May 15, 2024, 03:30:52 PM

Author Topic: GreyElephant Gaming Mage Wars Video FiF match  (Read 7923 times)

Lord0fWinter

• Warden of the North
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
  • www.magewars.weebly.com
    • View Profile
GreyElephant Gaming Mage Wars Video FiF match
« on: June 16, 2014, 02:34:15 PM »
GreyElephant Gaming (Here is their website) has done a playthrough of Mage Wars using the two new Mages from FiF.

The first part can be found -->Here<--.

The second and final part is -->Here<--.

They made a couple of mistakes but overall it's a great video and is the first playthrough I know of that shows the two new Mages in action. I'd like to thank them for doing it and encourage everybody to check out the video. They seem very enthusiastic about the game and hopefully they do more videos in the future!
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
Visit my Mage Wars blog at www.magewars.weebly.com, also check me out on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/MageWarsBlog and on twitter at @MageWarsBlog

abyssalstalker

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: GreyElephant Gaming Mage Wars Video FiF match
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 07:51:39 PM »
Thanks for sharing, I've been waiting for this.

Any idea what the ruling is on the runeforged -1 mana on the generals signet ring? That does seem pretty strong. At the same time, that makes that ring very desirable for a dispel.

echephron

• Player
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • The finest in mage wear...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 08:12:21 PM »
@abyssalstalker the ruling on the power rune is currently NO on mana discount items. check my long thread about it
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

kiwipaul

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 02:56:04 AM »
Great to see you guys playing again

pete2

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 07:48:43 AM »
i will definitely watch this later..after work...

That reminds me that i would like to see much more match-ups on youtube...

i've seen a couple of video's from charmyna a while ago..too bad he didn't continue..i liked it very much

coverage of matches at conventions would also be cool...

maybe some day when mage wars will be bigger than MTG !
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

Lord0fWinter

• Warden of the North
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 08:16:30 AM »
That reminds me that i would like to see much more match-ups on youtube...

I wish I had a better camera to take video.... I'd be glad to do videos but my camera is pretty awful so it'd be terrible quality.
Visit my Mage Wars blog at www.magewars.weebly.com, also check me out on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/MageWarsBlog and on twitter at @MageWarsBlog

kiwipaul

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2014, 09:53:24 AM »
would be great to hear what happened at Origins, with videos would make it all the better.  We don't want to know much, just;
- What were the spellbooks
- who played
- how many in the competition
- how was it organised and run
- what tactics were seen
- Who won
- how did they win
- which mages were popular

and of course some videos

Arlemus

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2014, 10:27:13 AM »
I'm torn between these play videos because, while I appreciate the time it takes for people to put them together, I've never seen one that wasn't littered with errors.  And by "errors" I mean not following card rules, much less misplays.

Is it really that hard to see that you need 2 mana on a pentagram or barracks to cast a creature? :-\

Lord0fWinter

• Warden of the North
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2014, 10:51:19 AM »
I'm torn between these play videos because, while I appreciate the time it takes for people to put them together, I've never seen one that wasn't littered with errors.  And by "errors" I mean not following card rules, much less misplays.

Is it really that hard to see that you need 2 mana on a pentagram or barracks to cast a creature? :-\

Well, everybody makes errors when playing. I know I still make mistakes all the time. With a game this complicated, it can be hard for most people to keep track of everything. I think the 2 mana minimum is pretty easy to overlook for people who don't play the game constantly.

Despite the errors, ANY video playthroughs are good for the community in my eyes. Especially when the people doing them have over 2,000 subscribers, like they do at GreyElephant.

Their videos help showcase the game to new players who aren't going to notice the mistakes anyway. As long as they see that the game is fun and that the people playing are having a great time, I think that is the most important thing.

I agree that for the players who are serious, like most of those on this forum, it would be good to have more experienced players do a video, perhaps the tournament matches. But even then, mistakes will be made. That's what judges are for. Perhaps we'll see some in the future.

abyssalstalker

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2014, 11:58:31 AM »
They made some pretty serious errors but that definitely comes with the territory of a game with hundreds of cards. The most glaring is how they perceive piercing in my opinion. Overall, I think for casuals they did a pretty good job.

In fact, a couple of plays they made were very surprising and I'm unsure if they actually work. If you use Sectarus with a Rise Again would that be a legal play? It says that if the sword is used to attack and damage you can cast a spell. When does Rise Again get casted? Before or after damage is resolved from the swing? It it is after the damage is resolved, isn't the target dead so you can't cast Rise Again on it?

