May 03, 2024, 02:21:35 PM

Author Topic: Domination  (Read 8125 times)

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Re: Domination
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2016, 06:00:35 AM »
For those who don't like the timer element of domination, why not play with the sole objective of killing the other mage?

You can still use the orbs as small mana/healing generators and use the V'tar to power some spells. Maybe you should remove the Sslaks/Usslaks, to get an even advantage between players who want to ignore the orbs and players who want to use them...

In which case the time taking orbs is inefficient, and you are better just ignoring them. You are now just playing Arena on a slightly different board.

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2016, 11:58:05 AM »
For those who don't like the timer element of domination, why not play with the sole objective of killing the other mage?

You can still use the orbs as small mana/healing generators and use the V'tar to power some spells. Maybe you should remove the Sslaks/Usslaks, to get an even advantage between players who want to ignore the orbs and players who want to use them...

In which case the time taking orbs is inefficient, and you are better just ignoring them. You are now just playing Arena on a slightly different board.
without sslak, the orb is 1 chanel, and you gain 2 mana, and you use 0 book points... better than a mana flower!

Gogolski

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2016, 06:34:37 PM »

without sslak, the orb is 1 chanel, and you gain 2 mana, and you use 0 book points... better than a mana flower!
That's exactly why I posted to leave the Sslaks out. If you don't have to commit to slaying the guardians, the orbs provide a multitude of bonuses and if you control some of them, your oponent will be forced to take some away from you. That will provide players with the flavour domination brings without the timer of playing for V'tar points. If you gather them, you can use them for the spels that require you to sacrifice V'tar points for an effect, or to use the V'torrak-zone-artifact-thing.

The benefits the orbs can give are quite big if you simply have to tag them. You could also have some orbs guarded and some orbs unguarded. (Or songle orbs in a zone without a guard and dual obs guarded by a Sslak/Usslak.) Healin/mana and spell/effect-empowerment might make a serious difference...

jhaelen

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2016, 03:25:56 AM »
I don't like domination.
It seems to me it forces fast play
I like Domination precisely _because_ it encourages fast play.
It makes shorter games, but time is no criterium for me.
I was actually _done_ with Mage Wars until I finally got my Domination set. It's the only game mode I'll ever consider playing. That it also works quite well regardless of the number of players is just a bonus.

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2016, 07:54:42 AM »
I don't like domination.
It seems to me it forces fast play
I like Domination precisely _because_ it encourages fast play.
It makes shorter games, but time is no criterium for me.
I was actually _done_ with Mage Wars until I finally got my Domination set. It's the only game mode I'll ever consider playing. That it also works quite well regardless of the number of players is just a bonus.
it's cool that MW offers different games for different tastes!
i think i won't find good reason to leave the arena for now.

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2016, 12:15:25 PM »
I agree that removing guardians soives the inefficiency issue, but to me empty V'tar orbs wouldn't be getting the flavour of Domination. To me you are getting the worst of all worlds.

If you want to play Domination. then play Domination. If you want to play Arena., then play that. Personally, I hugely prefer Arena, but I'd rather play proper Domination than what you are suggesting.

Beldin

• The Craziest
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2016, 05:46:47 PM »
I have played Dominion and personally I am on the fence over the experience. Card mistakes (mainly Galaxxus) aside it is a quicker game that favours creatures more. It does change the game to favour swarms and spawn points. I would say that, if efficiently going for the win, is it too short of a game.  Where as in Arena you can easily drag out the long win and play to an out that gives you extra turns, it is a lot more difficult here. This is especially true when it is easy to generate 10 V'tar in 6 turns (btw guys thanks this post has given me ideas for an AT warlord for this format).

I will build a book or two for this and keep that number assembled, however I will keep more books for Arena built as this is the format I prefer.

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2016, 01:15:15 AM »
Rumour has it there will be a dungeon crawl style play mode .

A half-cooperative mages team trying to go accross a dungeon full of neutral creatures... that would be fun!!!

steack

• Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
    • http://magewarsfr.forumactif.org/
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2016, 02:17:28 AM »

With the solo rules , it s already easy to  create this extention .

We have wall  , the batteground terrain for modular the arene

some trap spell for add fun and all cretures from mage war .

who create a door rules ;)
Player
creation spellbook
no conjuration
only 60 pt
only 3 objects by zone . ...

i  like this option . i will attempt to completed that for test it
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord