May 02, 2024, 11:48:56 AM

Author Topic: No, really, how DOES Academy compare to Apprentice mode?  (Read 3915 times)

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
No, really, how DOES Academy compare to Apprentice mode?
« on: December 28, 2015, 12:54:27 PM »
I haven't had the chance to play academy yet, and there was a rather disheartening discussion on Facebook today about how Academy is basically like MtG but without the tactics.

So, how tactical is Academy compared to apprentice mode? Is it actually worth playing competitively? Or is it better as just a teaching mode for Arena (which apprentice mode does better)?

One of my worries is that no one will ever want to play apprentice mode anymore now that academy is out, and that if academy ends up not being that good, then I'll pretty much never be able to play a good shorter game of Mage Wars.

And even apprentice mode might have had some serious issues. Even some of the very best MW players think it's unbalanced.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 12:55:59 PM by Sailor Vulcan »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
Re: No, really, how DOES Academy compare to Apprentice mode?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2015, 01:43:14 PM »
I view apprentice mode only for learning/teaching/showing the game. Am I wrong or does it seem like you are the only one to really enjoy it a lot?  ???

Wasn't able to play academy yet, so I can't judge it. My initial thoughts are that it could be used for competitive play but it's a lot more suited for casual, "family time" play. Also, since arena is around, If you really want a tense, tactical, competitive game, why would you pick academy when having the option?
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

Fentum

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2015, 01:55:36 PM »
I played Academy three times now.

Twice vs. my son who has played Mage Wars Apprentice mode. He prefers Academy as it is much shorter.

Once vs. my non gamer mate. She would NEVER have played Apprentice as it was way too complex looking.

Initial thoughts are that Academy will be great for casual games with people who don't want to invest time in the system. It really takes two committed players to properly enjoy proper Mage Wars. Academy is an easier route and may pique the interest of some to get into full on Arena.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 01:57:18 PM by Fentum »

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 02:08:08 PM »
Ok, apprentice mode is pretty good. Easily the best way to get a handle on the full game of arena. Academy is a smaller slice of the experience and its meant to better understand the game from the perspective of the minutia, learning the concepts involved in the full game.
Also academy is what, 60 cards in total? MtG had been printing cards for ever, they have a million pieces and cards, there really is no comparison at the moment. Let academy get some more cards and fill out a bit more.

And come on, how many of us didn't buy academy for the additions to our mage wars arena spell books. I mean that's what I did! Lol
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
I love this game. Its awesome!

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2015, 06:45:11 PM »
Cardpool is not the basis of the MtG comparison, but gameplay is.

Give me a 56 card pool of MtG and a game of Magic any day. I have Academy, and whilst I'm certainly not it's target, I don't think it's target meaningfully exists:

1) For those wanting a quick 30 min game, there isn't enough game there , and so many CCG's do it better, and yes MtG is the most obvious and accessible comparison.
2) For those wanting an introductory step into Arena, this is too small a step IMO for anyone that will actually get there. They will probably still need to move through Apprentice if they need babysteps, and even apprentice only has limited use - after the first time I taught using it, I have taught everyone else with full Arena and preset books, and had no problems whatsoever. The people who have problems are probably not the sort of players that will get big into the game.
3) For those wanting a dose of MW awesomeness, there is no substitute for full arena. It's the right game for some, the wrong for others, but cut-down versions just don't work.

Academy's only reason to exist is as an Arena expansion, and it mostly does that on the back of 3 cards justifying it's existence.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2015, 09:26:39 PM »
Wow that is a bit harsh, I heard the exact opposite at BGGCon, the MtG players that were tired of the massive expense of expansions and chasing rares along with the Spellbook aspect were and I quote "Fricken Amazing" compared to the draw in MtG. I have been helping AW at BGGCon for the last three years, I saw a very receptive crowd there this year.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2015, 12:45:08 AM »
it's sad if academy is only a basic game for light players... as i wrote on another topic, i'll try it and hope to discover strattegic possibilities!

about bringing light players to MW, i think it's a strange purpose.
MW is no light game, if people like to play 1/2 hour on a 15x15 inches table with no brain heat, they should find another game! My son recieved for his 8th anniversary core set + 3 extensions (thanks for the french savage translation!) becose we know he likes heavy games, he played his first games with normal rules and learns from game to game.

Khax

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2015, 01:26:44 AM »
I really hope Academy will be more that an entry point for MW world. I know It won´t be as complex and complete as its Big Brother Arena but I expect a great game whe expansions arrive.

I recently discovered MW Arena some months ago. Love the game, love tactics, debckbuilding, all around it. Problem is time needed and people to play with. To be familiar with all cards is a little challenge as well. When you play with people in OCTGN is difficult to be at same level that rest of more experienced players. Matches for more than 90 minutes doesn´t help to play several matches in a night.

I introduced (very light way and with limitation rules) the game to my 6 years old son. He love it!. Playing Beast master he enjoy a lot summoning creatures and wearing magic clothes and weapons.

Although he has to memorized what is charge, pest, stun and other (not all) trait in the cards (we are from Spain) he is good enough to play the basic mechanics and enjoy the game. I´m preparing him for the future :-).

By the way my copy of Academy is comming today. I will start playing it with my son as it´s a faster game, no so complex and he will  keep the mechanic of Arena for the future.

Summing up, I prefer Arena but I would like to have another option almost so good and complete (strategically talking) with Academy as well for faster games. I want to keep playing Academy in the future for faster games.

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2015, 03:26:50 PM »
I haven't had the chance to play academy yet, and there was a rather disheartening discussion on Facebook today about how Academy is basically like MtG but without the tactics.

So, how tactical is Academy compared to apprentice mode? Is it actually worth playing competitively? Or is it better as just a teaching mode for Arena (which apprentice mode does better)?

One of my worries is that no one will ever want to play apprentice mode anymore now that academy is out, and that if academy ends up not being that good, then I'll pretty much never be able to play a good shorter game of Mage Wars.

And even apprentice mode might have had some serious issues. Even some of the very best MW players think it's unbalanced.

Thoughts?

I am planning to use Apprentice Mode in the 2016 WBC tournament as I believe it is the best entry point for players at that convention. It highlights one of the unique features of Mage Wars Arena which is the movement action and moving creatures around the arena. This makes it stand out from other games that feature cards and for strategy gamers is a big draw.

The WBC format actually uses Apprentice Mode with fixed books to qualify players for advancement into single elimination rounds where the full set of rules and spell book design are added. The new Apprentice Mode has helped streamline this mode of play for new players and provides an easy way for ambassadors to support tournament players who don't yet own a copy of the game.

In future years, if players demand a change, we may need to expand the challenge for the qualifying heats. I have started to consider how Domination: Battlegrounds might be added to the Apprentice Mode to provide players with a whole new set of strategies for competitive play.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin