May 02, 2024, 12:32:15 AM

Author Topic: Future of magewars  (Read 6396 times)

yfkes

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Future of magewars
« on: April 18, 2013, 10:48:38 AM »
How do you guys see the future of magewars? This game has serious potential but it seems to lack a larger community and some support if you compare it to games like android netrunner etc.

For instance an online deckbuilder, which is imho essential for a deckbuilding game. Gamecarddb is a nice platform for games like this, but there are almost no topics in the mw forum, the expansion isnt added to their database, the deckbuilder has been in betaphase for ages, ...
Video's about played matches and tournament play are hard to find.

Hope this game really takes of because its a fantastic!

DarthDadaD20

• Dark Father of Random Occurrence/TeamRocket Grunt
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
Re: Future of magewars
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 11:12:44 AM »
:cheer:  :cheer: Welcome to the Forums yfkes! :cheer:

Well, it is a brand new game with a brand new company....the rate of growth is actually outstanding!

As for netrunner, FFG has an already established company, with a established game, (LCG) not to mention that Netrunner has a old following as well.

If you compare AW to any other New gaming company....they are doing quite well.

But yes, more community support will go a long way.
Where does my greatest enemy lie?
It has been around since the dawn of time,
it follows your loved ones as well as mine,
takes the form of a mountain as well as a flower,
it cannot be outrun by the greatest of power.
Where does my greatest enemy lie?
Within Shad0w.

reddawn

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 11:42:16 AM »
I do think having an updated online database is absolutely needed.  PDFs of the rules and core spell tomes are great, but we do need a place to just look up cards efficiently and easily.  Obviously this takes probably a ton of work, but it's essential to the game's growth, especially in generating online interest.
  • Favourite Mage: Arraxian Crown Warlock

Lightseed

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 03:17:41 PM »
I would give anything to see  more gameplay videos online. So far the best is from crits happen.

But i would love to see Arcane Wonders make some real gameplay videos that dont stop random in the game.

This way showing the beauty of the game and the fun you get out of it,

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 03:26:24 PM »
Well, my last game took about 96 minutes. This length is sometimes bigger than standard movie :)

Iam not a Netrunner player, does netrunner have its own online databese or builder? :) i am really interested how does it look like :)
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

yfkes

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 02:14:49 AM »
You can check that at http://www.cardgamedb.com/
It has a database and deckbuilder for a number of games.

They have a Magewars section, but its been idle for months now.

reddawn

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 04:03:55 PM »
Unfortunately I don't have the equipment to stream videos of my games, otherwise I would.  I play very competitively with my brother, so it would probably give some good hands-on insights for players.

reddawn

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2013, 11:52:40 PM »
On another note, I do have some concerns for the AW team:  

1. I really think the game would be better served if you guys provided a cheaper starter product, like "Duel" packs with the Warlock vs Beastmaster and one with Priestess vs Wizard.  Currently, MW requires a near miniatures-level monetary commitment, and I'm worried that by not providing a cheaper, leaner product, you're setting the barrier to entry too high for card-gamers who are not used to that kind of product model.  To clarify, I'm hardly well-versed in the logistics of what it takes to successfully market a product (I'm a writing major), but while I can easily convince players of MW's merits, the price is literally a harder sell.  This is becoming a problem with my college gaming community, who I know would love the game if there was only less costly entry fee.  

2. The demo model of exposing the game also reinforces assumptions that MW is a "flash in the pan" kind of game, if unintentionally.  Obviously, players like myself know MW to be a deep and rewarding game, but the combination of my above statement and the fact that demos aren't exactly a weekly affair at most LGS doesn't allow MW the kind of regular exposure it needs and deserves.  While I understand that demos drum up hype, I'm worried that it doesn't have a more grassroots system of OP in place to support that well-deserved hype.

3.  Casual organized play appears to depend too heavily on the actual interest store employees have in the game (i.e., event organizers).  I'm honestly skeptical that MW is at a point of exposure wherein most LGS are willing to set aside a night just for MW.  And what exactly is the method of participation at these events?  Do you expect the retailer to provide boards, tokens, dice, etc for its players?  If not, does that mean that the players brings their entire box of product to the event?  And given that OP is currently only in "casual" form, what is your method of introducing newcomers during these events?  I'm not a retailer or distributor, so maybe there a cog in the works that isn't obvious to me, but I don't really get exactly how these events function properly.

4.  I do not know AW's plans for competitive play, but I honestly do not think that the end goal of a match should be killing the opposing mage in this setting, as it is simply too time-consuming to go through that process every game and expect rounds to take under 90 minutes, assuming players of roughly equal skill.  The OP implies a system of "calling time" in which a judge would end the match after a certain amount of time and the winner would be the mage with "the least amount of damage."  Is this what we should expect in competitive play?

As a note, it is not my intention to somehow patronize AW with all these questions.  However, these four points are areas of concern for me in terms of sustaining the game's longevity and perhaps if we as the more enthusiastic players were provided with a clearer picture of what AW has in store, we would be able to better help spread the word about this awesome game.

