May 04, 2024, 11:24:42 PM

Author Topic: Opinions are like Teleports. Everyone has one.  (Read 13961 times)

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
Re: Opinions are like Teleports. Everyone has one.
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2014, 10:08:09 AM »
"Everybody" doesn't have the same polite courtesy that gentlemen or lady does. It is the broad equivalent of guys and gals, really. I maintain that English does not have an all inclusive word with the same connotations :P lol

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Opinions are like Teleports. Everyone has one.
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2014, 10:14:29 AM »
Godspeed everyone. To all the people of these forums, Godspeed.

Better?

And don't forget I also used singular they which can be either formal or informal.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Sylex

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • Nobody sees the Wizard! Not nobody, not no how!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2014, 10:18:44 AM »
Godspeed everyone. To all the people of these forums, Godspeed.

I am Sylex, and I approve this message ;)

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2014, 11:20:17 AM »

Well the topic was supposed to be my opinions as well as everyone else's, and to that extent, we haven't been OFF topic very often.

Also Godspeed gentlemen was pretty much a figure of speech towards the developers in hopes of a speedy and successful release.
In Air Force terms, I hope that mission is successful. I certainly wasn't trying to be sexist or negative toward any certain demographic, although I may sometimes forget that I'm speaking to a broader audience here than I'm used to so if I offended anyone, it wasn't my intention to do so.

That being said, if political correctness is what you seek, then my posts probably aren't the ones to follow.

No worries, I wasn't offended, just mildly annoyed. When people are being unintentionally sexist without malice, it's like a hard to reach itch that just HAS to be scratched. It probably wouldn't bug me so much if I didn't encounter it ALL THE TIME. Imagine if everyone around you started believing the sky was teal or turquoise, even though the daytime sky is obviously blue and not green. Even if it doesn't really matter, you'd probably have the strong urge to correct people about the color of the sky too.

How do you know it is not you whos wrong believing it is blue? ;)

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2014, 12:17:52 PM »
Colors are subjective. Especially since different people are able to detect different colors. Most women physically have more receptors in their eyes allowing them to distinguish more different shades and colors than men. Most people can only discern around 5 distinct colors in a natural rainbow, while some can describe 10+

The sky doesn't necessarily look the same to everyone.

Gregstrom

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2014, 05:16:33 PM »
Interesting colour perception fact: a very small proportion of women have an extra type of colour receptor in the eye, enabling them to see a wider colour gamut than the rest of the population.  Apparently developing a visual test for this was extremely difficult, never mind things like trying to communicate the differences in perception.

Sylex

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • Nobody sees the Wizard! Not nobody, not no how!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2014, 02:38:00 AM »
I refuse to comment on the color of the sky as I work nights, and don't go outside very often. Could be polk-a-dots for all I know.

If the sky was green, how would we know when to stop mowing the lawn?

Ya...........get THAT stirring around in the noodle.