May 17, 2024, 04:38:13 PM

Author Topic: iOS/iPad/Mobile spellbook builder (photos of my work)  (Read 20074 times)

BlueByLiquid

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
iOS/iPad/Mobile spellbook builder (photos of my work)
« on: May 25, 2013, 11:25:29 PM »
Hi guys,

Just got word from AW that I can't release my iPad spellbook builder. I initially created it for my own personal use but since it worked so well I wanted to release it as an app. I only mention it because I had spoken to some of you guys and I told you I was trying to get it released. I am sharing just to show you guys what I have working since you won't get to see it). Here are some of the features I added hopeing to release it. Don't hate on the design as all the artwork is placeholder which a professional artist and animator had started on replacing for me (see notes on this below).

1. Extremely fast to build a spellbook. One figer tap on a card adds one copy of the card to the to the deck. two fingers removes it. You can literally build the example spellbooks in under a minute.  This is great for verifying someones spellbook in a very quick fashion to make sure they are not cheating (or simply that they can add an multiple properly)
2. Generates an alphanumberic code which will regenerate your spellbook inside of the app so you can easily share your book with someone. Also you can email it or post a link to twitter. This was my favorite as sharing spellbooks is Awesome but almost impossible currently as it would take forever.
3. Cards you can't add to your deck (Because of your selected Mage are faded out so you can still see them but your aren't distracted by them.
4. You can filter by everything on the card. Damage type, attribute, cost, benefit, (if it is on the card you can filter by it).
5. You can see detailed statistics showing how much each type of cards were costing you. (i.e Creatures, equipment, etc).
6. Each card displays the number included and the total cost.
7. You can just show your spellbook so you can quickly see your cards and remove any you don't want.
8. Resizable grid to any size and very fast vertical scrolling.

Stuff not shown in the screenshots and notes
- I had newer photos of work I had done but have lots motivation and for other reason (see next item) I can't release.  as it will never see the light of day. That includes the filters shown are just the basic ones. I have a detailed sub menu showing these. Also this build it doesn't show the selected mage and uses a gesture to switch between them.
- I have a much better interface but was working with an artist and animator on a conditional release and cannot show his work since we were unable to get permission to release the app. It had some really neat effects and much better icons.
- It also runs on Android and Windows.
- I haven't shown the alphanumeric generator. I spent a lot of time on making sure the spellbooks could be generated in as few characters as possible so you could write it down without too much effort and I didn't want to give any of this away. I am sure someone could do it to just I thought I did some neat work in this area.

Notes: please note I really like mage wars and would like to have released this but I am in no way bitter or angry, (maybe a bit sad :) ,  I just wanted to show you guys what I have done because it is really great to use and really helps me develop better spellbooks on my iPad.

So here are a few images with my prototype artwork:

« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 11:32:35 PM by BlueByLiquid »

nitrodavid

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
    • East Coast Hobbies
Re: iOS/iPad/Mobile spellbook builder (photos of my work)
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 12:57:08 AM »
that's some nice work man, i would use it just for the photos of the cards.
Being Aussie we place all our cards face down, apart from enchantments which are face up

paradox22

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • MOKAN Mage Wars
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2013, 01:07:17 AM »
Looks amazing man... sure wish we had access to an app or online spellbook builder.   :-\
Si vis pacem para bellum

Fentum

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2013, 03:31:48 AM »

Oh man that is outstanding. A virtual spell book would be a major step forward. Very likely to increase player base. The only downside would be the loss of my spare time.

What is the issue with release?

scorpio22

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2013, 11:19:25 AM »
did they mention anything why you are not allowed to release it?

Wiz-Pig

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2013, 10:32:53 PM »
Hunh, that doesn't bode well for me being able to share a printable pdf...

What did they say about why you couldn't release it? If you don't mind me asking.

pixelgeek

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2013, 08:46:43 AM »

Well I can't see why you'd think that a company would want you posting a printable PDF of their cards online. :-)
  • Favourite Mage: Adramelech Warlock
Arcane Wonders Web Guy
Problem with the forums or website?

Send me a PM

Words to live by: I commit strongly to defending my wand.   Precisely so that I don't lose it.

Fentum

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2013, 09:32:40 AM »

Well I can't see why you'd think that a company would want you posting a printable PDF of their cards online. :-)

Hi pixelgeek,

You write that, and I would normally agree, but there seems to be an abnormal level of altruism or at least support for good companies in the board game world. My experience would suggest that BGG'rs would always pay the price to support their favourite companies, and just use on line stuff to support play. We seem to have an honest and supportive community.

Heck, I'd be happy to just give AW some money, given the excellent game they have created... :)

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2013, 10:10:44 AM »

Sort of a like this http://www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/magewars/mage-wars-card-spoilers/_/core/, what kind of company would do that? My guess is these are not hi-res scans, but are still easily printable.

My guess is they have already licensed the rights to do this to someone else or they are already doing it in-house. Which hopefully means we will get to see something here soon. Just a swag at it though....
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 10:19:11 AM by sIKE »
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Wiz-Pig

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2013, 01:16:15 PM »
point 1: it's not exactly economical to print and cut out cards yourself, in fact you would spend a lot more then the price of just buying them to get the same quality.

point 2: In order to be used for reference the cards don't have to be at full size. In the case of the pdf in question they are only about 2/3 the size of the actual cards.

point 3: Watermarking the cards wouldn't impair the useability of a reference.

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2013, 11:50:37 AM »
For the love of god... let the guy release this. Im still having sexy dreams about that app!!!

Fentum

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2013, 02:56:13 PM »

I'm with jack

szendroib

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2013, 03:18:27 PM »
I'm sure the inhouse solution will be awesome, but the community could use a fast and easy to use deckbuilder, that can even share decks. For now typing in your decks to the forum could be a chore. Was this deckbuilder intended as a paid app? Because than I would see the problem. Other than that I don't think it is denied in the defence of the cards since the base set is on cardgamedb, and you can find the FMvsWL scans online if you really want to. Bottom line, I can't wait for a good deckbuilder, be it the inhouse one, the extended cardgamedb one, or this beauty.

MrSaucy

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2013, 04:27:37 PM »
For the love of god... let the guy release this. Im still having sexy dreams about that app!!!

:o
"See you space cowboy..."

pixelgeek

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2013, 04:37:07 PM »

Maybe I am in the minority but the screenshots he has shown look very rough. Its difficult to see how the app is meant to work, it doesn't look like an iOS app at all and the idea of having to save alphanumeric strings leaves me cold.
  • Favourite Mage: Adramelech Warlock
Arcane Wonders Web Guy
Problem with the forums or website?

Send me a PM

Words to live by: I commit strongly to defending my wand.   Precisely so that I don't lose it.