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2013, 01:09:51 AM »
It took me a number of games, but I've gotten to the point where I can easily get a game in against an experienced player in under 90 minutes. It really does speed up dramatically with experience. I've gotten in 3 games in around 3 hours a few times. I had one game this week that took probably 20 to 30 minutes. I don't think 75-90 minute rounds are at all unreasonable for experienced players.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

Tacullu64

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2013, 02:26:44 AM »
All of your points have merit, however I'm not sure how feasible #1 is. The first expansion is basically what you're describing with different mages and it cost $40. It also didn't include a full set of tokens, markers, status boards, or an arena.

About the only way to get the cost down would be to sell a single mage with minimal options for customization, a status board, enough tokens and markers for one, and a folded paper Arena. I almost forgot a spellbook. What was the price point you were thinking of?

I would say that MW doesn't come close to the financial commitment of a miniatures game. I have 3 nice sized warmahorde armies that are still a far cry from complete and they cost me over $1000 easily.  Even if your talking Dungeon Command I would say you need 4 faction boxes to come close to the replay value found in the core set and that would cost $160, a hundred dollars more.

I like your idea for a lower cost entry point I just don't see how at the moment.

isel

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2013, 04:15:07 AM »
i´m a spanish player, and i like this game very much, i can´t wait to see more spells!!, but in my country we have a great problem, because MW it´s in English and if you like play it you must spend too money to buy all, and for many players a English game it´s not very pleasant.

CanadaAndy

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2013, 11:56:39 AM »
Quote from: "reddawn" post=11415

1. I really think the game would be better served if you guys provided a cheaper starter product, like "Duel" packs with the Warlock vs Beastmaster and one with Priestess vs Wizard.  Currently, MW requires a near miniatures-level monetary commitment, and I'm worried that by not providing a cheaper, leaner product, you're setting the barrier to entry too high for card-gamers who are not used to that kind of product model.  To clarify, I'm hardly well-versed in the logistics of what it takes to successfully market a product (I'm a writing major), but while I can easily convince players of MW's merits, the price is literally a harder sell.  This is becoming a problem with my college gaming community, who I know would love the game if there was only less costly entry fee.

I like this idea of a cheaper entry product. First off, let me be clear. I am more of a board gamer and so I find that the Core Set box is very reasonable for what I am used to: the components are gorgeous, it is a complete and playable game, etc. However, I have also played CCG games, and I feel that if you are trying to attract someone with a CCG background (like Magic players), I believe that it would really help to have a super cheap starting point. What if MW offered starter spellbook kits for each of the 4 core mages? Kind of in the same spirit as MTG starter decks. They would come with the following:

1. A single spellbook with the Spell cards for that mage's starter deck (something like what is written in the core rulebook). This would have to include the Mage card and the Mage Ability card. That's roughly 60 or so cards... don't worry about extras or deck customization (see more later)
2. A folded paper arena
3. A folded paper status board
4. A collection of cardboard counters (or possibly even paper counters if price is an issue) for: status cubes, QuickCast markers, activation tokens, initative token, condition tokens, guard markers, wounds, and mana (only the ones needed by the mage's spells), etc.
5. 5 attack dice and 1 effect die
6. A rulebook

If this could be priced somewhere in the $20 range, would that open up a whole new market of players? Would more casual, "let me just try it out" guys buy these starter kits? Perhaps, you could run intro events where players buy a starter kit at the door.

I also like the appeal that players can now expand and upgrade their initial purchase.
1. Want fancier components (arena board, tokens, etc.)? Buy the "deluxe" Core Set.
2. Want to expand your mage's spell repertoire? Buy one of the Core Spell Tomes
3. Want to try out new mages? Buy another starter kit, or buy the Forcemaster vs. Warlord expansion

I would also love to get more players into this game!

reddawn

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2013, 02:47:11 PM »
Quote from: "CanadaAndy" post=11566
Quote from: "reddawn" post=11415

I like this idea of a cheaper entry product. First off, let me be clear. I am more of a board gamer and so I find that the Core Set box is very reasonable for what I am used to: the components are gorgeous, it is a complete and playable game, etc. However, I have also played CCG games, and I feel that if you are trying to attract someone with a CCG background (like Magic players), I believe that it would really help to have a super cheap starting point. What if MW offered starter spellbook kits for each of the 4 core mages? Kind of in the same spirit as MTG starter decks. They would come with the following:

1. A single spellbook with the Spell cards for that mage's starter deck (something like what is written in the core rulebook). This would have to include the Mage card and the Mage Ability card. That's roughly 60 or so cards... don't worry about extras or deck customization (see more later)
2. A folded paper arena
3. A folded paper status board
4. A collection of cardboard counters (or possibly even paper counters if price is an issue) for: status cubes, QuickCast markers, activation tokens, initative token, condition tokens, guard markers, wounds, and mana (only the ones needed by the mage's spells), etc.
5. 5 attack dice and 1 effect die
6. A rulebook

If this could be priced somewhere in the $20 range, would that open up a whole new market of players? Would more casual, "let me just try it out" guys buy these starter kits? Perhaps, you could run intro events where players buy a starter kit at the door.

Yes, pretty much this exactly.  That kind of smaller product would allow stores or even gaming groups to much more easily run their own intro events as a way to welcome new players at a low cost.  Players could purchase a mage that fit their playstyle, quickly assemble their spellbook, and start playing.  AW could structure the starter packs so that buying all 4 would be pretty much directly equivalent to buying the core product.  

I don't see why the core game couldn't exist alongside these smaller products, either.  It could still be there as a way for players who really enjoy their first mage experience to dive right in if they want.