May 02, 2024, 11:43:06 PM

Author Topic: My first Warlock Aggro build...Any suggestions?  (Read 9181 times)

Chili

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
My first Warlock Aggro build...Any suggestions?
« on: April 11, 2013, 08:08:46 AM »
Hello everyone, Chili here.  I just got done building my first Warlock Aggro build.  I thought I would post it so you all could check it out.  Please let me know what you think and offer constructive criticism if you have any.  Thanks.

Warlock

Creatures...

Adramelech, Lord of Fire
Goran, Werewolf Pet
Firebrand Imp  +++ changed to Darkfenne Bat
Firebrand Imp +++ changed to Darkfenne Bat
Necropian Vampiress

Enchantments...

Bear Strength
Bear Strenght
Block
Block
Bull Endurance
Cobra Reflexes
Death Link
Force Sword
Ghoul Rot
Ghoul Rot
Marked for Death
Marked for Death +++ removed to add something else
Nullify
Nullify
Retaliate
Reverse Attack
Reverse Magic
Rhino Hide
Vampirism
Vampirism

Attacks...

Fireball
Fireball
Flameblast
Flameblast

Equipment...

Deflection Bracers
Demonhide Armor
Elemental Wand
Enchanters Ring
Fireshapper Ring
Gauntlets of Strength
Helm of Fear
Lash of Hellfire
Lash of Hellfire
Leather boots
Regrowth Belt
Sectarus +++ Removed to add another Lash of Hellfire

Incantations....

Banish +++ Removed to add something else
Battle fury
Battle fury
Dispel
Dispel
Drain life
Heal
Heal
Piercing Strike
Piercing Strike
Power Strike
Power Strike
Teleport
Teleport

Conjurations...

Battle Forge
Sacrificial Altar

That's it.  If my math is right its just about 120.  I am thinking about losing a couple of the equipment and maybe adding a couple Bats, but I need to play it first and see how it goes I think.  Its pretty heavy on Enchantments as well.

What you think? Any suggestions please?
Thanks,
 Chili

DarthDadaD20

• Dark Father of Random Occurrence/TeamRocket Grunt
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
Re: My first Warlock Aggro build...Any suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 11:23:18 AM »
Welcome to the forums Chili!!

First, You need Battle forge. Its a must in this kind of deck, without battle forge you will be spending every round equipping yourself, when you could be attacking.

Take out Sectarus for a extra Lash of Hellfire. You are running nowhere near enough curses to warrant the use of a sectarus over a extra Lash.

Needs more bear strength. One for your mage is a must, one for your big creatures is as well, and you are running quite a few big creatures.

Add elemental cloak. Its not essential, but it helps alot more then you think.

You can have two rings equipped at one time. Fire shaper ring will add to the lash, as well as your attack spells. Get it in there.

Vampirism on a mage is great, Regrowth belt has won me games where I have been 6 damage away from dying, think about adding in regrowth belt.

You HAVE to have some dissolves. (Well, you dont have too, but you are going to need them) Explode is another option that really makes two actions into one, but cost alot of mana.

Death link is an amazing card for a dark mage,

With a mage wand, you might beable to cut down on some incantations, but this is really an option.

You have a good skeleton, but In my opinion, these changes will help you out immensely. Its just deciding on what to cut down on to fit them in that might present a problem. And remember to stay focused. Its so hard in this game to build a book with "tunnel vision" but remember, you are running an aggro deck, keep it aggro.
Where does my greatest enemy lie?
It has been around since the dawn of time,
it follows your loved ones as well as mine,
takes the form of a mountain as well as a flower,
it cannot be outrun by the greatest of power.
Within Shad0w.

Chili

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 12:08:33 PM »
Thanks so much for the welcome and the suggestions.  I have made some changes you can see above.  I have a friend arriving any minute so I will give this book a run and see how we do.  I hope he knows whats coming!  Well I guess not really :)

Thanks again.  Any more suggestions are appreciated.
Chili

DarthDadaD20

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 12:25:59 PM »
Well, your more then welcome. Good luck!
Within Shad0w.

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 02:19:25 PM »
You don't need Heals. Heal is better for control than it is for aggro, and it's quite expensive for a Warlock. Use vampiric and Block to keep your important creatures alive.

I'd include a Dark Pact Slayer so that I could make it my Blood Reaper.

I'd include a 3rd Dispel and at least 1 Agony. The extra Dispel will be particularly handy against the FM, and Agony is fantastic against the FM and doublstrike/triplestrike/sweeping attack creatures.

