May 04, 2024, 01:36:38 PM

Author Topic: Anvil Dwarf Matchup Advantage vs Fire and Lightning  (Read 6290 times)

Dr.Cornelius

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Anvil Dwarf Matchup Advantage vs Fire and Lightning
« on: April 08, 2014, 02:14:08 AM »
Anyone else notice how the new Anvil Dwarf has a substantial matchup advantage against Flame or Lightning based opponents?

The key is Elemental Cloak.  With the Anvil Dwarf's ability, the net effect against Fire and Lightning is -2 attack dice and -4 to the effect roll.  For only one additional mana, the Anvil Dwarf can cast Elemental Cloak with Reforging Rune.   The first Dissolve costs the opposing mage two additional mana (net one mana disadvantage), and the Anvil Dwarf can simply re-cast the Elemental Cloak a second time with the Fortification Rune to add +1 armor and 2 mana destruction tax.   

Throw in Armor Ward or a well timed Nullify and the Anvil Dwarf has a good chance to severely blunt Fire and Lightning attacks for the entire match.

Hard to see how Fire Warlocks and Elemental Damage Wizards are going to compete.   Yes, 4 wands and 4 Dissolves give them a shot, but the Anvil Dwarf can prioritize taking out the wands, and can add more sophisticated tricks like Enchantment Transfusion + Nullify to protect the cloak.

Hopefully the playtesters will be able to enlighten us after the release...

echephron

• Player
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • The finest in mage wear...
    • View Profile
Re: Anvil Dwarf Matchup Advantage vs Fire and Lightning
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 03:03:06 AM »
I think you are being too narrowly focused. Specific equipment can be good against specific strategies. I think its called your "toolbox"(things only in your book to counter popular strategies). Dwarf has almost twice as large of an equipment only toolbox(due to reforging).

examples of other counterplay equipment:
Mage Staff vs incorporeal/fliers
vet belt/armour, war hammer versus swarm
Dodge boots versus few big or attack spells mage

My examples may suck, but the idea behind it seems good.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 04:00:57 AM »
Elemental Cloak and the Dwarf's innate Tough -2 ability do work very well together. You could then throw in a Colossus Belt for a total of -6 to the effect roll. Dragonscale Hauberk or Storm Drake Hide could add further protection against a particular element of your disdain, giving a possible -4 attack dice and -8 to the effect roll.

I don't think this creates an insurmountable hurdle for any of the other mages, however. Other than the Priest, all other mages have an untyped melee attack that they can fall back on. They all have methods to remove equipment. They can simply buff their attacks to compensate. It is a good tactic against elemental foes, but don't write them off too quickly.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 05:22:20 AM »
The priest can also just put a burn token on you if he smacks you. Elemental Cloaks don't protect against light after all. As for the Warlock, there is that new Incantation that just puts a burn token on a target without one. There's that other new necklace that puts burn tokens on anyone cursed. And that curse that keeps burn tokens on people.

The dwarf, he be a tough one to crack I admit, but tough don't mean impossible.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 07:48:14 AM »
It is just a -2... Stop to add tons of equipment and say "omg, I can get -8 vs fire attack"... Guess what? Other mages can get -6 with the same equipment...

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 07:55:20 AM »
It is just a -2... Stop to add tons of equipment and say "omg, I can get -8 vs fire attack"... Guess what? Other mages can get -6 with the same equipment...

+5

Until acid ball was released i tough had no value to me.

If its worth casting a fireball against a target. Then its still worth casthing that very same fireball against that very same target with tough -2.

Will i cast fireballs on a dwarf with dragonscale hauberk & elemental cloak. Of course not.

Vs a dwarf without any equipment. Of course Yes. (if the situation is right and i wish to invest in attack spells.)