May 17, 2024, 05:52:40 PM

Author Topic: Questions about fireshaper ring and caltrops  (Read 8057 times)

feedback

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Questions about fireshaper ring and caltrops
« on: March 26, 2013, 10:13:29 AM »
1.- Can I have two fireshaper rings with my wizard, so they add +2 to his fire attacks? I assume the answer is yes, but I want to confirm this.
2.- Is the fireshaper ring bonus added to attacks binded to the elemental wand? (getting, for instance, a binded 8-dice attack fireball with the two rings). I am not sure if the bonus is just used for 'straight' attacks the mage casts -attack and discard the spell-, or also for the attacks coming from binded spells.
3.- If my mage is in a zone with caltrops, and he summons a creature there, is that summoned creature affected by caltrops?

Thank you!
“Can a magician kill a man by magic?” Lord Wellington asked Strange. Strange frowned. He seemed to dislike the question. “I suppose a magician might,” he admitted, “but a gentleman never would.”

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Questions about fireshaper ring and caltrops
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 10:23:45 AM »
Quote from: "feedback666" post=9804
1.- Can I have two fireshaper rings with my wizard, so they add +2 to his fire attacks? I assume the answer is yes, but I want to confirm this.
2.- Is the fireshaper ring bonus added to attacks binded to the elemental wand? (getting, for instance, a binded 8-dice attack fireball with the two rings). I am not sure if the bonus is just used for 'straight' attacks the mage casts -attack and discard the spell-, or also for the attacks coming from binded spells.
3.- If my mage is in a zone with caltrops, and he summons a creature there, is that summoned creature affected by caltrops?

Thank you!

1.- Can I have two fireshaper rings with my wizard, so they add +2 to his fire attacks?
NO

2.- Is the fireshaper ring bonus added to attacks binded to the elemental wand?
Yes

Under discussion - So far most of the rules team has voted no. For balancing reasons summons will not set off any enters the zone affect.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Tacullu64

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 10:29:06 AM »
Quote from: "feedback666" post=9804

Thank you!

1.  No, you may not have a second Fireshapers Ring attached to your mage. Mages can only have one copy of any given piece of equipment attached at a time.

2.  The bonus is added to spells cast using an Elemental Wand. Your mage is still casting the spell, it is just spellbound to the wand. The bonus is only +1 per the answer to number one above.

[strike]3.  I believe the ruling on this is yes because it doesn't matter how the creature entered the zone, only that it entered. [/strike]

Two out of three is not bad except when answering rules questions. Thanks for giving the correct answer Shadow.

feedback

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 10:35:18 AM »
Wow, that was speed-of-light answer! Thanks! :D:D:D

[strike]Why no to the two rings? Rules say two rings can be used at the same time in page 20, and I have been trying too find something about it in the 'attack modifiers' section in page 24. Actually I asked this because it seems to me a VERY powerful combination to be able to have a 8 dice burning attack, but I didn't manage to find something saying this is not possible.[/strike]

Thanks again!

EDIT: Thanks for the answer about the rings, Tacullu64. I missed that thing about having two copies of the same piece of equipment at the same time. Great!
“Can a magician kill a man by magic?” Lord Wellington asked Strange. Strange frowned. He seemed to dislike the question. “I suppose a magician might,” he admitted, “but a gentleman never would.”

Sausageman

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 06:28:42 PM »
Fwiw, I'm with you on the 'being summoned into a zone doesn't count as entering it' thing. Then again, the caltrops are pretty unique here.
I suppose an argument could be made thar being summoned and teleporting has the same net result... They 'appear' in a zone.

Tacullu64

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 06:54:07 PM »
Quote from: "Sausageman" post=9845
Fwiw, I'm with you on the 'being summoned into a zone doesn't count as entering it' thing. Then again, the caltrops are pretty unique here.
I suppose an argument could be made thar being summoned and teleporting has the same net result... They 'appear' in a zone.

I was thinking along the lines of your teleport comparison. I don't have a preference though and would be happy with either ruling. I just want to get it right in games.

