May 03, 2024, 08:08:13 AM

Author Topic: Gun line deck?  (Read 9534 times)

paradox22

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • MOKAN Mage Wars
Gun line deck?
« on: October 10, 2012, 03:19:15 PM »
Anyone made a successful ranged deck?  I'm thinking of trying one that is designed to slow the opponent down while he crosses the field and punishes him with ranged attacks (archers, invarium longbow +hawkeye, thunderbolt, etc).  With tangle vines, walls, teleport, stun, poison cloud, and force hold/forcepush, I think you could have a lot of movement denial. .  For reference I'll  probably be using the priestess since she has the most ranged creatures(archers), and build from there

How would you guys go about crafting such a spell book...and if you already tried it, what did you learn?

Thanks!
Si vis pacem para bellum

Mestrahd

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Gun line deck?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 08:33:24 PM »
Sounds like a good idea. Although you'd have to get your Priestess pretty far afield to cast the walls exactly where you want them. Get some solid melee units to protect the front and get 4 Royal Archers and 4 Gorgon Archers, maybe even some Flaming Hellions...

Let me know how it works. It sounds like a good backup plan to the Temple build that I'm currently using.

paradox22

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • MOKAN Mage Wars
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 02:53:56 PM »
Well, definatly dont have 4 gorgons yet...  What the temple build that you mentioned?
Si vis pacem para bellum

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 03:12:45 PM »
Quote from: "paradox22" post=2009
Anyone made a successful ranged deck?  I'm thinking of trying one that is designed to slow the opponent down while he crosses the field and punishes him with ranged attacks (archers, invarium longbow +hawkeye, thunderbolt, etc).  With tangle vines, walls, teleport, stun, poison cloud, and force hold/forcepush, I think you could have a lot of movement denial. .  For reference I'll  probably be using the priestess since she has the most ranged creatures(archers), and build from there

How would you guys go about crafting such a spell book...and if you already tried it, what did you learn?

Thanks!

Have you looked at this thread.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Mestrahd

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2012, 09:10:41 PM »
Quote from: "paradox22" post=2109
Well, definatly dont have 4 gorgons yet...  What the temple build that you mentioned?

The Temple build is to use the various temples the Priestess has available to make a strong, free attack with the Temple of Light. That and the fact that temples like Hand of Bim-Shalla are great on their own doesn't hurt either. The only problem with the build is it requires lots of real estate as each Temple is Zone Exclusive.

Klaxas

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 11:31:17 AM »
there are also some cards comming up that will really help the ranged build of any mage.
Favorite Mage: The one I am using.

Mestrahd

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2012, 12:42:50 PM »
I built a preliminary version of this deck with the Wizard as my mage. I've got 3 Royal Archers (1/6th of my book points), 2 Gorgon Archers, and I've got 2 Ivarium Longbows as well. I went with the wizard because it's very easy to get out the Gorgons with Gate to Voltari, leaving you only the Royals to hard cast. I threw in a couple Hydras and a Basilisk for melee support and it's pretty brutal. I tested it against the Beastmaster, and Redclaw and BM had over 6 weak tokens each and every Timber Wolf had at least 2. I think the BM could have still won it if I threw down a heal though. Still very brutal firing line.  I enjoyed it very much, thank you for the idea!

paradox22

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • MOKAN Mage Wars
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2012, 12:56:39 AM »
Quote from: "Klaxas" post=2741
there are also some cards comming up that will really help the ranged build of any mage.

Any hints?   :woohoo:
Si vis pacem para bellum

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2012, 11:43:53 AM »
Quote from: "paradox22" post=2833
Quote from: "Klaxas" post=2741

Any hints?   :woohoo:

Not allowed sorry. Unless the AW team does it first. ;)
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Archwizard07

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 05:24:52 PM »
For this type of build I would really try to get some basilisks in, cripple can be a real boon for limiting movement and allowing those extra shots per round. I use them in the Wizard teleporting/pushing book for just that reason.

Cripple +Poison Cloud+force push=good times!  ;)

paradox22

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • MOKAN Mage Wars
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2013, 11:58:46 PM »
With all the new ranged options that came out in the new expansion has anyone had any recent success with a gun line build?
Si vis pacem para bellum

spike.hsueh

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2013, 11:31:47 PM »
Warlord has brought us sniper,watchtower and hammer
I put sniper and watchtower in my priest deck
early-round sniper + temple of light provide strong defense for me and pressure to the opponent mage
stone walls and mage wand+force push in the center battlefield can earn some developing time
teleport and tanglevine as well
lost against warlock due to luck of experience
(totally forgot preist's built-in condition remover and many other mistakes)
but i did see some potential of this deck

piousflea

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2013, 04:36:25 PM »
I feel like the sniper+watchtower actually work better for priestess or wizard than they do for warlord. The priestess and wizard have an easier time countering teleports and curses and other bad things on the sniper. True, the warlord can support his sniper with caltrops and walls, but teleports and nullifies and force holds work even better.

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2013, 02:04:34 PM »
If i build Archers Watchtower, put a Sniper in it and then put it behind a stone wall only danger now is flying creatures, right?

I mean, mages have no LoS thus they cannot target sniper. Same for ranged units and melee have to "kill" wall first.

Right now, iam a rule newbie so i am definetly overlooking something ;)
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

spike.hsueh

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2013, 11:34:49 PM »
Thanks for the idea!!
I played stone walls to lock up sniper instead of put stone walls near enemy to block them today
and a close-won over my friend's aggro Big-badass BM
locked-up watchtower and sniper and archer  in (0,0) in first 2 rounds
(angels gonna work better than archer in walls,cause watchtower only provide indirect ability once per turn)
a temple at (1,1) plus priest hanging outside to daze/stun/tanglevine creatures
and sniper just keep on shooting aggro BM
used Bin-Shalla to help ToL
(cheap,and MINOR heal :S. Priest is the only one outside,malee +1 doesn't help at all)
a lay hand helps me survive longer
and a teleport to pull BM in front of sniper gaves him a last shot
(I was gonna bite to death next turn )

might try teleport binding on mage wand for sniper next time
evil huh?

and i am thinking of make a 1X3 or 2X3 stone wall coverage
despite watchtower have a zone exclusive and non-neighbor limitation
2 or 3 watchtowers still enough to  give archers/snipers a happy hunting ;)
an aggro-gunline?