May 04, 2024, 10:59:22 AM

Author Topic: Beast Masters! Who's your favorite pet?  (Read 23358 times)

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
Re: Beast Masters! Who's your favorite pet?
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2014, 01:11:19 PM »
I'm not gonna  lie I'm looking forward to trying out the Mountain Ram with some Cheetah Speed on it. It could be a wrecking machine as a pet.

Now in relation to the Steelclaw Grizzly I have found that mid to late game if you don't have a pet or have already lost it, if you're able to drop the enormous amounts of mana into it then a pet grizzly is an awesome way to totally change the tide of battle. Again this is situation only though but if it works.....

I'm also intrigued by the new Pharoahs Cheetah from the promo set. That could be awesome.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2014, 01:24:11 PM »
Pet Spitting Raptor is pretty boss.

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2014, 02:14:55 PM »
Pet Spitting Raptor is pretty boss.

Its my favorite after Falcon pet. It makes the raptor as strong as a Grizzly for 2 less mana (and just 3 less hp).

For the Tegu pet, I confirm that if you are not a Necromancer, it hurts bad to have this thing chasing you.

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2014, 02:27:54 PM »
Also, honorable mention to the lesser used Pet Darkfenne Bat.

Kharhaz

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2014, 04:18:23 PM »
End of the day the pet token is 1 / 2 melee, 1 armor, 3 health buff regardless of which creature for Level +1 mana.

On a falcon or fox you get the best deal as that is a 2 mana boost. The tegu or unicorn have arguably the best chances of keeping it up longer and making the most out of the ability. I think the ram is more fun but yes one of the defensive themed creatures is probably the best bet for it.

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2014, 04:21:20 PM »
Or a half bear strength, a half rhino and a 75% bullendurance all in 1 package - safe from dispell.

If there were no limit on the amount of pets, then BM's wouldnt be casting nothing BUT pets. - the exception being grizzlies'.

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2014, 04:25:03 PM »
Or a half bear strength, a half rhino and a 75% bullendurance all in 1 package - safe from dispell.

If there were no limit on the amount of pets, then BM's wouldnt be casting nothing BUT pets. - the exception being grizzlies'.

And is stackable with all the aforementioned spells.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2014, 10:36:23 PM »

And is stackable with all the aforementioned spells.

Yeah it's really easy to get really disgusting on a creature fast! Beast Master has his weaknesses but decent help isn't one of them.
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2014, 10:45:28 PM »
I haven't tried using Pet on a Spitting Raptor. I mostly like Spitting Raptors for the ability to remove armor, and while a Pet's melee attack gets buffed, their ranged attacks are not improved.

I've tried using a Pet Emerald Tegu, and while it is certainly functional, I prefer Timber Wolf, even with just the core set. With the addition of undead, Iron Golems, and Devouring Jellies, Emerald Tegu has become more situational.

Kharhaz

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2014, 10:49:12 PM »

I've tried using a Pet Emerald Tegu, and while it is certainly functional, I prefer Timber Wolf, even with just the core set. With the addition of undead, Iron Golems, and Devouring Jellies, Emerald Tegu has become more situational.

Agreed,

It is more about the 4 armor and 11 health. With the added bonus of every animal kinship you drop giving you +1 armor. Beastmaster has a lot of potential to spin out of control in a very good way. He only needs one or two more things to click.....

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2014, 10:53:57 PM »
He only needs one or two more things to click.....

I big dose from a mana pump once Orb and Obelisk are dropped....
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2014, 11:05:57 PM »
If you think Orb and Obelisk are a problem, you can run Mana Prism, you can use Fast creatures to kill the conjurations, and/or you can lead off by improving your channeling. I often like to lead off with a pair of Mana Flowers anyway. Besides, Orb and Obelisk only matter significantly against swarm. If I only plan to play 2 Steelclaw Grizzlies and a Pet Timber Wolf, Orb and Obelisk aren't going to cripple me the way that it could against 6 Bitterwood Foxes.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2014, 12:46:24 AM »
Yeah the Orb and Obelisk can be an issue, or you can just Force Hammer then into oblivion 8) Not exactly a "Nature friendly" way to do it but sometimes you gotta steal a trick from another mages book.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2014, 09:57:00 AM »
You have to have mana to play force hammer and to make those fast critters go in the first place. I would drop orb and obelisk after the swarm was built not before.  Then I start having fun with push, also now is the time to go beat up the so called master....
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2014, 01:10:06 PM »
After the swarm is built you don't really need mana for much else. The Obelisk is another good arguement for that Mountain Ram when it comes out.