May 16, 2024, 04:38:18 PM

Author Topic: Long Turns and Game Length Limitations  (Read 8324 times)

Locusshifter

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Long Turns and Game Length Limitations
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2013, 04:18:45 PM »
Quote from: "Thessial" post=7114
The tie breaker (in current format) goes to the mage who has been dealt the least amount of damage. This means that if I do 20 points of damage to the priestess over the course of a game and she heals 11 of it and in turn does 18 damage to me, I win the tie having done more damage to her during the game than she did to me.

Healing is not a factor in tie-breakers.

I love that. I would think that elminates turtling for a time-based win via healing.

paradox22

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • MOKAN Mage Wars
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2013, 01:41:36 AM »
Glad AW came up with a solution to the "Turtle then heal up at the end of the game Problem".
...Not sure how I feel about it though.  It certainly encourages an aggressive playstyle geared towards dealing damage in the fastest most efficient way possible (a playstyle I do enjoy!); however, this format excludes other strategies such as the wizards mana denial or any strategy that plays out over the "long game".  IMO It really changes the game.  I think this format will will create a meta-game that revolves around a few obvious strategies: Early "big" expensive creature rush, melee equip builds, and blasters....I guess I'm okay with that.  

After they nail down exactly how the tourney scene is going to function, I hope they come out with different play formats that encourage other more diverse strategies.
Si vis pacem para bellum

Tacullu64

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2013, 12:03:51 PM »
Quote from: "paradox22" post=7167
Glad AW came up with a solution to the "Turtle then heal up at the end of the game Problem".
...Not sure how I feel about it though.  It certainly encourages an aggressive playstyle geared towards dealing damage in the fastest most efficient way possible (a playstyle I do enjoy!); however, this format excludes other strategies such as the wizards mana denial or any strategy that plays out over the "long game".  IMO It really changes the game.  I think this format will will create a meta-game that revolves around a few obvious strategies: Early "big" expensive creature rush, melee equip builds, and blasters....I guess I'm okay with that.  

After they nail down exactly how the tourney scene is going to function, I hope they come out with different play formats that encourage other more diverse strategies.

I share your concerns. It seems like the wizard and to a lesser extent the priestess will have to win their games in less than 90 minutes. I don't think either would win very many tiebreakers vs the warlock or beastmaster because they just can't put damage on the opposing mage at the same rate or as efficiently.

paradox22

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • MOKAN Mage Wars
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2013, 01:10:00 PM »

I share your concerns. It seems like the wizard and to a lesser extent the priestess will have to win their games in less than 90 minutes. I don't think either would win very many tiebreakers vs the warlock or beastmaster because they just can't put damage on the opposing mage at the same rate or as efficiently.

I think both the wizard and priestess could compete and win via the "tiebreaker"...  But in order to do so they will be forced to play a certain build (blaster wizard or equip build priestess w/ hand of Bimshalla spam).  I wish there was a way to minimize the need for a specific build to compete in the meta.
Si vis pacem para bellum

Tacullu64

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2013, 02:57:08 PM »
Quote from: "paradox22" post=7193

I think both the wizard and priestess could compete and win via the "tiebreaker"...  But in order to do so they will be forced to play a certain build (blaster wizard or equip build priestess w/ hand of Bimshalla spam).  I wish there was a way to minimize the need for a specific build to compete in the meta.

I think the priestess will cope better for the reasons you listed. I don't see how a blaster wizard can keep up with a fully equipped warlock dishing 8-14 by himself, not including his creatures.

I would have to rethink my wizard builds if I was taking him to a tourny. Of course that would just make winning with a wizard that much more satisfying.

This tie breaker wouldn't stop me from taking a wizard to a tourny but I would have to seriously rethink my spellbook.

HeatStryke

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2013, 03:05:43 PM »
Keep in mind that while this is what is being used at Bashcon it isn't necessarily the absolute final version.

Also the tiebreaker should only come into play occasionally, if it happens too often the round time limit may need to be rethinked. Buliding to win via tiebreaker should not be the goal.

Tacullu64

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2013, 03:29:53 PM »
Quote from: "HeatStryke" post=7201
Keep in mind that while this is what is being used at Bashcon it isn't necessarily the absolute final version.

Also the tiebreakerbahould only come int play occasionally, if it happens too often the round time limit may need to be rethinked. Buliding to win via tiebreaker should not be the goal.

I personally would not play for a tie but considering how often they might occur I would factor them into my preparation.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2013, 06:56:50 PM »
Hello all we have been kinda of wondering off topic. I have been so busy with work that I did not notice.

It is not a bad thing per say could we try to get back on topic or just start another thread to talk about tiebreaker rules and such.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

piousflea

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2013, 10:42:22 PM »
Quote from: "Thessial" post=7023
Anyhow, this has been our local experience. Timed turns also help quite a bit.

Does anyone know if there is a turn time limit for BashCon? I mean, otherwise if someone is ahead by a few points of damage taken, they have every incentive to take as long as possible on every action.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2013, 08:52:38 AM »
Pious I have been ask by several people to separate this from the BashCon event info, so if you have a question about Bash please ask in the BashCon 2013 Event Discussion Thread.

I hate to be like that but they are correct we are way off topic.  Sorry  :unsure:
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage