May 17, 2024, 02:43:46 AM

Author Topic: Serious Kudos to Arcane Duels  (Read 6329 times)

Fentum

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Serious Kudos to Arcane Duels
« on: December 11, 2015, 04:40:26 PM »
Terribly sorry if this is all a bit old hat,  but I want to thank Arcane Duels.

I played a fair bit of Mage Wars a few years ago. Mostly on OCTGN, and mainly losing badly to a certain Mr Charmyna. My favourite moment being when we played our first match post the Forcemaster/Warlord set and had created almost mirror books with mirror openings.

Found it very difficult to get real life games as no one wanted to dig deep into the game. It only really shines when you play a like minded soul.

With Academy coming out, my interest has been massively rekindled as I reckon I can get my friends to play it. So I started checking out BGG again. Found out about Arcane Duels.

I just wanted to note that these chaps are fabulous.

Something about the exact style of preamble, play, and review just 'clicks' with everything I want to see. It is spot on.

Coshade, Intangible, et al, thank you very much indeed for the truly excellent job you do.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 08:05:18 AM by Fentum »

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Re: Serious Kudos to Arcane Duels
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 05:15:49 PM »
Seconded! Seriously, you guys are awesome!
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 05:30:47 PM »
Thirded with gusto! For real, I've learned so many things watching these guys and they always leave me thinking about something new. Great job guys keep it up! And thank you!
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
I love this game. Its awesome!

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 08:22:40 PM »
I am also very glad of your (the Duels dudes) generosity in letting me crash the party on a number of occasions.  It really is fun to shoot the breeze about Mage Wars and I am also a big fan of the work you all put in (especially "secret" editor) to making each video an enjoyable experience.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2015, 11:50:39 PM »
Yeah I'll throw in my agreement here. I consider all these chaps to be aces in our community.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2015, 10:22:37 AM »
Yeah I'll throw in my agreement here. I consider all these chaps to be aces in our community.

+1 here too.

Thanks so much for your contribution to the Mage Wars community.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

Intangible0

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2015, 05:40:28 AM »
Well thanks guys! We really appreciate it.

The community has really boomed in the past year or so, but we're not the only ones that contributed.
  • LordOfWinter - Was keeping a constant blog post along with keeping people informed about developments in the company.
  • SiKe - Working relentlessly to keep the game updated on OCTGN so we can all play remotely.
  • ACG - The other face of OCTGN, along with throwing out Card ideas.
  • Sailor Vulcan - Constantly posting in the forums to keep it alive and bringing up interesting ideas to spark conversation, in addition to working on builds that don't need expansions.
  • Schwenkgott - Doing all of the things, but also giving us the quarterly Thunderdome tournaments.
  • TheDude - Being awesome and starting the Mage Roars League.
  • Sharkbait - Starting the MageCast podcasts on strategy and contributing heavily to the AD stream.
  • Puddnhead - Cohosting the MageCasts and also being on the stream frequently.
And these are just the immediately apparent ones coming to mind (Sorry if I forgot to mention you). There are so many playtesters and great players improving the game every day.

AWESOME!
  • Favourite Mage: Johktari Beastmaster

Fentum

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2015, 08:08:36 AM »

The community has really boomed in the past year or so, but we're not the only ones that contributed.
  • LordOfWinter - Was keeping a constant blog post along with keeping people informed about developments in the company.
  • SiKe - Working relentlessly to keep the game updated on OCTGN so we can all play remotely.
  • Sailor Vulcan - Constantly posting in the forums to keep it alive and bringing up interesting ideas to spark conversation, in addition to working on builds that don't need expansions.
  • Schwenkgott - Doing all of the things, but also giving us the quarterly Thunderdome tournaments.
  • Sharkbait - Starting the MageCast podcasts on strategy and contributing heavily to the AD stream.
And these are just the immediately apparent ones coming to mind (Sorry if I forgot to mention you). There are so many playtesters and great players improving the game every day.

AWESOME!

Looks like a great team effort.

I am an old boy coming back into the game. My old laptop is knackered and I run Apple now, so tragically, no OCTGN for me. Probably just as well as I just lost a match against my son. He's fourteen now. I could beat him when he was ten!

Academy is on the way for Christmas, and I'm hoping to get more people into it.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2015, 10:11:04 AM »

AWESOME!

Looks like a great team effort.

I am an old boy coming back into the game. My old laptop is knackered and I run Apple now, so tragically, no OCTGN for me. Probably just as well as I just lost a match against my son. He's fourteen now. I could beat him when he was ten!

Academy is on the way for Christmas, and I'm hoping to get more people into it.

Tabletopia is coming out sometime early next year I think, and it will be available for Mac. Mage Wars will be playable on it. And as far as I know Tabletopia will be free to play unless you pay for a subscription in which case you get more features.

If you lost against your son, it doesn't mean you're getting too old, it means you need to get better and win next time! It's not like Mage Wars skill has to deteriorate as you get older. As you get older your fluid intelligence decreases but your crystallized intelligence increases. So maybe your ability to make creative new spellbooks will get slightly worse as you age, but if it really deteriorates significantly enough to actually affect your play, then you can always just netdeck.
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Fentum

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2015, 12:49:00 PM »
Lol. Kind words to an old fart! Thanks.

Tabletopia is out now as far as I know. I have been using it a little to play test Swords & Sorcery on Kickstarter.  On my shiny Mac.

It LOOKS great but I prefer the functionality of OCTGN, when it's working right     ::)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 12:50:38 PM by Fentum »

Tyrnan

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2015, 09:15:19 AM »

AWESOME!

I'm a bit late here but I also want to add a big thank you to Coshade and Intangible and all of the above. You guys helped me to stay connected to mage wars, to learn much and more about playing Mage Wars and to keep my faith that I will eventually find a local group for regular playing, which I finally did.
I also want to point out that Schwenkgott also does a great job for the german community by posting in the german forums at pegasus on a regular basis, my special thanks for that, Schwenkgott.
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
OCTGN: Tyrnan (GMT +1)