May 03, 2024, 02:45:42 AM

Author Topic: My first Druid book  (Read 8092 times)

Cancuino

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
My first Druid book
« on: April 09, 2014, 07:41:17 AM »
Hi, I've just made a Druid book and wanted to share it with you looking for advice.

Thank you.

[spellbook]
[spellbookheader]
[spellbookname]Druida[/spellbookname]
[mage]Druid[/mage]
[/spellbookheader]
[spells]
[spellclass]Attack[/spellclass]
[mwcard=FWA02]1 x  Force Hammer[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWA04]1 x  Hurl Boulder[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Conjuration[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1j22]5 x  Tanglevine[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1j13]3 x  Mana Flower[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1j15]1 x  Mohktari, Great Tree of Life[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNJ12]1 x  Vine Tree[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1j08]1 x  Hand of Bim-Shalla[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Creature[/spellclass]
[mwcard=DNC20]4 x  Vine Snapper[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNC10]3 x  Raptor Vine[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNC06]1 x  Kralathor, The Devourer[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1c34]2 x  Steelclaw Grizzly[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1c36]1 x  Tarok, the Skyhunter[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Enchantment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1e02]3 x  Block[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e29]2 x  Nullify[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e24]1 x  Magebane[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e19]1 x  Ghoul Rot[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNE01]1 x  Barkskin[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e01]1 x  Bear Strength[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e21]2 x  Hawkeye[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e32]2 x  Regrowth[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e36]2 x  Rhino Hide[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e06]1 x  Circle of Lightning[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e23]1 x  Jinx[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Equipment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1q23]1 x  Regrowth Belt[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKQ06]1 x  Eagleclaw Boots[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNQ06]1 x  Mohktari's Branch[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q07]1 x  Elemental Cloak[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q15]1 x  Leather Boots[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q16]1 x  Leather Gloves[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q19]1 x  Mage Wand[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNQ07]1 x  Veteran's Belt[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKQ02]1 x  Hunting Bow[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Incantation[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1i23]1 x  Rouse the Beast[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNI02]3 x  Burst of Thorns[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i06]3 x  Dispel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i24]2 x  Seeking Dispel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i07]4 x  Dissolve[/mwcard]
[/spells]
[cost]Total cost: 120 pts[/cost]
[/spellbook]

LEErrr

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: My first Druid book
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 08:39:43 PM »
Force Push&Teleport is useful.opponent' teleport( only cost 3 mana)may destory your tanglevine( that cost 5 mana).... so.... teleport is more powerful than the other limitation of action's spell.
it seems that you dont have the spell above :-\ :-\ :-\
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 08:46:07 AM by LEErrr »

Arlemus

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 03:24:07 PM »
Replace the mage with Johktari Beastmaster and I think you'd be on the right path.
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer

Lord0fWinter

• Warden of the North
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
  • www.magewars.weebly.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 04:27:38 PM »
Replace the mage with Johktari Beastmaster and I think you'd be on the right path.

I wouldn't recommend doing that.

What type of strategy are you going for with the Druid?

Also, I notice you don't have any teleports. You're probably gonna want a few.
Visit my Mage Wars blog at www.magewars.weebly.com, also check me out on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/MageWarsBlog and on twitter at @MageWarsBlog

Arlemus

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 07:32:48 PM »

I wouldn't recommend doing that.

What type of strategy are you going for with the Druid?

Also, I notice you don't have any teleports. You're probably gonna want a few.

If he's going to focus on ranged aggro (which the book clearly indicates between the excess of stranglevine, offensive creatures, and bow + hawkeye), he's better of playing a mage that naturally rolls more ranged dice and has a more offensive ability (wounded prey).

Direct recommendations help more though, so here:

-Drop the bow, hawkeyes, and 2-3 stranglevines.  Replace with the Vinewhip staff.  Instead of having to recast tanglevine 5 times you can just pay 4 to give things (the other mage) stuck, which really accomplishes the same thing.

-You don't need so much regenerate, especially considering that 3/5 types of creatures you run already have it.  The belt is pretty much useless for the druid since she already has barkskin and regen doesn't stack.

-Drop the leather equips.  They basically aren't worth casting unless you get them off a battleforge, and now that acid ball is out you DEFINITELY don't want to be spending quick actions casting them.

-You probably don't need 3 blocks, and you should trade out magebane and replace it with marked for death, it would fit better I think

-You might want to reconsider veteran's belt.  You have so much armor in the book as is that even if crits get through it's not going to be much, and you can likely regen whatever gets through off between barkskin and soulbond.

-You probably don't need 4 dissolves, unless your meta is really whacky.  In that case acid ball solves most excess equipments people drop anyway

-You should drop the grizzly's.  They cost more than double a raptor vine (with leaf ring) and they have the same quick attack amount of dice.  Grizzly's are solid creatures obviously, but you'll likely struggle to find the mana for 1 grizzly when you could have 2 raptor vines for less.

