May 03, 2024, 07:23:39 AM

Author Topic: trample  (Read 2513 times)

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
trample
« on: October 14, 2017, 12:30:30 AM »
this non-melee attack is strange...

trample + flying
I read below that a flying can trample a non-flying creature without loosing flying, but that it was not what was ment... is there an official errata in sight?

trample + elusive
trample must attack the guard, and elusive can ignore the guard for melee attacks... is it right that an elusive must trample the guard?
was that ment?

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
Re: trample
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2017, 01:44:44 AM »
The issue is that Trample was designed to be a melee attack, but was determined to be overpowered when allowed to utilize all the different effects that interact with melee attacks. So, it was made into it's own category, but that meant it no longer had a complete framework to function off of. You are right that a lot of things, like flying and elusive, do not apply to trample if you go by the rules as written, simply because they don't make any mention of trample at all. But they definitely weren't intended to work that way.

In general, I'd say to treat it like a melee attack when it is detrimental to the Trampler, and not like a melee attack if it'd be beneficial. That probably isn't going to give you the intended result 100% of the time, but breaking it down on a case by case basis is a task that I'm not up to. Not as in that I'm unwilling to, but that I'm positive I'd get it wrong. It's just too big. Nobody would be able to tell you with certainty how to do Trample right in every situation until it gets errata'd.

But since the whole reason it is not considered a melee attack is to nerf it and keep it from being too powerful, I think that treating it always like a detriment and never like a benefit will have you handling it properly more often than not.

So....by that rule of thumb: You do have to lose flying when trampling, because that subjects you to dangers like counterstrikes. You can not ignore guards while trampling, because elusive applies to nimble melee attacks and not brute force charges.

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2017, 02:04:28 AM »
Thank you! I think I will play your detriment rull.

(it's not good work from AW not to have thought globally the trampple interaction...)

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2017, 07:11:03 AM »
we decided to judge each situation in the idea of "a non-melee contact attack" (not always against the trampler).

for example melee -1 can't influence the trample if +1 doesn't, or non-melee defense, which are ment to avoide range attack, can't avoid trample.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2017, 08:59:58 AM »
I don't understand. Why not just make trample attacks melee attacks but make them an exception to the normal rules about melee attacks? Kind of like how zone attacks are still ranged attacks?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

• Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2017, 09:25:27 AM »
Thanks Zuberi. That was probably the best way to explain the current situation on Trample. I look forward to an errata to it in the future. Also have a sticker!
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest