May 17, 2024, 05:00:51 PM

Author Topic: Various Rules questions after playing  (Read 4709 times)

RedEye

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Various Rules questions after playing
« on: July 06, 2013, 11:01:50 AM »
1) If the mage gains flying, does his dancing scimitar benefit from flying too?

2) Dancing Scimitar is a flying sword with an attack called "flying slash", so shouldn't it have flying as a trait?

3) Do you HAVE to pay the blind cost for enchantments? Can you not just pay the reveal cost and forgo having to have it hidden?

4) Spellbind states that you may bind a spell when the spell with the spellbind trait. If you do not bind a spell at this point, can you no longer bind spells to it? If you are allowed to bind new spells, do you have to pay the re-binding cost when there is no spell currently bound to the object?

5) If the bound spell is removed from an object with spellbind can you bind a new spell to it? Will this incur re-binding cost if the object has such a cost?

6) Does paying the activation cost of an enchantment (turning it over) count as the spell being cast?

7) does the mage have to be in the same zone as battle forge to get the equipment.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 01:52:27 PM by RedEye »

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
Re: Various Rules questions after playing
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 12:04:22 AM »
1) there is no way that I'm aware of for a mage to gain flying.

2) Presumably it needs to stay near it's mage, so chasing down falcons is out.

3) After paying the 2 mana to play a face down enchantment, you can choose to immediately reveal it. At that point you still don't have to pay the reveal cost, but if you don't, you discard the enchantment. You always have to pay the cost to cast the enchantment, and then the reveal cost if you want to end up with a face up enchantment that stays in play and does stuff for you.

4) Binding a spell to it later depends on the object. You could bind an incantation to Mage Wand later on because it has an ability that lets you change the bound spell. Thoughtspore doesn't have the ability to change the bound spell, so if you choose not to bind anything, that Thoughtspore will just not have a spell bound to it (which means it will be worthless, but...).

5) Same as 4.

6) No.

7) No, equipment spells all have a range of 0-2, so the mage must be within 2 zones and line of sight to get the equipment.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 04:39:44 PM »
If the scmitiar's attack would have anything it would be "reach". but it doesnt... so it can only be used against non-flyers.

Yes you must pay 2 mana whenever you cast an enchantment. Enchanments are ALWAYS cast facedown. When you choose to reveal, you pay reveal cost.

Spells cannot be moved from an object with spellbind.
Except the objects that allows you to bind a new spell to itself... the then original spell is sent back to the owners spellbook.

Some objects allows you to PREPARE spells (familiars, spawnpoints)...this is different. Prepared spells are one time only - either the spell is resolved (incantation and attack spell) and then going to the discard pile. Or summoned to the board (creatures, enchantments, equipment, conjurations).
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 04:41:58 PM by jacksmack »

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 05:39:48 PM »
Good work all. Anything else that you need to know Redeye?
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

RedEye

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 10:52:25 AM »
More/followup questions:

1) "When you cast a spell with the SPELLBIND trait, you may immediately bind a spell to it..."
'May' indicates that you don't have to. My previous question was for this instance. Can I just bind whenever I want. I assume I can do so whenever I can perform an action (as in not an opponent's turn), but as I read it, that might be allowed to. That makes this VERY powerful. I can have an open unbound item and bind it to bind the perfect spell to counter whatever the opponent is doing on his turn

2) I read somewhere that you cannot have more than one dancing scimitar at once. Why? Where is it stated? I can't find it.

3) Has anyone tried playing with 3 spell choices? The whole picking two spells seems... constraining. Having a third choice even if you don't cast it feels more tactical as opposed to just worrying about timing the two you have in hand.

cbalian

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 01:06:52 PM »
The reason you can't have 2 Dancing Scimitars is because they count as "equipment" and you can not have two of the SAME piece of equipment hence you can not have 2 Dancing Scimitars.  Similarly you can not have 2 of the SAME ring equipped.

Rulebook bottom right on Page 20:
"You may not have more than one equipment spell with the
same name attached to your Mage at any time."
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 01:16:39 PM by cbalian »

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 01:19:04 PM »
1) If you don't bind a spell, then you can only bind a spell if the ability of the card lets you bind a card later. For example, you must bind a spell to Thoughtspore when you cast it if you want it to ever have a spell bound to it. You can't bind a spell to it later. Wizard's Tower, on the other hand, can change the spell bound to it every upkeep. Mage Wand and Elemental Wand can bind a spell later on, but it costs you mana and an action, as indicated on the cards.

