May 02, 2024, 05:12:09 PM

Author Topic: Tabletopia... do we now have to activate a paid subscription?  (Read 7333 times)

Fentum

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Tabletopia... do we now have to activate a paid subscription?
« on: December 22, 2015, 01:22:49 PM »
Can't get OCTGN to work on my Mac, so I thought I'd try out Academy on Tabletopia, but the link from the AW site takes me to a login page. Is it now necessary to take a out a paid subscription to try out Academy on Tabletopia?

The Academy description makes me think it is an unfinished version (e.g. no spell books, etc) so I don't want to part with cold hard cash for something that is still a trial.

The Sword & Sorcery KS allowed me to try out the game via Tabletopia without payment. Granted I HAD KS'd that game, but hey, I saw an Academy-shaped box under the Christmas tree...

What do you recommend?

« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 01:26:18 PM by Fentum »

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Re: Tabletopia... do we now have to activate a paid subscription?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 02:00:12 PM »
Tabletopia is currently in closed beta. The official release won't be until sometime in the first quarter of the year, and when that happens it will be available for free at the bronze level. You can pay for a month early access for $10 and it costs more if you also want a subscription or if you want earlier access. I would advise against paying for early access if you're not planning to get a paid subscription in the long run, since it's not going to be too long before it's free at the bronze level.

This question has been asked countless times and there's a lot of people who aren't properly informed about it. Even Arcane Wonders was misinformed when I asked them about it. They said that tabletopia wasn't going to be free, but they're wrong. It will be free at the bronze level once it is officially released. In the article on the AW website, Arcane Wonders made it sound like they thought that tabletopia was already officially released.

While a lot of information about tabletopia is spread out all over the place, once you know where to look it's very easy to find out the answer to this question.

Go to: https://tabletopia.com/
Click "Join Now" and then Click "Read More" and scroll down a bit. That should answer your question. There's also a timeline for tabletopia development near the bottom of the page. The information is all right there on the website.

When I first found out about tabletopia it was a wild goose chase to find this out. First I saw the article on arcane wonders about it, where it did not say how much it would cost or if it would cost anything, only said to "click here to  start your first game of mage wars academy on tabletopia!" and i clicked the link and it turned out i needed an account, and that in order to create an account I needed an invite code. Then I googled it and found a tabletopia blog which didn't answer the question at all but was interesting to look at. Then finally I found the tabletopia website and went to the join now section, clicked "read more" and found out that it would be free at the bronze version once the app is officially released. I googled the release date, and according to steam it was Q4 2015, or in other words, the fourth quarter of the year. But it was already nearly the end of the fourth quarter of the year. Finally I asked on tabletopia's facebook page, and found out that it wouldn't be released until the first quarter of next year. Then later it turned out there is a timeline on tabletopia's main website, and it says there flat out that the official release won't be until 2016 so I shouldn't have even needed to ask, I could have just clicked "join now" and then clicked "read more". Unfortunately, that wasn't completely obvious at the time. If you didn't click "read more" you would never find out that there was a free level, since absolutely NO ONE is talking about the fact that it will be available for free (although if you want some extra cool features, you might want to consider getting a subscription. I think I'm going to wait until I've tried a free account first though before I decide whether to upgrade or not).

Hope that helps!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 02:01:47 PM by Sailor Vulcan »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Fentum

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 02:07:04 PM »
Tabletopia is currently in closed beta. The official release won't be until sometime in the first quarter of the year, and when that happens it will be available for free at the bronze level. You can pay for a month early access for $10 and it costs more if you also want a subscription or if you want earlier access. I would advise against paying for early access if you're not planning to get a paid subscription in the long run, since it's not going to be too long before it's free at the bronze level.

This question has been asked countless times and there's a lot of people who aren't properly informed about it. Even Arcane Wonders was misinformed when I asked them about it. They said that tabletopia wasn't going to be free, but they're wrong. It will be free at the bronze level once it is officially released. In the article on the AW website, Arcane Wonders made it sound like they thought that tabletopia was already officially released.

While a lot of information about tabletopia is spread out all over the place, once you know where to look it's very easy to find out the answer to this question.

Go to: https://tabletopia.com/
Click "Join Now" and then Click "Read More" and scroll down a bit. That should answer your question. There's also a timeline for tabletopia development near the bottom of the page. The information is all right there on the website.

