May 04, 2024, 02:05:03 AM

Author Topic: Hopes for future expansions  (Read 3874 times)

fing80

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Hopes for future expansions
« on: October 27, 2014, 10:11:27 AM »
Hello everyone!
I' new to the forum, but I've played the game quite a lot in the last months and I'd like to share some feedback and suggestions based on my experiece so far.
First of all I have to specify that I have all expansions except for Conquest of Kumanjaro (which I've ordered, but it's not yet in my hands), but Iv'e seen the list of cards of CoK and I think my considerations are still valid. That said, here's my two cents:

1 - I'd really like to see some cheap dwarvish-taste soldier units. I tend to build (and keep built) all the mages I've got. I know, that's not the way most people play this game, but for me is a plus having all the mages ready to play, 'cause I think playing is much more fun than deckbuilding. That means I try to build the basic orc Warlord and the Anvil Throne Warlock in a different way, as much as possible, and I do the same for the two warlocks. I gave the orc Warlord all the goblin and orc soldier units, and saved for the Anvil Throne Warlord the dwarves. The problem is that the poor Anvil Thorne guy is left without cheap cannon fodder.

2 - The last expansions came with the problem that the base spell lists for the new mages were imposible to build without unmade other decks, and I have to admit that I found this a bit annoying. Don't get me wrong, I really appreciate Arcane Wonder policy of giving only new cards in these expasions, but my question is: are these things truly in contrast? I know, spells like "heal" are very useful, but can't we imagine some thematically suitable replacement? I. e. a pool of regenerating waters as a nature mage conjuration,  or some unholy ritual for a dark mage.

3 - In general, anything that goes in a direction of a more deep differentiation of the mages, expecially the "variant" ones, and their spell tomes would be very welcome.  I mean, using the Druid or the Forcemaster you have a clear senstation of a different style of play, that you don't have with other mages. I have great expectations on the Siren in this regard.

This is a great game, but I feel that there's much potential that could be released with few adjustments, givin' new life even to the oldest material.
Hope this will be useful!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 10:19:37 AM by fing80 »

V10lentray

• Member of Arcane Duels
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Re: Hopes for future expansions
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 12:53:06 PM »
Buy a second core set. That will solve the problem of not enough cards.

The value of the core set versus a spell tome, is so different, that you get far more for your dollar buying a second core set.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

BoomFrog

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 08:30:01 PM »
I know, spells like "heal" are very useful, but can't we imagine some thematically suitable replacement? I. e. a pool of regenerating waters as a nature mage conjuration,  or some unholy ritual for a dark mage.
I think you picked bad examples... The cards you imagined already exist. Spring of renewal is a nature pool of healing. Vampiric Strike is a dark method of healing (or drain life).

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 09:49:05 PM »

I know, spells like "heal" are very useful, but can't we imagine some thematically suitable replacement? I. e. a pool of regenerating waters as a nature mage conjuration,  or some unholy ritual for a dark mage.
I think you picked bad examples... The cards you imagined already exist. Spring of renewal is a nature pool of healing. Vampiric Strike is a dark method of healing (or drain life).

And drain soul too! And vampirism already is in the core set.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

fing80

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 03:58:30 AM »

You're right, the example was bad indeed, but I think the point remains: there are ways to implement decks without using the very same cards in everyone, for some cards alternatives already exists, some others have yet to be implemented.
For the "second core" option, it fixes only part of the problem and only temporary because if new expansions keep on using the same base cards even a second core will eventually become unsufficient.

However, point one and three are the most interesting to me right now, my impression is that more heavily thematized mages are more fun to play (Druid and Forcemaster are good examples of that), and some new card that pushes in this direction would be very appreciated. As I said, a pure dwarf-theme deck is impossible, at the moment. Actually it is possible, but without a low-cost unit it's very difficult to manage.