May 23, 2024, 11:38:32 PM

Author Topic: Helm of Fear VS Akiro's Favor  (Read 2415 times)

Santar

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Helm of Fear VS Akiro's Favor
« on: March 28, 2017, 06:20:39 PM »
Hi Mages!
New question: if creature rall 9+ for check Helm of Fear, can I use my Akiro's Favor to re-roll it?
I think that I can not, because it is not roll to hit check.

And one more question: can I reveal Akiro's Favor after my check for daze (if I roll 1-6) to re-roll it? Or After dice roll step?

« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 06:30:20 PM by Santar »

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
Re: Helm of Fear VS Akiro's Favor
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 06:27:36 PM »
Hi Mages!
Hew question: if creature rall 9+ for check Helm of Fear, can I use my Akiro's Favor to re-roll it?
I think that I can not, because it is not roll to him check.

And one more question: can I reveal Akiro's Favor after my check for daze (if I roll 1-6) to re-roll it? Or After dice roll step?

It's very vague what other situations Akiros can be used for in terms of the 'to hit'.
I believe it can be used for the daze check and to help against the effect of blind.

Akiros must be revealed before the daze check is made if you wish to be able to reroll for the daze check.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 07:28:51 PM »
The roll to hit part of Akiro's Favor may be a bit vague, but I would interpret it as dealing with any effect that occurs in the Roll to Miss step. Because rolling to miss and rolling to hit are essentially the same thing. Helm of Fear is not one of these effects. With Helm of Fear, you're not rolling to see if you can hit the target, but rather whether or not you can even attack the target due to how intimidating they are. You definitely can not use Akiro's Favor on the Helm of Fear canceling your attack.

I do not have an answer regarding revealing Akiro's Favor after the Roll to Miss step to reroll a failed Daze. My instinct is no, but that's the exact same instinct that told me you couldn't reveal after the Roll Dice step to reroll the attack dice. Arcane Wonders has already ruled against that instinct once.

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 05:01:49 AM »
Definitely No for the Helm.

My instinct is yes for the Daze, for precisely the reasons Zuberi lists, but it does need an official ruling.

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 05:47:14 AM »
It will not work for the daze.... if its not revealed then the attack fails right there and then. proceed to the Additional strike step. There is no window to reveal and attempt a success on the first failed daze attack.

Its different from the roll dice step because its separated from damage and effects step.
But the roll to miss step does not work like that.... its one single step where its checked (roll dice) for and the result is immediately applied and taken into account on how the sequence is to be continued based on the result.

If damage was applied in the roll dice step, then it would NOT be possible to reveal akiro and re-roll  (Due to rule of when enchantments can be revealed - Between steps)

The confusion comes from the assumption that 're-rolling dice' must take place 'in the roll dice step'.
But dice are rolled and re-rolled several in several scenarios that has nothing to do with 'roll dice step' in the attack sequence.