When I first found out about tabletopia it was a wild goose chase to find this out. First I saw the article on arcane wonders about it, where it did not say how much it would cost or if it would cost anything, only said to "click here to  start your first game of mage wars academy on tabletopia!" and i clicked the link and it turned out i needed an account, and that in order to create an account I needed an invite code. Then I googled it and found a tabletopia blog which didn't answer the question at all but was interesting to look at. Then finally I found the tabletopia website and went to the join now section, clicked "read more" and found out that it would be free at the bronze version once the app is officially released. I googled the release date, and according to steam it was Q4 2015, or in other words, the fourth quarter of the year. But it was already nearly the end of the fourth quarter of the year. Finally I asked on tabletopia's facebook page, and found out that it wouldn't be released until the first quarter of next year. Then later it turned out there is a timeline on tabletopia's main website, and it says there flat out that the official release won't be until 2016 so I shouldn't have even needed to ask, I could have just clicked "join now" and then clicked "read more". Unfortunately, that wasn't completely obvious at the time. If you didn't click "read more" you would never find out that there was a free level, since absolutely NO ONE is talking about the fact that it will be available for free (although if you want some extra cool features, you might want to consider getting a subscription. I think I'm going to wait until I've tried a free account first though before I decide whether to upgrade or not).

Hope that helps!

Thanks Sailor Vulcan, that is particularly helpful. I actually went through every step that you did, so we are are either great minds or fools.

What confused me even more is that there was a Tabletopia link from the S&S KS that looked similar to the link from the AW page, promising to 'play now on Tabletopia'. The S&S link took me directly to a fully set up game board etc so that I could play the first scenario. No subscription or any of that malarkey. I was hoping for the same here, but encountered the same issues that you did.

I guess I'll wait for the full release, but the AW page should be updated so it's clear that it doesn't work.

Or even better, sorted out such that we can play a demo with starter spell books...     ::)

I'd be happy to take a good beating from you anytime...

Tyrnan

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2015, 11:11:32 AM »
Hi Fentum and Sailor Vulcan,
just go to http://blog.tabletopia.com/ and find the entry from november the 20th (Games for this weekend) . There is a link that will take you to a game room with mw academy. It does not make sense to post that link here, because it will become stale after a while which i guess is what happened to the link in the other thread.
Both starter spellbooks are there. Each player can just pickup one and you can start playing. It does not support any automation or does enforce any rules whatsoever, so it should be exactly after your taste, Sailor. Hope that helps ...
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 12:54:14 PM by Tyrnan »
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
OCTGN: Tyrnan (GMT +1)

Fentum

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2015, 03:40:49 AM »
Hi Fentum and Sailor Vulcan,
just go to http://blog.tabletopia.com/ and find the entry from november the 20th (Games for this weekend) . There is a link that will take you to a game room with mw academy. It does not make sense to post that link here, because it will become stale after a while which i guess is what happened to the link in the other thread.
Both starter spellbooks are there. Each player can just pickup one and you can start playing. It does not support any automation or does enforce any rules whatsoever, so it should be exactly after your taste, Sailor. Hope that helps ...

Thanks Tyrnan. The real thing arrived on Christmas morning, but I will check out a tabletopia as you suggest.

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2015, 06:50:10 AM »
I had a very short game with Sailor Vulcan. Short because i had to end our game and go to theatre with my wife (curse you cultural education! :) )

Right now, it doesnt run in Chrome and one need to have Unity Player installed. I used Opera. Whole game and everything around can be handled with Mouse. Left button for dragging and right button for bringing up dial menu. Everything was pretty easy to comprehend. I cant wait for full version and those intense battles. I am also pretty curious how they will handle book building :)
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2015, 11:50:23 AM »
I had a very short game with Sailor Vulcan. Short because i had to end our game and go to theatre with my wife (curse you cultural education! :) )

Right now, it doesnt run in Chrome and one need to have Unity Player installed. I used Opera. Whole game and everything around can be handled with Mouse. Left button for dragging and right button for bringing up dial menu. Everything was pretty easy to comprehend. I cant wait for full version and those intense battles. I am also pretty curious how they will handle book building :)

We didn't even get to start playing, lol.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2015, 12:00:34 PM »
Well, i casted Satyr and enchant him ;) for me, it was nearly end game move :D
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

Fentum

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2015, 12:07:01 PM »
Lots of family staying over for holidays but will get onto Tabletopia soon!

Tyrnan

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2015, 04:17:27 PM »

Glad to hear that you liked it :)
I'm hoping for lots of players that join tabletopia when it is finished since then we would have a real cross platform online version for mage wars. About the deck building: Laddinface stated in another thread that they are working on it. I'm also curious how it will be handled ...
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
OCTGN: Tyrnan (GMT +1)

V10lentray

• Member of Arcane Duels
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2015, 12:17:50 AM »
I have a subscription for tabletopia already. I checked out Academy, but no one else was around to play. Maybe someday I'll get to play on there.

And the deck building is what is really going to make or break this thing.  if you can't build a custom book, it's useless.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid