May 03, 2024, 09:35:53 AM

Author Topic: Nullify  (Read 7486 times)

DarkForceMaster

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Nullify
« on: May 19, 2013, 08:59:06 PM »
Hello everyone  :)

I was looking through my decks today and played a couple games with my father, we realized that in each of our decks we would run nullify.........and so then the games we played just were games about who played nullify when. I did not enjoy the fact that in this game you NEED to run nullify or else you would not be able to do anything useful, because your opponent would just nullify you. So we realized that this card is a staple in every deck but we did not want it to become a nullify game, a game which we would nullify each other until we ran out of nullifies. This part of the game took a lot of time, so we discussed the idea of limiting nullify to a max of 2 in each deck, instead of 6. I just want to put this out there, to see what you guys think and if this idea should be made a rule.
Evil acts are committed every day,
So therefore the world is evil.
I would have to disagree.
Yes, the world may be filled to the brim with darkness,
But, if we try, with a smile or a hug,
We can light it up.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
Re: Nullify
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 09:29:17 PM »
Get a wand and bind a cheap (mana wise) attack spell to it and blast away, as you said can only have six in a deck. Seeking dispel make a good counter. When you have initiative, hit him with your bound attack spell then a Hurl boulder.

Buff up on your equipment and melee him when you start rolling 6-8 dice, Nullify will be the last card he will have time to play. Then try the Attack Spell/Hurl Boulder combo.

Have a familiar cast spells to trigger the Nullify, then hit him with something good.

The point is, if your opponent is playing Nullify heavily, then counter with a plan to make them useless. It won't take long and you will no longer have 6 of them in either of your books....
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 03:14:00 PM »
I have come to remove nullify from my tourney books as it is too limited and too easy to deal with.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Sarkath

• Playtester
  • New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 03:26:19 PM »
Get a wand and bind a cheap (mana wise) attack spell to it and blast away, as you said can only have six in a deck. Seeking dispel make a good counter. When you have initiative, hit him with your bound attack spell then a Hurl boulder.

Buff up on your equipment and melee him when you start rolling 6-8 dice, Nullify will be the last card he will have time to play. Then try the Attack Spell/Hurl Boulder combo.

Have a familiar cast spells to trigger the Nullify, then hit him with something good.

The point is, if your opponent is playing Nullify heavily, then counter with a plan to make them useless. It won't take long and you will no longer have 6 of them in either of your books....

I have come to remove nullify from my tourney books as it is too limited and too easy to deal with.

These guys hit it on the head. Especially someone like a Forcemaster who just runs up and pounds your head in, then walks away from your broken body, and coolly says, "Nullify that."

DarkForceMaster

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 04:53:06 PM »
 Thanks guys that was a big help, my opponent is really methodical and focuses. On getting through my mages defenses(forcemaster) and he uses nullify........im then getting beat in the face by a hydra or a werewolf and his damage is too great for me to combat, so to keep my defenses i use nullify to protect them.
We can light it up.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 05:01:26 PM »
Put an agony in your deck for the Hydra, add a Force Hold and Force Hold the FM and Move one zone out and used ranged attacks to beat the crap out him. This is of course after you have triggered his Nullify and after you Force Hold him, put your own Nullify on him :) and when he tries to Dispel ;) ....

DarkForceMaster

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 05:53:29 PM »
Oh, sorry i meant that i was playing FM and my opponent was playing wizard.
We can light it up.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2013, 06:04:06 PM »
Ok, now I am confused. How is he using Nullify to get through your Defenses?

When this creature is targeted by an incantation or enchantment spell controlled by an opponent, you must reveal Nullify during the Counter Spell Step. That spell is countered. Then, destroy Nullify.

DarkForceMaster

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2013, 06:08:48 PM »
Like he puts a nullify on me so i can't put any of my enchantments on( bear strength, forcefield, or target myself with battle fury, power strike). And he also puts them on his creatures so i can't charm or mind control them.
We can light it up.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2013, 06:19:00 PM »
Ok so instead of Bear Strength drop two or three Hand of Bim-Shalla. Place a Reverse Magic on yourself before he gets close enough to put a Nullify on you or put a Nullify on yourself. I have to put these on myself for Warlock curses so there will carry over to other decks.

You also need to be a bit more aggressive and make him "want" to do other things (you only get two actions a round) than cast a Nullify on you. You can do things on the turn you don't have Initiative to trigger the Nullify and on the next round during your Quick Cast Phase throw up your Forcefield then....just some ideas.

DarkForceMaster

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2013, 06:24:17 PM »
Wonderful ideas, thanks but about the nullify on myself, that's what I was getting at, once that nullifys gone then its who can put a nullify on me first, and running 4 of them he is most likely to do that, but i think reverse magic stops thats...........maybe......
We can light it up.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2013, 06:41:17 PM »
Just out of curiosity, what mage are you playing against?

DarkForceMaster

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2013, 07:26:37 PM »
I was plying against a wizard, a beastmaster,and a warlock on separate games, but my father(opponent) makes very similar decks but with different creatures but they all are basically control that can hit you in the face hard.
We can light it up.

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2013, 07:42:06 PM »
If nullifies are a big hassle, load up a thoughtspore with a cheap and easy to spam spell and just cruise around firing it off anytime you suspect hes got a Nullify.

Power Strike is a good choice for that.. it costs very little mana, and if it gets reversed all that happens is that your Spore gets +2 Melee. 

The recently teased Dispel Wand will also be make Nullify easy to manage.

Aarrow

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2013, 09:47:45 AM »
I am Darkforcemaster's opponent, and we do appreciate all the strategy feedback!

Some additional background info-
I've fallen in love with Nullify.  This quick surprise shield is usually game-changing for my builds.
This game greatly favors being unpredictable as well as knowing what your opponent will do next (this makes it difficult to playtest with my son alone).  Nullify protects against so many "forks" that could pop up in your road to victory.
I build very aggressive blitz decks accompanied with Jinx & Nullify to seal the deal.

The Wizard "usually" starts his game by Teleporting one zone and summoning a Hydra.  Then, on turn 2, gives him a Nullify and Teleports him to start the beatdown on the opposing mage.
The Warlock "usually" starts the same way with a Werewolf and tries to create a 2 on 1 fight against the Forcemaster. (these games have been close, he's able to defeat the pet before the Forcemaster dies, but my "emergency" push/thorns is enough to take care of the rest at that point.
The Beastmaster starts with Lair and swarms with Falcons/Wolves.  I usually plant a Jinx on the Forcemaster followed by an Agony whenever I have initiative.

Seeking dispel followed by a Nullify is brutal against my playstyle, but that takes both cards for the turn.  This is tough to do against an aggressive build.

We're looking for more ideas to counter these playstyles.  The ones offered so far have been great!!