May 15, 2024, 02:58:14 PM

Author Topic: I taught the owner of my FLGS how to play last night...  (Read 3535 times)

ozmo

• Playtester
  • Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
I taught the owner of my FLGS how to play last night...
« on: March 27, 2014, 05:07:45 PM »
And he's hooked! He's looking into signing up as a retailer. He's one of the destination Magic venues in our area so there's some solid potential for the game.

I've been playing a few weeks so far and taught my regular heroclix buddy, my wife and my daughter. Everybody loves it so far. I had my venue owner intrigued and we got a game in last night. Also had another clix friend and a guy in the store.

So I setup the three of them and my clix buddy on the board. I had the four apprentice books already built. We used the magnetic noteboards in the creative forum. 2 had status boards and 2 just kept track with the magnet boards.

I did a brief rules overview and left the detailed explanations for in game. My friend played the priestess, owner played warlock, my other clix friend ran beastmaster and the guy ran the wizard.

It was interesting to watch the interactions. These were all seasoned gamers so they picked it up pretty quickly.  The warlock & wizard started dueling as did the beastmaster and priestess. Shortly though, the beastmaster & priestess moved near the other two and ganged up on them. The wizard didn't last long, especially after the warlock exploded his elemental wand.

The warlock held on and fought a great fought but couldn't withstand unicorns, bears and knights oh my.

The priestess prevailed in the long run with Brogan doing much of the dirty work.

Everybody loved it and I think there will be more core sets than mine floating around.

Just wanted to share and say that it was probably the best couple hours of not playing a game I've had. Loved watching everybody get the hang of it.

Thanks for reading!

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Re: I taught the owner of my FLGS how to play last night...
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 05:56:24 PM »
This is fantastic! If he needs anything just let me know, and Welcome to the Arena!

ozmo

• Playtester
  • Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 06:02:43 PM »
This is fantastic! If he needs anything just let me know, and Welcome to the Arena!

Thanks, will do!

I knew I had him when I looked over and he was hugging the warlock's spellbook. Yes. Hugging it. :)

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 06:55:17 PM »

Thanks, will do!

I knew I had him when I looked over and he was hugging the warlock's spellbook. Yes. Hugging it. :)

He was HUGGING it? Wow.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 07:04:42 PM »
That's awesome dude! I got some demos coming up at some local shops too. Good to see the game growing.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

ozmo

• Playtester
  • Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 08:49:14 PM »

Thanks, will do!

He was HUGGING it? Wow.

Well he claims it was just convenient to hold it because the table was crowded and he was reading it between activations. But it sure looked a lot like hugging to me... yup. I'm sticking with hugging.

ozmo

• Playtester
  • Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2014, 11:47:46 AM »
Update - Got some more playtime in last night. Also found a couple of other regulars who have just started as well. That puts our group up to 10 or so people!

South Florida is looking good for Arena battles!

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2014, 12:32:08 PM »
That sounds fantastic! Glad that things are going well.