May 01, 2024, 06:25:09 PM

Author Topic: Whose Tokens?  (Read 4761 times)

YoungDave

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Whose Tokens?
« on: March 25, 2014, 03:38:24 AM »
Morning guys,

An unusual question I suppose, but whose tokens / counters do you use when you play?

The reason I ask is because the club had a meeting on Sunday, and I sat down to play one of my buddies - and it was my board we had out.  Now I should have mentioned that we're just starting off getting into Mage Wars (loving it!) so some of us have a lot of kit, while others are still waiting to get their main box set.  But both Joe and I have lots.  So it was my board that was on the table, and I mentioned that we'd be best using "just my counters".  Joe was fine with that, but mentioned that he'd be using his "Eternel Servant" counter.  No worries thought I.

Came to the end of the day and we packed away.  Fine.  So I had a different friend round at mine yesterday and had decided to use my Necromancer spellbook - and it was my first outing with him - and guess what - could I find my "Eternal Servant" counter.  So a quick phone call later  and yup, Joe had accidentally picked mine up when sorting his cards out at the end of our game.  Now this isn't a worry - I'll be seeing Joe on Thursday night, so I'll get it back then.  But if I hadn't decided to play the Necromancer yesterday (and maybe not for a few weeks?) or worse, had been at an event whee I'd had a game with a stranger.  The counter would have been gone.

So what do you guys do?  I think that there might always be the potential problem of this happening.  I've already sleeved my cards so that they're more easily identifiable as mine (as well as the extra protection factor).  Interested to hear your thoughts.

Cheers for now.

Dave I

CobaltGray

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Whose Tokens?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 05:22:07 AM »
Its a problem ! Do you use theirs and make sure you only leave with your own spell book? Or do you use your own and risk the dreaded 'beer-spill-over-the-tabletop'.

Of course you could try playing with folks without the 'kleptomaniac' trait (bad Joe). Bit difficult at our club YoungDave !

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 10:09:54 AM »
I always try to use only my stuff excluding books. That way almost no chance, of getting it mixed up and / or walking off. Since all dice and marker are it 1 sorting tray.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

YoungDave

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 04:13:53 AM »
ShadOw,  thanks for that.

It hadn't entered my mind to get a small "bits box" to put all the counters in - I've got mine in poly bags, so the counters end up in heaps round the sides of the board.  Yes, get a box to keep them all in.  Genius!

And as for you SciCobalt - you know Joe reads these posts - stop stirring it or I'll tell everyone how your son (very young son) keeps battering you at the game.  Oops - I just did!

See you tonight. 

Dave

CobaltGray

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 05:08:22 AM »
Yea I like the idea of a bits box as well! Cant believe I never thought of that. Thanks Shad0w!

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 02:57:22 PM »
This is one of the trays I use.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2014, 03:09:01 PM »
This is one of the trays I use.

Thinking about upgrading to this

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2014, 04:12:14 PM »
I have been thinking about one of these.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2014, 05:26:22 PM »

I do like the style of that 1 sike

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2014, 06:38:47 PM »

I do like the style of that 1 sike
Some of the model stack and can clip together and have a four wheel dolly....for the truly hardcore of course....
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

aquestrion

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2014, 02:51:23 PM »
Use a colored marker to color around the rim of the token so you know which ones are yours without ruining the tokens

NerdGuy

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2014, 06:32:56 PM »
In a tournament setting, I expect my opponent to bring all the tokens they need, and I do likewise and there's no need to share (though my token container is starting to get a little full).  In a less formal game night, I and others left their tokens with their board as players moved around the room for several matches.  I admit this method takes a bit of trust but I got everything back ok.  Of course, this was also a while back before there were so many mages; now there's no guarantee everyone has the required tokens for every mage (unless they're an addict like me)