May 02, 2024, 06:33:00 PM

Author Topic: NEW Beginners guide to play MW online via Octgn and a List of players  (Read 78856 times)

Alexander West

• Falconer
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Add me to the list please!  (User: oneirophage)

Also:  I don't have time to organize a League, but I would certainly participate in one!
"He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes; he who does not is a fool for a lifetime."

neotoni

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Hello,

I start playing 1 month ago and available to play on OCTGN

nickname : Neotoni from belgium

see you soon

Weltenreiter

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
If you have short to answer questions about OCTGN feel free to ask them here. If youre looking for in-depth discussion about common play conventions maybe the rules subforum is the best place to ask?
Thanks, I'll stay here and try to keep em brief. ^^

Mechanical questions are mostly about handling Enchantments.
- Is there a better/built-in way to cast them other than moving the face down planned ones over and manually subtracting 2 Mana?
- How does one suppress the reflex to double click for casting/processing one gets from casting other cards? That reveal can be awkward. >.<
- Is there a way to actually attach enchantments to their targets? For now, I can only find drawing a box around them to activate them all, then moving that group. Every. Time. I'm pretty sure I saw group movement without the box in some video or other though, so maybe I'm just missing something.

Convention question:
Usually you know/expect full well that you're facing a nullify/block or defense etc and are deliberately trying to draw that out, so will wait for flip/noflip confirm before proceeding in relevant situations. What if you forget? Just roll back to fix it, ignore rolls, and too bad about any inadvertently revealed information?

Semi-mechanical follow-up to that:
Also, any user-friendly way to communicate these things with button press chat outputs (like the "is done" ctrl right) or HUD displays or something? With chatbox being active killing the game interface, the whole affair seems incredibly onerous imo.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
1. At this time no, but I will look in to it, probably will not happen soon.

2. How would folks feel about a modal are you sure window just for Hidden Enchantment? I am thinking out loud here, the dev would be able to answer the feasibility. But would that resolve the problem?

3. The OCTGN environment itself does not provide this capability. It can be scripted, is my understanding but is not currently within any plans.

Typically I will wait after I flip my card and ask Block, etc. and then wait for a response.

Chat / Game are like that on-purpose. A shift+l in the chat window will get you a upper case L, in game it will get you a Slam marker on a card, etc. There are no ways to fire off chat items at the moment. What would they do or say?

the whole affair seems incredibly onerous imo.
Really? Really? Really? It's free, development is done out of joy and love of the game. I would think not having to cleanup my spellbook after the game as a great positive, not having to cleanup the markers after the game as a great positive, keeping track of mana, like, etc. a great positive. Having to click in the chat screen to type something and then click anywhere else on the game screen one time, as at the most slightly annoying.

I don't want to chase anyone off, I am just trying to put in a comparative analysis in and I might be a bit incredulous as being one of the two people currently putting in the hours to make this implementation the best that we can.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

svvcDark

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Greetings!

I myself have just started playing MW but am having trouble finding people to play with so this seems like just the thing I need.

svvcDark

Charmyna

• Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
  • Dark Destroyer
    • View Profile

Really? Really? Really? It's free, development is done out of joy and love of the game. I would think not having to cleanup my spellbook after the game as a great positive, not having to cleanup the markers after the game as a great positive, keeping track of mana, like, etc. a great positive. Having to click in the chat screen to type something and then click anywhere else on the game screen one time, as at the most slightly annoying.

I don't want to chase anyone off, I am just trying to put in a comparative analysis in and I might be a bit incredulous as being one of the two people currently putting in the hours to make this implementation the best that we can.
I find OCTGN amazing for all the positive aspects you mentioned! Im sure after a couple of games most players will be grateful for everything it offers. Glad youre spending your time making it better and pls keep doing it! Cant live without OCTGN! ;)

Gizzu

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile

I find OCTGN amazing for all the positive aspects you mentioned! Im sure after a couple of games most players will be grateful for everything it offers. Glad youre spending your time making it better and pls keep doing it! Cant live without OCTGN! ;)

Totally agree with Charmyna! Long live OCTGN!!! ;)

Cya,
G.

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
It takes a few games to get used to it.

Im happy that it has so much table top feel. Contrary to other digitalized gamed Board games playing MW on OCTGN actually feels like playing an actual board game.

When that is said i too appreciate some of the goodies OCTGN gives such as:
Good overview of the entire spellbook
No status cubes flying around - accidently changing HP / MANA
All Things are tracked in the chat for easy reference in case of doubt (did i take that mana on Voltari?)
No cleanup - especially putting the cards back in spellbooks.
Most importantly: Easy access to other players.

lettucemode

the dev would be able to answer the feasibility.

