May 18, 2024, 05:24:01 AM

Author Topic: The wall thing  (Read 3332 times)

Vargtass

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
The wall thing
« on: June 13, 2014, 12:23:49 PM »
I know there is a thread adressing this, but Im still confused. (Probably because mage wars rules usually make such good sense to me when I learn them.)

Sure it makes sense that walls are considered between zones. But I dont see why that means you cant guard them? If the argument is that guards can only guard the zone they are in, coudnt you just as easily argue that means you cant attack walls with melee strikes because melee strikes have 0 range and you cant reach things outside your zone?

I just dont get thematicly why a guard couldnt just get between an attacker and the wall.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
Re: The wall thing
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 12:31:15 PM »
The argument is that a Wall is a very long object and it would be very hard to be able to be everywhere to guard the length of the wall.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 12:54:54 PM »
can ranged attacks against walls be intercepted?

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2014, 12:59:46 PM »
That is a great question that crossed my mind, I am not sure of the ruling on that one however....
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Vargtass

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2014, 02:50:41 PM »
The argument is that a Wall is a very long object and it would be very hard to be able to be everywhere to guard the length of the wall.

Well... I can see how you mean. Hmm... I just havnt viewed guarding necessarily about the ability to physically block the attacker. Even if you can give your enemy the slip for a moment turning your back on someone on the battlefield means its pretty easy for them to stick a sword in it.
It would make more sense to me if you could have a guard counter attack someone attacking a wall in your zone because you haveto expose yourself in order to attack the wall. 

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2014, 12:04:41 AM »
When we are back I will look this over.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Arlemus

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2014, 08:50:52 AM »

Seems like the logic to me would be:

1).  Intercept: "if a ranged attacked targets a non-flying object in the same zone"

2).  Codex (pg.18): "Walls do not occupy a zone"

3).  Since the ranged attack is being made against the wall, and the wall isn't in a zone, you can't intercept it.

• Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2014, 05:13:12 PM »

Seems like the logic to me would be:

1).  Intercept: "if a ranged attacked targets a non-flying object in the same zone"

2).  Codex (pg.18): "Walls do not occupy a zone"

3).  Since the ranged attack is being made against the wall, and the wall isn't in a zone, you can't intercept it.

If this is the exact wording you are correct.  8)

BTW you just got a sticker.

"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage