May 03, 2024, 04:38:47 PM

Author Topic: Target becoming illegal during attack  (Read 5037 times)

Koz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Target becoming illegal during attack
« on: October 18, 2012, 03:10:58 PM »
This might be covered in the rulebook (and probably is), but I couldn't find it.  What happens if, in the middle of an attack, the target no longer becomes a legal target of that attack?  For instance, let's say that a Bitterwood Fox has a hidden Eagle's Wings on it and is targeted by an enemy melee strike.  Since an enchatment can be revealed between any of the 8 stages of an attack, you can reveal the Eagle's Wings after the declare attack step but before any dice have been rolled.  Since the Fox is now flying, it is not a legal target for melee strikes, so what happens?  Does the attack continue since the target was legal when it was declared, or does the attack fizzle since the target is now illegal?

A similar situation could arise with a card like Divine Intervention, where the target is suddenly on the other side of the map after the declare attack step.

Gewar

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
Re: Target becoming illegal during attack
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 03:49:34 PM »
Rulebook, page 19, Flying:
"A creature cannot gain or lose flying in the middle of an attack".

So the flying is easy to judge.

Rulebook, page 22, Revealing Enchantments:
"Enchantments cannot affect an event that occured before it was reveled."

I would say, that your creature would be damaged, if you haven't teleported it away before it was targeted, but I'm not sure.
"I've seen this spell before - sold in alleys, brothels, and taverns. Men want more life. Always, they want more life."
- Rae Ashar, Wench of the Flying Dragon

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 03:52:47 PM »
Quote from: "Gewar" post=2302

One gold star for Gewar

After the attack is fully resolved including damage. If the creature is still alive it would then gain flying.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Gewar

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 03:57:45 PM »
Quote from: "Shad0w" post=2304
One gold star for Gewar

I've got my copy of game today and it is so much easier and more exciting to use paper Rulebook over .pdf one :D
"I've seen this spell before - sold in alleys, brothels, and taverns. Men want more life. Always, they want more life."

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 04:21:47 PM »
The only reason I use the PDF is because I am at work.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Koz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 04:21:48 PM »

Well that answers that, and I figured it was covered in the rulebook.

I would say, that your creature would be damaged, if you haven't teleported it away before it was targeted, but I'm not sure.

But, by that logic the example used in the rulebook is invalid.  In the rulebook it gives the example that a player could reveal a Rhino Hide in the middle of an attack to reduce damage, and this would certainly be "affecting an event that occured before it was revealed".  So, I don't think we have a clear answer on the Divine Intervention issue just yet.

As an additional question (more of a clarification really), going back to the revealing of a Rhino Hide during an attack, you can reveal this inbetween the rolling dice step and the apply damage step right?  So I could wait and see the damage rolled and then choose to reveal the Rhino Hide before I take any damage right?  Pretty sure I can, but I want to make sure.

Arcanus

• Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 04:39:43 PM »
Hi Koz!

You can reveal an enchantment between Attack Steps.  As long as it does not alter a prior event, it will affect the attack.  

For example, if you reveal Rhino Hide immediately after the Roll the Dice Step, it can and will help reduce the damage done, since damage has not been applied yet.  

Likewise, Divine Intervention was specifically designed for just such a purpose.  Wait for the attack dice to roll, see the result, if it's horrible call upon Asyra to whisk you away before the Apply Damage and Effects Step!  Watch your opponents face turn from elation (after rolling 8 crits and a Stun!) to surprise and defeat!

Even an attacker might use Divine Intervention after making an attack, just before the Counterstrike Step, to avoid a nasty Counterstrike.

Using spells in such a manner adds some great tactics and surprises to the game.

However, you can't change prior events.  For example, revealing Divine Intervention after the Apply Damage and effects Step might whisk you away, but you still took the damage and effects.

Hope that helps!

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 04:41:43 PM »
Quote from: "Koz" post=2310

Well that answers that, and I figured it was covered in the rulebook.

But, by that logic the example used in the rulebook is invalid.  In the rulebook it gives the example that a player could reveal a Rhino Hide in the middle of an attack to reduce damage, and this would certainly be "affecting an event that occured before it was revealed".  So, I don't think we have a clear answer on the Divine Intervention issue just yet.

As an additional question (more of a clarification really), going back to the revealing of a Rhino Hide during an attack, you can reveal this in between the rolling dice step and the apply damage step right?  So I could wait and see the damage rolled and then choose to reveal the Rhino Hide before I take any damage right?  Pretty sure I can, but I want to make sure.

Making an Attack
When you attack, you must follow these steps in order:
1. Declare Attack
2. Avoid Attack
3. Roll Dice
4. Damage and Effects
5. Additional Strikes
6. Damage Barrier
7. Counterstrike
8. Attack Ends

In the rulebook it gives the example that a player could reveal a Rhino Hide in the middle of an attack to reduce damage, and this would certainly be "affecting an event that occured before it was revealed"
Each step in an attack is a separate event.

So I could wait and see the damage rolled and then choose to reveal the Rhino Hide before I take any damage right? Yes  it would be between steps 3 and 4. After the dice are rolled before the damage is applied.

Hope that helps.

Gewar

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2012, 04:43:10 PM »
EDIT - nevermind - we have official answer now

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2012, 04:45:02 PM »
Figures we all respond at the same time. :lol:

Koz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2012, 04:51:12 PM »
Thanks for all the responses guys, much appreciated.  This confirms my thoughts that Divine Intervention is very powerful, which is why its costed so high.  

Thanks again everyone!

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2012, 04:53:19 PM »
It can be game turning when use correctly.