May 17, 2024, 05:55:07 AM

Author Topic: OCTGN for shiny Mac  (Read 3837 times)

Fentum

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
OCTGN for shiny Mac
« on: December 20, 2015, 07:38:51 AM »
Played quite a bit on my old PC a few years back, and the chaps at Arcane Duels have inspired me to get back into Mage Wars. Academy coming for Christmas, but I fancy removing the rustiness in the arena on OCTGN.

My old PC is now dead. Can I run OCTGN on a nice new Mac? I am completely non technical so don't fancy setting up emulators and so on.

All help appreciated.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
Re: OCTGN for shiny Mac
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2015, 09:48:56 AM »
While possible, you would have to be very technical on the Unix side, and even then success is not guaranteed as people report disconnection/connection issue all of the time.

Your best bet is to use Parallels and run Windows in a VM. It is a pricey solution though just for OCTGN.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Fentum

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2015, 12:08:07 PM »

Your best bet is to use Parallels and run Windows in a VM. It is a pricey solution though just for OCTGN.

Thanks, sIKE. I have absolutely no idea what this means, but right now, I am thinking of buying a wee laptop just for Mage Wars.

What will I need?

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2015, 12:47:12 PM »
Dude! Hope to see you on! I tried googling the system requirements for OCTGN but couldnt find it. I imagine you don't need a great computer, but maybe somebody else will tell you exactly what you need (I'm kinda curious if it'll run on old XP machines :D).
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2015, 02:32:21 PM »
You're getting a whole computer just for Mage Wars? Seriously why not just wait for tabletopia? It will be much cheaper and will be compatible with Mac.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Fentum

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2015, 03:19:25 PM »
You're getting a whole computer just for Mage Wars? Seriously why not just wait for tabletopia? It will be much cheaper and will be compatible with Mac.

Eh?

WHAT?

Eeeeehhhh???

Magic. When is that out? I already use Tabletopia...

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
OCTGN for shiny Mac
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2015, 04:42:30 PM »

Eh?

WHAT?

Eeeeehhhh???

Magic. When is that out? I already use Tabletopia...

Tabletopia is in its beta stages. You paid for early access and maybe some extra features. It's going to be free at the bronze level once it's officially released. It will be available on steam as well btw.

Personally I think that if enough players use Tabletopia I will prefer it over OCTGN, but I'll probably end up using both.

As for OCTGN do you have a flash drive and a local library? If yes, then you can just play at the library computers. It's very quick and easy:

1. Download and install OCTGN on the library computer
2. Install the Mage Wars game database from the OCTGN game directory
3. Download and install the Mage Wars image packs
4. Install the spellbook builder plugin
5. When you are done with your first session, move the entire OCTGN folder to your flash drive.
6. When you want to start another session at the library, plug in your flash drive, open OCTGN, and replace the automatically created OCTGN folder with a copy of the one on your flash drive. In order to do this you'll have to open and close OCTGN first.
7. When you're done with your session, if you have any new custom maps or spellbooks, merge the decks folder in the automatically generated OCTGN folder with the one on your flash drive, and the custom maps folder in the automatically generated OCTGN folder with the one on your flash drive. Or if you only have one or two new spellbooks or maps, you can just save them to their appropriate locations on your flash drive. Then trash the copy of the OCTGN folder on the library computer.

It doesn't need to be a flash drive of course. You could always zip up the folder and email it to yourself.

To turn a folder into a zip file, right click the folder and the option will be there, then you can just upload the zip file as an email attachment to yourself.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 05:03:40 PM by Sailor Vulcan »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2015, 06:57:58 PM »
Any newly bought PC laptop should run OCTGN. If you're unafraid to re-partition your mac's hard drive, you can install Windows on its own partition as a dual boot system and then use Parallels to access your own Windows system from within OS X.

If all of this sounds complicated, it is kinda, but it's well documented so it's mostly just following directions for an hour or two.
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.