May 03, 2024, 09:04:09 PM

Author Topic: Friendly Nullify on opponent creature  (Read 4852 times)

piousflea

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Friendly Nullify on opponent creature
« on: October 07, 2012, 10:19:36 PM »
Halvor and I were playing a game tonight and this question came up:

I put and revealed an essence drain on a Hydra. Because I knew he had dispels, I then put a Nullify on the same hydra. He never ended up dispelling the hydra so this didn't come up until the game was over and we were chatting.

The question is whether Nullify can be used on enemy units. The card states, "When this creature is targeted by an incantation or enchantment spell controlled by an opponent, you MUST reveal Nullify during the Counter step. This spell is countered. Then, destroy Nullify."

So does the wording "a spell controlled by the opponent" refer to the opponent of the enchantment owner, or to the opponent of the creature? The way I am reading it, it refers to the opponent of Nullify's owner. If so there should be some less ambiguous way to word Nullify's text. Maybe "when this creature is targeted by a spell controlled by an opponent of Nullify's controller".

Assuming nullify would work on enemy creatures, what about this sequence:
1) I put nullify on enemy Mage.
2) I put reflect magic on my Mage.
3) He casts a dissolve on my Mage.
4) I reveal reflect and the dissolve goes back at his Mage.
The way I think it would work is, at this point I am the controller of both Dissolve and the hidden Nullify. Because I am not my own opponent, I am not required to reveal nullify and the Dissolve works normally. Am I correct?

Rumsey

• Playtester
  • Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Friendly Nullify on opponent creature
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 10:29:47 PM »
It appears to me that the creature has to be targeted by spells controlled by the opponent of its controller. The creature is the target and the "opponent" must be in opposition to the Hydra.

Rumsey

• Playtester
  • Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 10:33:08 PM »
You also have to remember that the opponent is not determined by control of the enchantment but rather the target of the spell that is being used against/on the target.

halvor

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 11:03:40 PM »
It really comes down to how you read: "a spell controlled by the opponent" and whether it refer to the opponent of the enchantment owner, or to the opponent of the creature?

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 11:57:03 AM »
Quote from: "piousflea" post=1864
Halvor and I were playing a game tonight and this question came up:

I put and revealed an essence drain on a Hydra. Because I knew he had dispels, I then put a Nullify on the same hydra. He never ended up dispelling the hydra so this didn't come up until the game was over and we were chatting.

The question is whether Nullify can be used on enemy units. The card states, "When this creature is targeted by an incantation or enchantment spell controlled by an opponent, you MUST reveal Nullify during the Counter step. This spell is countered. Then, destroy Nullify."

So does the wording "a spell controlled by the opponent" refer to the opponent of the enchantment owner, or to the opponent of the creature? The way I am reading it, it refers to the opponent of Nullify's owner. If so there should be some less ambiguous way to word Nullify's text. Maybe "when this creature is targeted by a spell controlled by an opponent of Nullify's controller".

Assuming nullify would work on enemy creatures, what about this sequence:
1) I put nullify on enemy Mage.
2) I put reflect magic on my Mage.
3) He casts a dissolve on my Mage.
4) I reveal reflect and the dissolve goes back at his Mage.
The way I think it would work is, at this point I am the controller of both Dissolve and the hidden Nullify. Because I am not my own opponent, I am not required to reveal nullify and the Dissolve works normally. Am I correct?

Spells controlled by an opponent are any spell not cast by you or your teammate(s)
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

piousflea

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 02:22:37 PM »
Quote from: "Shad0w" post=1912

Spells controlled by an opponent are any spell not cast by you or your teammate(s)

So to be 100% clear:

I can cast nullify on a hostile creature to prevent my opponent from being able to use beneficial spells on it.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 03:26:19 PM »
Quote from: "piousflea" post=1927
Quote from: "Shad0w" post=1912

So to be 100% clear:

I can cast nullify on a hostile creature to prevent my opponent from being able to use beneficial spells on it.

What is the target on Nullify?

Currently at work with no cards.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Arcanus

• Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 04:04:33 PM »
Hi guys,

Nullify refers to opponents of the controller of Nullify (not opponents of the target of Nullfiy).

This was intentional, so that Nullify could be used to protect your own creatures from harmful spells (while not limiting your own), and also be used to keep the enemy from buffing their own creatures.  For example, it could be used against the Beastmaster, when he is going to buff a big creature with Bear Strength.

In the example given with Dissolve and Reverse Magic, you are correct, the Nullfiy would not trigger against the Dissolve you now control.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 04:08:51 PM »
Always good to hear from you Arcanus since I did not have the cards I was not going to make a final call till I had seen all the info.