May 04, 2024, 04:56:44 PM

Author Topic: How long do demos take?  (Read 3632 times)

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
How long do demos take?
« on: July 11, 2013, 08:25:41 AM »
How long do mage wars demos in apprentice mode normally take? I'm considering teaching some people how to play at the college I'm currently attending for a possible game day event.

I would like to know sometime today, since someone from student engagement is awaiting my response.

Thanks!
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: How long do demos take?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 08:29:27 AM »
20 minutes to explain the game 20-30 minutes of free play. so about 40-50 minutes each.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 09:46:10 AM »
Would it be advisable to limit total time to 30 min? Even if not everyone gets to finish their games, that should be enough time for them to get a feel for the game and see if they enjoy it, right?

I don't know if I'll have anyone to help me demo or not. There is a chance I'll be demoing by myself, in which case there will only be two people learning the game at a time.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 01:47:46 PM »
Would it be advisable to limit total time to 30 min? Even if not everyone gets to finish their games, that should be enough time for them to get a feel for the game and see if they enjoy it, right?

I don't know if I'll have anyone to help me demo or not. There is a chance I'll be demoing by myself, in which case there will only be two people learning the game at a time.

Depends on how fast player catch on. If they get the basics down quickly 25 minutes of play is fine.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 05:39:59 AM »
If I understand correct the tutorial version is pared down a bit too, so the new players dont have ALL the options of a normal game to work with, and only half the board which keeps the overall gametime down.

The Dude

• Hitchhiker of sorts
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
  • It's like... good gracious...bodacious.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2013, 12:09:38 AM »
That is correct. The apprentice mode has a special set of smaller spell books that give players simple yet interesting decisions they can make. The rules are not altered at all, it is just a shorter game with a half sized board.
  • Favourite Mage: Johktari Beastmaster
Always carry a towel...