If you have the expansion, I'd include a Falcon Precision. You don't really have good ways of dealing with defenses, and Falcon Precision will help.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

Lightseed

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 02:52:24 PM »
Again those heals take a big room, more drain life instead or as someone else suggested a regrowth belt. consider something to nulify or get rid of bad enchantments from the enemy mage, you might need it. some kind of speed would be nice against the runner/turtle type .

Also i would suggest something to handle flying and ranged creatures, like a fog or 1 wall is enough.

Other than that what DarthDadaD20 said is enough to drive you to make compromises on your choices :). Good luck on your games!

malgor

• Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2013, 01:15:05 AM »
good start!

just a few things:

i think you need more curses..  enfeeble is great (makes them slow, buys you time).  you def need some maim wings to get rid of flying traits.  and poison blood to prevent healing.  magebane is also clutch-mage takes 1 direct damage for every spell cast.

ring of curses and the torment amulets are also must-haves IMO.  if you're curse heavy the ring will save you 1 every round.  Torment amulet is great bc in the upkeep phase you can pay one mana for each creature that has a curse on it to do one direct damage to them.  

this means with a card like death link you can pay 1 mana in upkeep to do 3 direct damage and heal 2 on yourself.  if it's a big creature and you throw enfeeble on there, you can just play dodge ball until it dies.  and remember these curses aren't big mana drains.  

also, remember your special ability which i think is underrated- you can put one curse back in your book when a creature dies.  remember this when you select curses and analyze your sequencing.  you can safely throw a ghoul rot on that bobcat at the end of the round and know that with your amulet it will take 3 damage, and when it dies you get that ghoul rot back.  can't tell you how helpful this is when dealing with low level creature swarms.

conjurations.  you need stuff to help you control the whole board. here's a rundown of the ones i find most handy:

idol of pestilence- every creature takes 1 damage each upkeep phase.  basically puts an egg timer on the game, and smaller creatures are nearly dead by the time they cross the board to come after you.  you have more hp than anyone else

deathlock- every creature has finite life.  this is clutch against a priestess especially.  she must destroy this conjuration for her turtle to work, without heals she is not going to make it.

suppression orb- every non mage costs 1 mana for every zone they move.  slows swarms down.  

personal enchantments:

mongoose agility (you need to be able to evade guards and not be hindered)
falcon precision (ignore defense rolls)

don't take all my advice as an indict of your deck, these are just tips for what you might want to add to control different strategies.  i love the warlock and thing his moveset matches his theme so well....

DarthDadaD20

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2013, 03:08:30 AM »
Cheetah speed! I forgot cheetah speed! You have to have one! Also....Nice job alphabetizing the whole list chili!
Within Shad0w.

Chili

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2013, 12:17:20 PM »
Thanks so much for all the suggestions.  I really appreciate it.  Had a great game with my buddy, but unfortunately my Warlock finally succumb to my friends Forcemaster.  I will definitly take the ideas that everyone proposed and see how I can work out the book.  Being able to deal better with the force push and repulse is a must I think.  It really really slowed the momentum down.  My Lof and Goran got pushed around quite a bit by those spells!

One of the best and worst things about building the book is trying to decide what to take out to put in other stuff! :)  

Thanks again and I'm sure I'll get a good working build here after a couple more games.

Chili

DarthDadaD20

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2013, 12:48:05 PM »
Good luck with the Forcemaster...thats about the only mage who can beat a warlock with ease. Trust me....I went from losing to the warlock in every game...every time...with new decks, to wining every game with the force master.
Within Shad0w.

malgor

• Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2013, 08:16:34 PM »
the forcemaster is real tough since you have to go in there and go toe to toe with her big swings.  I always keep at least one skeleton in my warlock deck bc psychic immunity is a big help against the forcemaster.

one strategy I've used against FM is enfeeble curses with force push.  get enfeeble on her, then when you attack you can immediately throw your quickcast down to push her out of the zone so she can't hurt you.  of course this only protects you so much.

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2013, 02:35:28 AM »
The answer to Forcemaster is Agony (at least for a Warlock). There's a lot more going on in the matchup of course, but her damage output plummets if you can keep an Agony on her. Doublestrike stops looking nearly so tempting when the second attack is for 2 dice.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

Chili

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2013, 05:56:30 AM »
Awsome and thanks. I will definitely try these above suggestions out. Have to say I'm glad that the general consensus is that this is a hard match up. I will continue to work on my book/build!
Happy gaming,
Chili