunbs up!