May 18, 2024, 08:05:44 PM

Author Topic: My first Forcemaster...since 2012  (Read 5439 times)

pete2

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
My first Forcemaster...since 2012
« on: June 16, 2015, 02:38:28 PM »
Well..i've been playing MW since 2012 (not on a regular basis though)...but the FM...never ever tried to play her before...I really don't know, but i didn't feel a connection with this mage..untill now..

This is my first try at a FM build..quite classic i think, but should be good fun in fast aggro play. I haven't tried this build yet so that's why i'm asking you guys to have a look at it and let me know if i haven't included too much unnecessary spells, and enough creatures...

In short i would like to move quickly to opposing mage, cast grizzly, cast a thoughtspore with an attack spell, and then equip myself with galvitar..Vampiric is there to enchant/protect my grizzly. Bim Shalla and bear strength to beef him up (should i include enchanter's ring to get a discount for all those ench's ?). Should i loose the grizzly, and the first thoughtspore, i would repeat with Necro and 2nd thoughtspore ! Maim wings, charm, sleep and force hold are there to catch large flying stuff. Force hammer for annoying conjurations. Firestorm against swarms. I also wonder whether i have enough "upkeep" enchantments to include the psi-orb..maybe not really necessary and could be replaced with more efficient spell..

so here's the list !

[spellbook]
[spellbookheader]
[spellbookname]My Forcemaster V1.0[/spellbookname]
[mage]A Forcemaster Spellbook[/mage]
[mage]built by the OCTGN SBB[/mage]
[/spellbookheader]
[spells]
[spellclass]Attack[/spellclass]
[mwcard=FWA02]2 x Force Hammer[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNA01]1 x Acid Ball[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1A05]1 x Firestorm[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWA05]2 x Invisible Fist[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Conjuration[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MW1J08]1 x Hand of Bim-Shalla[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Creature[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MW1C26]1 x Necropian Vampiress[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1C34]1 x Steelclaw Grizzly[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWC16]2 x Thoughtspore[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Enchantment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE02]1 x Akiro's Favor[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E01]2 x Bear Strength[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E02]2 x Block[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE04]1 x Brace Yourself[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWE01]1 x Charm[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E05]1 x Cheetah Speed[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E16]1 x Force Hold[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E25]1 x Maim Wings[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E28]1 x Mongoose Agility[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E29]1 x Nullify[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E32]1 x Regrowth[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E34]1 x Reverse Attack[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE07]1 x Rust[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E40]1 x Vampirism[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Equipment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MW1Q06]1 x Dragonscale Hauberk[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q08]1 x Elemental Wand[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWQ03]1 x Force Ring[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWQ04]1 x Galvitar, Force Blade[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q16]1 x Leather Gloves[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q19]1 x Mage Wand[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q23]1 x Regrowth Belt[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWQ07]1 x Psi-Orb[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Incantation[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MW1I02]1 x Battle Fury[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFI03]1 x Disarm[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWI11]2 x Dispel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWI16]1 x Dissolve[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWI17]2 x Force Push[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWI04]1 x Force Wave[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWI12]2 x Minor Heal[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I25]1 x Shift Enchantment[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWI09]1 x Steal Equipment[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I28]1 x Teleport[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I26]1 x Sleep[/mwcard]
[/spells]
[cost]Total cost: 120 pts[/cost]
[/spellbook]

oh, and intangible and coshade..keep up the good work at Arcane Duels !!!
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
Re: My first Forcemaster...since 2012
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 03:41:46 PM »
Seems like you're putting a lot of effort into your buddy creature. Do you plan on your mage getting involved in melee combat? If not, perhaps Forcemaster isn't for you. e.g. Beastmaster or Warlock might be better.

If yes, then you'll want a Battleforge. I find since my Forcemaster wants to attack, I tend to have plenty of mana but not enough actions. The Forge will allow you to equip while moving and attacking - or doing other important things like Force Push/Pull, casting Enchantments, etc. Also, Dancing Scimitar is almost as important as Galvitar if you plan on attacking with your mage. I'd drop one of the big creatures and probably Battle Fury for Forge + Scimitar.

Also, I don't think a single Firestorm is sufficient counter for swarms. There are several conjurations that deal nicely with swarms, especially Mordok's Obelisk, Suppression Orb and Idol of Pestilence. But if you don't expect to face swarms, then I guess you don't have to worry too much.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

somaddict

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 07:15:57 PM »
FM = unplayable

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 07:57:52 PM »

FM = unplayable

Why do you say that? While she is limited, there are several viable strategies with her. You can use a buddy creature like guardian angel, steelclaw grizzly or devouring jelly. You can use a battle forge and go solo. You can also summon a thoughtspore and use it for some sort of utility rather than an extra attack.

Furthermore, I came up with a forcemaster that turtles (at least in the early game against aggro opponents), using walls of force and thoughtspores, and it works really well as long as my spores aren't teleported away from me. Astral anchor will help with this. Against turtles it only summons one spore and tries to kill enemy mage as fast as possible.