2) You cannot have more than 1 card with the same name attached to a single object. This applies to equipment, enchantments, and conjurations. You can't have 2 Dancing Scimitars or 2 Bear Strengths on your mage.

3) I have not. Apparently there is a promo card for the Wizard that lets you do that, but I haven't played with it. You don't always cast both spells you select anyway, so you can often set up a choice of what to do with your turn based on what your opponent does. There is plenty of room for tactical play in the game as it is, and normally only getting 2 cards forces tougher choices up front (plus it makes play faster, since you are choosing fewer cards per turn). I think the system works fine as it is. Also, some mages have innate spells that act as a pseudo 3rd card in hand, like Arcane Zap.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 01:40:06 PM »
More/followup questions:

1) "When you cast a spell with the SPELLBIND trait, you may immediately bind a spell to it..."
'May' indicates that you don't have to. My previous question was for this instance. Can I just bind whenever I want. I assume I can do so whenever I can perform an action (as in not an opponent's turn), but as I read it, that might be allowed to. That makes this VERY powerful. I can have an open unbound item and bind it to bind the perfect spell to counter whatever the opponent is doing on his turn

2) I read somewhere that you cannot have more than one dancing scimitar at once. Why? Where is it stated? I can't find it.

3) Has anyone tried playing with 3 spell choices? The whole picking two spells seems... constraining. Having a third choice even if you don't cast it feels more tactical as opposed to just worrying about timing the two you have in hand.

1: The bound card must be legal.
If you skip the bind trigger you can not rebind later (unless stated on the card).

2: Rulebook V2 PG: 20 bottom right
You may not have more than one equipment spell with the same name attached to your Mage at any time.

3: Yes we have tested with more than 2 cards.
Do not worry we may have some ways for your mage to plan more cards.  :-X
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

RedEye

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2013, 12:05:04 AM »
1) are spells on equipment (wands, etc) 'cast' when used. IE does magebane trigger?
2) Forcefield says it works on attacks, does that include attack spells or just combat attacks?
3) Are you allowed to look through your opponent's deck and/or discard pile? Are you allowed to look through your own deck/discard pile (other than planning phase)?
4) Harmonize has magebind +2, does that count oh his/her equipment? The actual target is the equipment but the extra channel goes to the mage.

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2013, 02:39:49 AM »
1) When you cast a spell from a wand such as Mage Wand, it triggers Magebane. You're still casting a spell.

2) Forcefield works against all attacks, even Unavoidable ones. This includes both attack spells and non-spell attacks.

3) You can look through your opponent's discard pile, but not their deck. You can look through your own deck and discard pile whenever you want.

4) The Magebind cost only applies if you target the mage. The extra channeling does not go to the mage, it goes to the object Harmonize is actually attached to. Harmonize can only be attached to objects with the channeling trait. So far Sectarus is the only equipment with a channeling attribute, so it's the only equipment card that you're allowed to attach Harmonize to.

Klaxas

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2013, 09:20:04 AM »
to further clarify, moonglow amulet for example, does not have a channeling value. so it cannot be the target of a harmonize.

same goes for mana flower and mana crystal.

if you want to harmonize your mage you have to pay the magebind value.  also you can only do this once as you can only have one object of the same name attached to your mage
Favorite Mage: The one I am using.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2013, 10:36:53 PM »
1) When you cast a spell from a wand such as Mage Wand, it triggers Magebane. You're still casting a spell.

2) Forcefield works against all attacks, even Unavoidable ones. This includes both attack spells and non-spell attacks.

3) You can look through your opponent's discard pile, but not their deck. You can look through your own deck and discard pile whenever you want.

4) The Magebind cost only applies if you target the mage. The extra channeling does not go to the mage, it goes to the object Harmonize is actually attached to. Harmonize can only be attached to objects with the channeling trait. So far Sectarus is the only equipment with a channeling attribute, so it's the only equipment card that you're allowed to attach Harmonize to.

Yup