May 04, 2024, 02:37:49 AM

Author Topic: Sosruko's Taunt Effect vs Skeelax  (Read 8082 times)

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
Sosruko's Taunt Effect vs Skeelax
« on: October 16, 2015, 02:53:05 PM »
In the codex of Domination skeelax's Taunt says it cannot affect mages and its a psychic condition (no effect on undead)- nothing so far pointed in the direction of Sosruko not being able to taunt mages or psychich immune creatures.
However, the wording in both respective codex for these 2 creatures they are not mentioned as '<creature>'s taunt' but instead just as 'taunt' which leads me to believe that these 2 effects will be ruled the same.

So... can i expect Sosruko's Taunt to be nerfed, or can make my BM book with this creature.

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Re: Sosruko's Taunt Effect vs Skeelax
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2015, 03:08:19 PM »
Right now they are separate but similar effects. So no Sosruko's taunt would not be psychic currently. I will be bringing this to Bryan as well, but currently no they are not the same thing.

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2015, 03:13:10 PM »
Then i assume that mages are not immune to Sosruko taunt either.

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2015, 03:15:58 PM »
And while we are at it, how do you handle battlefury and Sosruko putting a taunt on 2 different creatures?

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2015, 01:14:41 PM »

Correct. Currently there are no rules preventing this.

And while we are at it, how do you handle battlefury and Sosruko putting a taunt on 2 different creatures?

Sosruko is certainly capable of taunting multiple creatures, but you may have to use another token to mark this occurrence if you only have one core set. You could even use [mwcard=FWI10]Whirling Strike[/mwcard] on him and potentially taunt three different creatures. Each creature taunted would be affected as normal for his taunt.

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2015, 02:12:49 PM »
I need to try him together with academy cards :)
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

Borg

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2015, 02:57:33 PM »
And I need to try him in my Cervere book :)

Jinx + Taunt seems like a lethal combination if you can pull it off a couple of times.

Makes me remember a post from Kharhaz saying Hanma suggested Sosruko to him to play in combination with Jinx.

And to think this combination has been out since the base set ( 3+ years ago ) ... makes me wonder if there might be other power combinations who are still "undiscovered" after all that time... maybe people should put the wizard aside for some time and invest some more time in developing strategies for the other Mages. Who knows what might still show up.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 03:32:35 PM by Borg »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Borg

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2015, 03:02:53 PM »

There's even an example of that in the codex p12

Example: A Wizard is in the same zone as an enemy Sosruko which has Taunted him. When the Wizard activates, he chooses to use his Quickcast action immediately before his activation to cast a Teleport spell to teleport the Wizard out of Sosruko's zone. Then, when the Wizard is choosing his normal action, he is no longer in Sosruko's zone so he is not bound by the Taunt effect.
End Quote

This seems to indicate it works as planned and no nerf is underway ;)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 03:06:47 PM by Borg »

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2015, 03:12:33 PM »
very nice find Borg!!!

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2015, 05:31:29 PM »
The real trick is to also put Akiro's favor on Sosruko too. It's a lot of work, though, so it's probably more amusing than it is deadly.
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

Borg

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2015, 05:47:45 PM »
The real trick is to also put Akiro's favor on Sosruko too. It's a lot of work, though, so it's probably more amusing than it is deadly.

Sure, AF would up the chance to taunt from 50% to 75% but may take a little too much work and mana ...
but consider casting Sosruko in strike range and then Rouse it ... that ups your chances from 0% to 50% and could be a real nasty surprise, then follow up a successful Taunt with a Jinx ... I figure If you manage to do that two turns in a row you may have gotten yourself a decisive edge.

And if you have another creature guarding for him you don't have to count on his defense holding up in melee either.

I'm looking forward to using this :)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 05:53:07 PM by Borg »

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2015, 07:25:42 PM »
You'll only be able to use the taunt twice in a row 1/4 of the time.
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2015, 07:42:01 PM »
And I am going to pop out my [mwcard=MWSTX2FFQ06]Morning Star[/mwcard] and will taunt [mwcard=MW1C33]Sosruko's[/mwcard] broken and bloody carcass as it is laying there lifelessly on the floor of the arena, just ask Sailor Vulcan....
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2015, 10:14:17 PM »
Quote from: Borg
And if you have another creature guarding for him you don't have to count on his defense holding up in melee either.

If you have a guard in the zone with your Sosruko, then Sosruko is not a legal target for a melee attack and the taunt will have no effect. Mandatory actions are only mandatory if they are legal.

Quote from: sIKE
And I am going to pop out my Morning Star and will taunt Sosruko's broken and bloody carcass as it is laying there lifelessly on the floor of the arena, just ask Sailor Vulcan....

Indeed. Sosruko suffers the same fate as all other evasive creatures in that they are very easy to squish with unavoidable attacks.

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2015, 02:11:49 AM »
Thank you very much,

And I am going to pop out my [mwcard=MWSTX2FFQ06]Morning Star[/mwcard] and will taunt [mwcard=MW1C33]Sosruko's[/mwcard] broken and bloody carcass as it is laying there lifelessly on the floor of the arena, just ask Sailor Vulcan....

i wasted all the laughter i had allocated for sunday. Now i have only "neutral face", "crying" and "maniacal laughter" at disposal and that i am saving for christmass :)
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )