May 19, 2024, 09:12:25 PM

Author Topic: Quickaction&Quickcast  (Read 5085 times)

Ronen

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Quickaction&Quickcast
« on: December 27, 2012, 01:27:06 PM »
Hi all,
i just got my mage wars box a few days ago and tommorow is the first game with my friend.
there is something i didn't understand yet,
my mage can move one and then use the quick action to move another one and then use the quick cast to cast a spell?
or the quick cast is only another option for the mage quick action and he can move one and then decide if he want to use quickaction for another move or quickcast?
please advice.
thank you

Arcanus

• Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Re: Quickaction&Quickcast
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 01:57:31 PM »
Congratulations on getting Mage Wars! You will have a blast!

The quickcast action is completely independent of the Mages's normal actions.

The Mage, or any creature for that matter, can use their normal action marker to MOVE + take a quick action (the quick action can be to move another zone), or they can choose to take a FULL action (you can't move when you take a FULL action).

The quickcast allows you to cast one quick spell in addition to, and regardless of, the above choices.  The quickcast action can be done outside of your normal Action Phase (for example, you can use it just before or after any friendly creature Action Phase).

So, with the above understanding, here are some things your Mage could do:
[ul]
  [li]Move 2 zones, then use the quickcast to cast one quick spell.[/li]
  [li]Use the quickcast to cast a quick spell, then move and cast another quick spell.[/li]
  [li]Cast a full spell, then cast a quick spell.[/li]
  [li]Attack, and then cast a quick spell.[/li]
[/ul]

There are lots of possibilities!

If you need more information please just ask.  We also have great online tutorials!

Ronen

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 04:06:54 PM »
Thank you for your replay :)
just to make it clear, at the back side of the rulebook its written under actions:
make a quick attack
cast a quick spell
guard
take another move action
it looks like i can do one of those, not two or more..

Arcanus

• Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 04:15:12 PM »
Yes, that's right.  You can Move, then take one quick action. That quick action can be to move again.

In addition to that you can cast one quick spell with your quickcast action.  

In this manner you get to do up to 3 things in one round. Such as move first, then cast 2 quick spells (the second quick spell requires your quickcast marker).

Gardine

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 01:45:07 PM »
Hi from germany  :)

Unwrapped my copy of the game today and had 2 games with friends. I have to say: This looks fantastic!

Nevertheless one question came up today: For the quick cast marker I can play an attack quickspell I guess? Can this spell be bound to a wand (I guess yes)?

Is the ability on the wizzard-mage (the range attack) a spell, too? Since it costs mana we weren't sure how to handle that. I guess the manacost is just an additional cost for a regular rangeattack?

Gardine

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 03:46:22 PM »
Well I guess I got something wrong and this attack from the wizzard is just an attack and has nothing to do with a spell.

I found this in another thread:
An attack action is a creature action (quick or full) used to make an attack.

Arcanus

• Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 03:55:15 PM »
Hello Gardine!  Germany is really supporting Mage Wars - the recent support and enthusiasm has been wonderful!  :-)

The quickcast marker lets you cast one quick spell.  SO, yes, you could cast a quick attack spell with it, including one bound to a wand.

The Wizard's built-in Zap attack counts as a quick attack spell, so you absolutely can cast it with the quickcast marker.

Here is an excerpt from our online explanation of the Mage's abilities (see "All about Mage Wars - Mages"):

The Wizard is the only Mage with his own built-in magical attack spell, Arcane Zap. This is a very simple and useful attack spell, producing a small bolt of eldritch power. The Wizard uses it just as if he had chosen an attack spell card for his hand during the planning phase called “Arcane Zap.”

Arcane Zap can be cast just once each game round. Unlike a card spell, it is not discarded after it is cast. He can use it again every round! Arcane Zap costs 1 mana each time it is cast. The Wizard subtracts this from his mana supply just like casting any spell.

It is a ranged attack, with a range of 0-1 zones. So, the Wizard can target any creature or
conjuration in his zone, or one zone away.

The attack deals 3 dice of damage. It also has the Ethereal trait, which makes it effective against
Incorporeal objects like the Whirling Spirit or a Fog Bank.

Because it is a quick spell, the Wizard uses a quick action to cast it, which means it can be used
with his normal action or with his Quickcast action. Of course, the fact that Arcane Zap is a spell
also means that it can be countered or affected by spells like Jinx.

Gardine

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 05:08:05 PM »
Thank you very much and now I know where I had to look up for that question  :oops:

It's a "little bit" off topic here, but can you tell me: will we have the chance to get the current OP kit in germany, too?  :)

Arcanus

• Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2012, 05:21:29 PM »
Absolutely!  

We printed twice what we thought we could possibly sell, and sold all of them immediately!  SO, recently we had to print up more OP kits.  Pegasus (very large German distributor) is placing their order Monday and we'll be rushing shipping several kits!

Gardine

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2012, 07:08:07 PM »
NICE  B)
I visit my local shop on monday anyway. They will have to order from pegasus  :)  Thank you very much.