-Rouse the beast is amazing for Druid, especially if you're going to go aggro-ish (like it seems you want to).  I'd add 2 more.  You're paying 2-3 mana for a 5 dice attack.  Very strong.

-Less Vine Snappers.  This book seems very much on the offensive side, and Snappers are definitely a defensive creature (see- Rooted).

-You probably don't need 3 mana flowers, maybe just 1, 2 max.

Hope that helps more.

Lord0fWinter

• Warden of the North
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
  • www.magewars.weebly.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 07:48:16 PM »
If he's going to focus on ranged aggro (which the book clearly indicates between the excess of stranglevine, offensive creatures, and bow + hawkeye), he's better of playing a mage that naturally rolls more ranged dice and has a more offensive ability (wounded prey).

Direct recommendations help more though, so here:

-Drop the bow, hawkeyes, and 2-3 stranglevines.  Replace with the Vinewhip staff.  Instead of having to recast tanglevine 5 times you can just pay 4 to give things (the other mage) stuck, which really accomplishes the same thing.

-You don't need so much regenerate, especially considering that 3/5 types of creatures you run already have it.  The belt is pretty much useless for the druid since she already has barkskin and regen doesn't stack.

-Drop the leather equips.  They basically aren't worth casting unless you get them off a battleforge, and now that acid ball is out you DEFINITELY don't want to be spending quick actions casting them.

-You probably don't need 3 blocks, and you should trade out magebane and replace it with marked for death, it would fit better I think

-You might want to reconsider veteran's belt.  You have so much armor in the book as is that even if crits get through it's not going to be much, and you can likely regen whatever gets through off between barkskin and soulbond.

-You probably don't need 4 dissolves, unless your meta is really whacky.  In that case acid ball solves most excess equipments people drop anyway

-You should drop the grizzly's.  They cost more than double a raptor vine (with leaf ring) and they have the same quick attack amount of dice.  Grizzly's are solid creatures obviously, but you'll likely struggle to find the mana for 1 grizzly when you could have 2 raptor vines for less.

-Rouse the beast is amazing for Druid, especially if you're going to go aggro-ish (like it seems you want to).  I'd add 2 more.  You're paying 2-3 mana for a 5 dice attack.  Very strong.

-Less Vine Snappers.  This book seems very much on the offensive side, and Snappers are definitely a defensive creature (see- Rooted).

-You probably don't need 3 mana flowers, maybe just 1, 2 max.

Hope that helps more.

1) If the book is going to switch to JBM he'll have alot more reworking to do.

2) JBM is a bit worse than the Druid. Alot worse actually, IMO. There are a few reasons for this.
A: Wounded prey gives melee +1. Not ranged. Melee. It doesn't synergize with what she's gonna try to do, which is sit back and shoot arrows and attack spells.
B: Wounded prey also only gives its bonus to animal creatures. So, if switching to JBM, the Vine Snappers, Raptor Vines and Kralathor are less useful. But if it's the Druid, the vine ability to spring these creatures up anywhere there is a vine marker is VERY useful.
C: Her archery skill is only for non-spell attacks. So only bows. This is bad because all of the attacks with bows are currently full actions. This means that she cannot move and shoot, which is where she would shine. This makes her inherent fast trait less useful.

I agree with most everything else you said though. Get rid of the bow, hawkeye, add vinewhip staff.

Maybe get rid of one Grizzly, but they're without a doubt one of the best creatures in the game, so perhaps keep both. Up to you. If you drop them, you don't need to much regen. If you keep them, keep the regen to extend their lifespan.

I would definitely keep Veteran's belt though. It's a great card.
Visit my Mage Wars blog at www.magewars.weebly.com, also check me out on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/MageWarsBlog and on twitter at @MageWarsBlog

Arlemus

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 08:41:13 PM »

1) If the book is going to switch to JBM he'll have alot more reworking to do.

2) JBM is a bit worse than the Druid. Alot worse actually, IMO. There are a few reasons for this.
A: Wounded prey gives melee +1. Not ranged. Melee. It doesn't synergize with what she's gonna try to do, which is sit back and shoot arrows and attack spells.
B: Wounded prey also only gives its bonus to animal creatures. So, if switching to JBM, the Vine Snappers, Raptor Vines and Kralathor are less useful. But if it's the Druid, the vine ability to spring these creatures up anywhere there is a vine marker is VERY useful.
C: Her archery skill is only for non-spell attacks. So only bows. This is bad because all of the attacks with bows are currently full actions. This means that she cannot move and shoot, which is where she would shine. This makes her inherent fast trait less useful.

I agree with most everything else you said though. Get rid of the bow, hawkeye, add vinewhip staff.

Maybe get rid of one Grizzly, but they're without a doubt one of the best creatures in the game, so perhaps keep both. Up to you. If you drop them, you don't need to much regen. If you keep them, keep the regen to extend their lifespan.

I would definitely keep Veteran's belt though. It's a great card.

