May 06, 2024, 01:26:01 PM

Author Topic: Priestess "gain 1 life" ability  (Read 9476 times)

rpavlicek

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Priestess "gain 1 life" ability
« on: January 20, 2013, 01:52:58 PM »
the priestess has an ability that lets her gain 1 life after casting a holy spell (incantation?)

If she is at maximum life does her life increase? Since it doesn't say "heal", it seems unclear...

Gewar

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
Re: Priestess "gain 1 life" ability
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 03:06:55 PM »
In Mage Wars there are seperate concepts of Life and Damage.

In general, during the game, your damage increses. When damage is equal your life, you are dead.
All healing effects are removing damage - if you have none, you do not heal.

But there are some effects that modyfies your life:
- Priestess gains life when casting Holly spells - it means, you should increase your maximum life (but do not change your damage).
- Warlock's Blood Reaper is paid by your life - you decrease your maximum life and you won't be able to ever heal it.
"I've seen this spell before - sold in alleys, brothels, and taverns. Men want more life. Always, they want more life."
- Rae Ashar, Wench of the Flying Dragon

Arcanus

• Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Re: Priestess "gain 1 life" ability
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 03:20:33 PM »
Well said.  

Life = the maximum amount of damage you can take before being destroyed.  There is no limit to how high Life can go, so the Priestess can keep increasing her Life.

YoungDave

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Priestess \
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 06:29:25 AM »
Sorry to revive a long dead thread, but I'm new to the game and was looking at "maximum life of a Mage" (that's what I asked the search engine, and it came up with this).

The reason that I'm asking, is life "capped" at box 41 on the Life / Damage grid? - it would appear not from the previous answer.  But if it's not capped at 41, does this mean that a "Sunfire Amulet" will keep letting you add life as long as the game goes on - so your Mage could end up on 50, 60, 70 or more life (okay, so that would be a long game, but you get my point?).

It now makes a Sunfire Amulate on a Priestess very attractive.

Thanks in anticipation.

Dave I

ACG

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 07:23:05 AM »
The reason that I'm asking, is life "capped" at box 41 on the Life / Damage grid? - it would appear not from the previous answer.  But if it's not capped at 41, does this mean that a "Sunfire Amulet" will keep letting you add life as long as the game goes on - so your Mage could end up on 50, 60, 70 or more life (okay, so that would be a long game, but you get my point?)

Life is not capped. Mana and channeling are also not capped. If your game went on an extremely long time, the Sunfire amulet could indeed bring your mage to improbably high life totals.

YoungDave

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 04:14:56 AM »
Thanks for this reply ACG.  Makes getting a Sunfire Amulet out early even nicer - and it can also have the ongoing benefit on Mages that start with a higher life total (Warlock anyone - for 5 spell points?!?).

I know a couple of my buddies are going to be giving it "what the %*"! " when I start the Priestess' life total on the "second time round" on the grid.  But it does make sense - why should something that increases just randomly stop - unless of course, it was a rule!

These forums are just so helpful - thanks to all.

Dave I

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 01:08:56 PM »
The Warlock has a few tricks of his own that the Priestess doesn't have. Specifically, [mwcard=MWSTX1CKI01]Drain Soul[/mwcard]. Casting this one spell immediately makes him jump off the board to 44 Life. I'm not sure if I would bother with the Sunfire Amulet, however. Giving him regeneration or vampiric is much cheaper in spellpoints and can work even better at keeping him alive.