*bing*

- Is there a better/built-in way to cast them other than moving the face down planned ones over and manually subtracting 2 Mana?

Currently, no, as the game does not differentiate between casting a facedown enchantment on something and just moving the card around.

- How does one suppress the reflex to double click for casting/processing one gets from casting other cards? That reveal can be awkward. >.<

That will come with time. However it is certainly possible to put in a little "Are you sure?" window whenever a player double-clicks a face-down enchantment.

- Is there a way to actually attach enchantments to their targets? For now, I can only find drawing a box around them to activate them all, then moving that group. Every. Time. I'm pretty sure I saw group movement without the box in some video or other though, so maybe I'm just missing something.

This is possible via scripting. If cards could be attached to each other, then your first issue could be worked into that as well (pay two mana whenever you attach an enchantment to something else). There are a few things to consider though, like how people put equipment/enchantments on their Mage off to the side of the board.

This has been in the back of my mind as part of a long-term add-more-automation initiative but I don't have a ballpark date for you. Right now I am going after low hanging fruit like resolving Burn tokens automatically.

Convention question:
Usually you know/expect full well that you're facing a nullify/block or defense etc and are deliberately trying to draw that out, so will wait for flip/noflip confirm before proceeding in relevant situations. What if you forget? Just roll back to fix it, ignore rolls, and too bad about any inadvertently revealed information?

The rulebook says that if you illegally flip something like a Block or Nullify, it is destroyed without effect. A bit harsh but the most fair IMO. If you forget to reveal a Block or Nullify then rolling back is a solution, destroying the enchantment without effect is another. Whatever you decide should benefit your opponent, though, as you misplayed.

Usually what I do is the shift + click thing to draw the arrow to show what I am targeting with my spell, then wait for my opponent to say "ok" or reveal in response.

Semi-mechanical follow-up to that:
Also, any user-friendly way to communicate these things with button press chat outputs (like the "is done" ctrl right) or HUD displays or something? With chatbox being active killing the game interface, the whole affair seems incredibly onerous imo.

It is certainly possible to add more text messages to the game. I am not sure that adding additional information in a HUD is possible - I am pretty sure OCTGN only shows cards, markers, and the like on the board. I don't think that even something like floating text is possible. Even if it were possible it would take a good effort to get that HUD to sync between the players (OCTGN automatically syncs the cards/markers/etc for us). Since the chat window is already sync'd it doesn't make much sense to spend time implementing something that already exists, know what I mean?

*bing*
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 10:02:51 AM by lettucemode »

Weltenreiter

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Thanks for the clarifications, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

(And I didn't want to disrespect anyone with the onerous comment. Coming from WoW et al, anything that would make me even think about "hey, I should get out some Teamspeak/Skype for this" is onerous in my book. Especially WoW. :P)

DrunkenSaint

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Hey ad me to the list! would love to get in some more Mage wars Games! any way I can!
My user name is DrunkenSaint! cya there!

MageHorst

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • MiĆ©villean Tentacle
    • View Profile
I'd like to be added, too. User name: MageHorst.
Just finding my way into OCTGN.

Thanks a lot!

Oh, and one question: is someone streaming matches on a more or less regular basis (Charmyna?)? And if so, are those announced somewhere?
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
Yes, warlord! No other victory feels more rewarding. =)

Charmyna

• Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
  • Dark Destroyer
    • View Profile
I'd like to be added, too. User name: MageHorst.
Just finding my way into OCTGN.

Thanks a lot!

Oh, and one question: is someone streaming matches on a more or less regular basis (Charmyna?)? And if so, are those announced somewhere?

I am streaming videos now and then. Usually I list them here:
http://forum.arcanewonders.com/index.php?topic=13428.0

If I find more time in RL I will stream again. But cant promise when that will be. I will announce it in the thread above for sure :).
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 11:07:27 AM by Charmyna »

Sylex

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • Nobody sees the Wizard! Not nobody, not no how!
    • View Profile
I'd like an add as well. I think I've gotten the hang of things on OCTGN thanks to some patience on behalf of my opponents. Would love to get a chance to play more games. Name is the same (sylex)

Charmyna

• Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
  • Dark Destroyer
    • View Profile
Re: NEW Beginners guide to play MW online via Octgn and a List of players
« Reply #59 on: February 15, 2014, 11:54:32 AM »
Made a new video guide for using Octgn to play MW online! Everything is explained via audio comments so I hope its convenient to learn it this way!
http://www.twitch.tv/charmyna/c/3727214