Well yeah, he would obviously have to change his book a lot for JBM (especially creature-wise) but honestly there's a lot that needs changing anyway.

Wounded prey is extremely strong though, especially when you combo it with ranged attacked and her amazing dire wolves.  Yes she doesn't roll more ranged dice, but if she sprints into position with her bow then opens up on the target with 5 dice ranged attack, her dire wolves will tear it to shreds all the free melee +1's and bloodthirsty.  If the target isn't a mage those dire wolves are rolling 6 dice with a 50% chance for a bleed, and then if she's positioning correctly she's rolling 5 dice, 1 pierce, and 50% chance for a bleed...!  The potential for damage is staggering, and honestly if you could place her wounded prey on the mage or move and shoot that would be most definitely overpowered. 

But I mean, if you don't like her that's fine, I just think she's impressive  :P

And yeah, the Druid is obviously strong, inherently combo-y, and unique, but I think every mage (especially after DvN) has their strengths.

Mortuss

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 08:37:44 AM »
My thoughts from my limited experience with druid :
Don't drop tanglevines, they can be cast by the tree, that is what makes them awesome for Druid. And if your opponent is teleporting out of them, great, they have only 4 of them and they are spending more spell points then you.
Keep the bears, definitely at least one, you need some non plants when you meet fire wizard or warlock (and there will be lots of fiery stuff in the near future  ;) )
I don't think you need Great Tree of Life, most of your creatures have regeneration anyway and event though it will improve it from 1 to 2, it is not worth the cost. If it is there for bears, you could probably use regrowth instead (which you are playing anyway).
Drop some snappers and add more raptor vines. I have only found snappers useful for defending tree, and even then i would prefer more raptor vines. If you are casting all of your raptors most of your games, keep some snappers, otherwise I would drop them all.
You probably don't need so many blocks, but it depends on your meta.
As Arlemus said, leather boots and gloves only shine with battleforge, so either drop them or add the forge.

How often do you find yourself using the bow? It doesn't really work well with plants,  if you are going aggro, there are better ways to get extra attack die (i would even suggest mage staff, just because it is cheaper) and if you want to go the long way, i would rather meditate with my extra actions. But I don't know what your overall plan is.

What to do with the points? Teleports. They are really good in almost any situation. Surging wave and acid ball are great lvl 1 water spells with a lot of utility. Marked for death is probably the best curse if you have creatures out.
I personally also play enchanters ring and more bear strengths and rhino hides for all my raptors to make them really scary, but it also hurts much more when they die to a fireball or something, don't know if it is a really good strategy...

Cancuino

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2014, 08:29:37 AM »
Thank you all for your comments, I've made some changes to the book and I think it's quite better now, here it is:
[spellbook]
[spellbookheader]
[spellbookname][/spellbookname]
[mage]Druid[/mage]
[/spellbookheader]
[spells]
[spellclass]Attack[/spellclass]
[mwcard=FWA02]1 x  Force Hammer[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWA04]1 x  Hurl Boulder[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNA01]3 x  Acid Ball[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Conjuration[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1j22]2 x  Tanglevine[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1j13]2 x  Mana Flower[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNJ12]1 x  Vine Tree[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1j08]1 x  Hand of Bim-Shalla[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Creature[/spellclass]
[mwcard=DNC20]3 x  Vine Snapper[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNC10]3 x  Raptor Vine[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNC06]1 x  Kralathor, The Devourer[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1c34]1 x  Steelclaw Grizzly[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1c36]1 x  Tarok, the Skyhunter[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Enchantment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1e02]2 x  Block[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e29]2 x  Nullify[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e24]1 x  Magebane[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e19]1 x  Ghoul Rot[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNE01]1 x  Barkskin[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e01]2 x  Bear Strength[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e32]2 x  Regrowth[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e36]2 x  Rhino Hide[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e06]1 x  Circle of Lightning[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e23]1 x  Jinx[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e27]1 x  Marked for Death[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Equipment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1q23]1 x  Regrowth Belt[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKQ06]1 x  Eagleclaw Boots[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNQ06]1 x  Mohktari's Branch[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q07]1 x  Elemental Cloak[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q19]1 x  Mage Wand[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNQ07]1 x  Veteran's Belt[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNQ08]1 x  Vinewhip Staff[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Incantation[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1i23]3 x  Rouse the Beast[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNI02]3 x  Burst of Thorns[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i06]3 x  Dispel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i24]2 x  Seeking Dispel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i07]3 x  Dissolve[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i28]2 x  Teleport[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i12]2 x  Force Push[/mwcard]
[/spells]
[cost]Total cost: 120 pts[/cost]
[/spellbook]

I have a doubt on Tanglevine / Vinewhip Staff. Tanglevine costs 5 mana and Vinewhip's quick action costs 4 (plus 7 mana to cast), regarding mana, I think that Tanglevine is more cost effective, but the Staff is Teleport inmune right?.

Looking forward for your comments.