Klaxas

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 08:01:01 PM »
i would also like to add that if you want an 8 die fire attack on a wand, use the fireshaper ring and add a hawkeye enchantment to yourself.  the fireball counts as a ranged attack giving you the extra die for hawkeye and an extra die for the fireshaper ring.
Favorite Mage: The one I am using.

Tacullu64

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 08:35:08 PM »
Quote from: "Klaxas" post=9857
i would also like to add that if you want an 8 die fire attack on a wand, use the fireshaper ring and add a hawkeye enchantment to yourself.  the fireball counts as a ranged attack giving you the extra die for hawkeye and an extra die for the fireshaper ring.

Actually we are debating the Hawkeye thing on another thread at the moment, so the jury is still out on that one. I'm in agreement with you but we'll have to wait and see how it turns out.

Here is the link.

http://magewars.com/jsite/forum/strategy-and-tactics/9640-using-attack-spells-as-the-warlord

DarthDadaD20

• Dark Father of Random Occurrence/TeamRocket Grunt
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2013, 01:10:43 AM »

Teleporting is entering in a zone.
Mage Wars Rules Book:

An enemy creature might enter the zone by taking
a move action, or it might get Pushed or Teleported.
However it enters the zone, the trap is triggered

I say summoning should be entering a zone. 1. The rule book for traps say However. 2. I like to place caltrops on a zone with a spawn point. Its just good clean fun.

But no matter the ruling for summoning might end up as....Teleporting is entering in a zone.
Where does my greatest enemy lie?
It has been around since the dawn of time,
it follows your loved ones as well as mine,
takes the form of a mountain as well as a flower,
it cannot be outrun by the greatest of power.
Within Shad0w.

Klaxas

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2013, 03:01:04 AM »
Quote from: "Tacullu64" post=9862
Quote from: "Klaxas" post=9857

Actually we are debating the Hawkeye thing on another thread at the moment, so the jury is still out on that one. I'm in agreement with you but we'll have to wait and see how it turns out.

Here is the link.

http://magewars.com/jsite/forum/strategy-and-tactics/9640-using-attack-spells-as-the-warlord

this shouldnt even be a question.  attack spells are ranged attacks (as denoted by the ranged attack symbol on the card) the strategy of combining fireshaper ring and hawkeye (or at the time it was lightning ring and hawkeye and thunderbolt) this was first brought to my attention at gen con while playing with one of the original playtesters (shadow to be exact) i will be very surprised if i have been playing this incorrectly.

DarthDadaD20

• Dark Father of Random Occurrence/TeamRocket Grunt
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2013, 03:06:54 AM »
What is shad0w like in real life.......I bet amazing.
It has been around since the dawn of time,
it follows your loved ones as well as mine,
takes the form of a mountain as well as a flower,
it cannot be outrun by the greatest of power.
Within Shad0w.

Klaxas

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2013, 03:47:30 AM »
lol he was fun to hang out with.  we had a long discussion about the warlock, idol of pestilance build. and the hawkeye lightning ring discussion jump started my lightning wizard equipment/enchantment build.  it was kind of funny i had 2 battle forges in that deck.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2013, 08:12:24 AM »

Poison gas cloud and hellfire trap say Hi  ;)
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2013, 08:15:56 AM »
Quote from: "DarthDadaD20" post=9886
What is shad0w like in real life.......I bet amazing.

I am so amazing I even surprise myself sometimes  :lol:

Sausageman

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2013, 12:02:11 PM »
Quote from: "Shad0w" post=9909

Poison gas cloud and hellfire trap say Hi  ;)

They may well do, but I don't believe they have a place here ;)
Poison Gas Cloud only damages in the upkeep phase, and the only way to summon a creature in a zone that has a Hellfire Trap in it (I believe) is for the spawnpoint to do it. Because caltrops can be put anywhere, it works slightly differently in my eyes.
Course, it's all moot as the salient point remains - is a summoned creature entering the zone :)