May 17, 2024, 05:00:36 PM

Author Topic: God of War (Warlord Spellbook)  (Read 5700 times)

Diji

• Consummate Professional
  • Playtester
  • Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • …and so it begins
    • View Profile
God of War (Warlord Spellbook)
« on: July 05, 2013, 04:06:08 PM »
I'll post the build then breakdown some of my favorite opening moves with it.

Mage: Warlord

Equipment...

Morning Star
Colossus Belt
Sunfire Amulet
Dragonscale Hauberk
Elemental Cloak
2X Reflex Boots
Defense Ring

Conjurations...

2X Tanglevine
2X Wall Of Thorns
2X Ballista

Creatures...

Goblin Builder
Goblin Grunt
Thunderift Falcon
Dwarf Panzergarde

Enchantments...

Block
Reverse Attack
Nullify
Mind Shield
Rhino Hide
Cheetah Speed
Hawkeye
Bear Strength
Agony
Poisoned Blood
Armor Ward
Enfeeble
Akiros Favor
Hellfire Trap

Incantations...

Seeking Dispel
3X Force Push
Teleport
2X Purify
2X Dissolve
2X Sniper Shot
2X Dispel
Battle Fury
Minor Heal
Charge
Sleep

Attack Spells...

4X Hurl Boulder
2X Flameblast
Hurl Meteorite

That's my build. I play it incredibly fast and that's what I love about it. Here are some opening moves I like...

Turn 1 - 19 Mana (and this is a strong open in any build, btw)

Hold quickcast. With your full action move one zone to the left and cast Ballista in the zone in front of you, then quickcast the second Ballista in the zone to your left. (-16 Mana) Ballista comes in with one token on it, after upkeep they are properly loaded and ready to fire on turn 2.

Turn 2 - 12 Mana

Now here is where you have options.

If you believe the opposing mage is foolish enough to end his or her turn in a zone where they are vulnerable to both ballistas (danger zone) without a block, defense or reverse attack then grab hurl meteorite and a random card (that you won't be using) and lay waste for a grand total of 19 dice! Ouch! Alternatively, if they are in range you could opt for sniper shot and hurl boulder if you are concerned about the aforementioned defenses.

Personally, depending on the opponent I will grab either teleport or force push and pair that with enfeeble or akiros favor. Hold quickcast. If the opposing mage is within two zones of my Warlord, I push or teleport them into one of the danger zones then cast enfeeble or akiros favor face down. Afterwards, let loose the bolts of the ballista. If somehow your opponent ends in a zone where one ballista cannot fire on him or her, find another target. (Mana Flower, Hand of Bim Shalla, Battleforge, etc.)  Always fire both if you can.

Turn 3 - Variable Mana

While the two ballista reload we need to keep the pressure up - sniper shot into hurl boulder, or reveal enfeeble during upkeep in an attempt to force a dispel. In any case, keep putting the damage on and moving closer to the mage. In the case of an opposing forcemaster, expect a forcefield - if possible, place mind shield on them after they have cast forcefield face down, most will not see this block coming and on the turn they attempt to resolve it (turn 4) it will cost them time and tempo they don't have. (This obviously also works effectively against reverse attack and block)

Turn 4 - Variable Mana

The name of the game at this point is get them in the danger zone. Once you have resolved this turn you should be in a comfortable position where the opposing mage needs to be considering a counter strategy, or if you've had great rolls, a survival strategy. Either way they will be hurting and if the forcemaster manages a forcefield, a cheaper alternative to dispel that will also deal damage is a force push through a wall of thorns.

Let me know what you guys think. This is the first book I've posted so I would love to hear some effective counters and/or opinions on what to add or remove. And by all means try this book out, it's a blast!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 09:59:33 PM by Dijirati »
  • Favourite Mage: Arraxian Crown Warlock

Fentum

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Re: God of War (Warlord Spellbook)
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 05:30:00 AM »

It's a nice build and kudos for taking the time to post your thinking.

Ultimately, I am a bit worried that promo cards are creeping into many posted builds recently. Ballista, for example.

Diji

• Consummate Professional
  • Playtester
  • Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • …and so it begins
    • View Profile
Re: God of War (Warlord Spellbook)
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 03:49:21 PM »
Thanks, and completely I agree about the promos. It's comforting to know that all of them will eventually be available to everyone. I hated not having Galador for a long time (despite the fact that I never use him).
  • Favourite Mage: Arraxian Crown Warlock