The General Signets ring with the Power Rune (-1 mana) was pretty creative as well. It seems that it is ruled that the rune can't be placed on mana discount items but it was still a pretty smart play and I could see it being possible. That being said, would we generally see the power rune on stuff like wands? I also assume it could be used on Helm of Command. Could it be used on an item like Horn of Gothos in which the equipment has a cast type of action?

Carmen had "Ghoul Rot" attached to the warlord before he brought his Harshforge plate out. When she later revealed it, he had her pay two extra for the harshforge plate cost. I was under the impression the cost came when you targeted the mage. Anyone know what the ruling is on this?

Disarm - I'm not entirely sure how powerful this is. They mention it doesn't affect traits yet they said in the preview it can strip dragonscale hauberk. Isn't armor +X a trait? It also said it doesn't affect defense from something like the reflex boots. I can understand it stopping you from swinging with a weapon or not being able to cast with a wand or use an ability like the horn of gothos... but after that it gets really confusing. Is there an easy way I can understand this?

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2014, 12:15:12 PM »
Sectarus can be used to place a "Rise Again" on a creature. However, to place the enchantment the sword must damage it's target. Therefore, damage must be applied, and if that damage would kill the target then there is no one to cast "Rise Again" on.

The Power Rune only works with items that give you spell actions. Discount ring while awesome, are not improved by the Power Rune. The Horn of Gothos does not give you a spell action. It has a triggered ability that occurs when you use your battle orders. So, it is not improved by the Power Rune either. Even with that said the Power Rune can be used in conjunction with Elemental Wand, Mage Wand, Helm of Command, Wand of Healing, and Dispel Wand.

The disable ability is pretty simple. If it is a trait, then it stays, but if it grants another object a trait then it's gone. Basically, traits are a pretty intrinsic part of an object, but things like Dragonscale Hauberk that grant the Armor +2 trait to a mage, can be turned off because that is the ability of the equipment, to grant that trait to another object.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2014, 12:17:37 PM »
Sectarus can be used to place a "Rise Again" on a creature. However, to place the enchantment the sword must damage it's target. Therefore, damage must be applied, and if that damage would kill the target then there is no one to cast "Rise Again" on.

The Power Rune only works with items that give you spell actions. Discount ring while awesome, are not improved by the Power Rune. The Horn of Gothos does not give you a spell action. It has a triggered ability that occurs when you use your battle orders. So, it is not improved by the Power Rune either. Even with that said the Power Rune can be used in conjunction with Elemental Wand, Mage Wand, Helm of Command, Wand of Healing, and Dispel Wand.

The disable ability is pretty simple. If it is a trait, then it stays, but if it grants another object a trait then it's gone. Basically, traits are a pretty intrinsic part of an object, but things like Dragonscale Hauberk that grant the Armor +2 trait to a mage, can be turned off because that is the ability of the equipment, to grant that trait to another object.
What about the flame -2 part?
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2014, 12:20:42 PM »
That is also a trait that is granted by the armor. When it becomes disabled, the Mage will lose both of the traits that Dragonscale Hauberk grants.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2014, 01:41:52 PM »
I knew that but was asking for clarity's sake. The way I think about it is items on or below the attack bar are Disabled, but items on the top (subtypes etc) and side (Channeling, Armor, Life) stay in place.

I am not sure this is 100% but I think it covers a majority of cases....
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

abyssalstalker

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2014, 02:01:58 PM »
I knew that but was asking for clarity's sake. The way I think about it is items on or below the attack bar are Disabled, but items on the top (subtypes etc) and side (Channeling, Armor, Life) stay in place.

I am not sure this is 100% but I think it covers a majority of cases....

This is actually pretty legit and probably the easiest for me to understand. So, wouldn't you be able to disarm reflex boots or deflection bracers, then since it provides you with defense? If you can disarm armor it seems only natural to be able to disarm a piece of equipment that provides defense. However, this becomes a bit weird with an item such as Spiked Shield which has an innate defense of its own.

Are damage barriers are also affected by disable?

I'm going to assume that even if there is 2 disarms on Sectarus  it will always gain a mana each upkeep since it has an innate channel ability on the item itself?

It seems that since disable is removed during the reset stage that unless you have more than one disable that traits like regeneration or channeling +1 (like moonglow amulet) won't be affected since that happens later during the upkeep stage.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 02:09:13 PM by abyssalstalker »