While the forcemaster is currently very limited in her options, she still has options. I don't see how she's unplayable.
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

jhaelen

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2015, 02:49:50 AM »
FM = unplayable
somaddict = troll  ;)

pete2

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2015, 03:49:48 AM »

If yes, then you'll want a Battleforge. I find since my Forcemaster wants to attack, I tend to have plenty of mana but not enough actions. The Forge will allow you to equip while moving and attacking - or doing other important things like Force Push/Pull, casting Enchantments, etc. Also, Dancing Scimitar is almost as important as Galvitar if you plan on attacking with your mage. I'd drop one of the big creatures and probably Battle Fury for Forge + Scimitar.

The battleforge was indeed something i was hesitating about in the first stages of the build...i will strongly reconsider this - i thought this would decrease the speed of my build up !!! i had dancing simitar in the early build...but i had to make room for other spells and i thought i had enough with galvitar as it has the cantrip trait..

Also, I don't think a single Firestorm is sufficient counter for swarms. There are several conjurations that deal nicely with swarms, especially Mordok's Obelisk, Suppression Orb and Idol of Pestilence. But if you don't expect to face swarms, then I guess you don't have to worry too much.

in case of swarms i thought of binding the firestorm to an elemental wand...but i guess including an obelisk or Orb would be more efficient !

thanks for the help iNano78 !!!!

pete2

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2015, 12:56:12 PM »
ok so here's the revised edition !!!

[spellbook]
[spellbookheader]
[spellbookname]My Forcemaster v2.0[/spellbookname]
[/spellbookheader]
[spells]
[mwcard=FWA02]1 x Force Hammer[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1A02]1 x Chain Lightning[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKA01]1 x Surging Wave[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1J04]1 x Battle Forge[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1J16]1 x Mordok's Obelisk[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E02]1 x Block[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWQ01]1 x Dancing Scimitar[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKQ06]1 x Eagleclaw Boots[/mwcard]
[/spells]
[/spellbook]

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2015, 01:35:16 PM »
Hey pete2!
Just wanted to chip in my 2 cents. This build looks pretty aggressive! Here are a few personal experiences I had with running Thoughtspores. I am wondering if my experiences have come up during your games. We're all here to learn, so let me know your opinions!

I am wondering if Thoughtspore and Grizzly Bear should be 2 different books -
Quick Casting - I noticed you play with both the Thoughtspore and big creatures! This requires a lot of actions to keep everything on track. I notice a lot of times my Thoughtspores gets blown up with a fireball or some attack spell unless I put on Brace Yourself or Block and it can soak up the opponents actions decently well. Are you running out of actions to keep your Thoughtspores alive (at least long enough to get your value back)?
When it comes to Grizzlies, I noticed that I often use my Quick Cast to Force pull (which combos with that ring so well) so I can get maximum damage from the Full Attack on the Grizzly. This uses that Quick cast that is really needed to defend the Thoughtspore.  If you trade the Force Pull you lose the 2 dice from the Grizzly, But your Thoughtspore can get an attack spell off. It costs more mana, but it does let you defend your Thoughtspore and get more attack dice. Ideally if they choose to ignore your Thoughtspore (which most of my games they do not) then you can get the forcepull and the strong Grizzly attack off.

Shift Enchantment - Have you gotten good use out of this card? Enchantment Transfusion is amazing, but I often find this lackluster.

Force Wave - What is your plan with this card? I usually use it for walls and such.

Steal Equipment - I love this card, but with an aggressive deck have you had the mana to cast this? Since you added in a Battle Forge, I'm not sure if this is necessary.

Dispel and Dissolve - Do you run out of these? I usually go 3 minimum of both regardless of my build.

Mage Wand - If you take this, I would suggest taking Battle Fury. I assume you want this to be used in place of taking extra Dispels, Dissolves, and Teleports. Have you had the time to cast this and counter the enemy before they can get value out of their spells?

Mongoose Agility - I don't think you need this. With your aggression you should try and own the field. Mongoose could be good to get the final blow, but so can attack spells.

I think you need another Acid Ball.

Hope this helps!
Thanks for the compliment btw, can't wait to get more videos out!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 02:15:50 PM by Coshade »
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2015, 02:02:13 PM »
That is an interesting dichotomy, Coshade.  Normally I would agree to spend more on protecting your spores, however, I think in your case, pete2, the grizzly is what distracts them from hitting your spores.  If they get too close to your spores they get some grizzly smackdown.  Let me know if that works out for you.  This seems like it could work well in a defensive Forcemaster build.

I would suggest ditching the Psi-orb since the only long term upkeep you have is the scimitar...unless you plan on keeping Force Hold on something long term?  It would make room for a couple Disarms or another Force Hammer.

pete2

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2015, 02:28:18 AM »
Thanks Coshade and Puddnhead,for taking the time to respond an help out !

I'm gonna take all of your precious advice and start rebuilding...hope i can find the time to test this on OCTGN this weekend !

I guess i will be throwing out shift enchantment, steal equipment, mongoose, the orb and force wave...to replace with acid ball, dissolve and dispels/seeking dispel..although i would really like to try out an enchantment transfusion some time..never used this spell before...

i'm gonna hold on to my mage wand to save on copies of teleport like you said.

oh and coshade, i hope you will be making some videos with that new copy of domination you got recently !

I will have to wait until September or October to buy a copy...over here in Europe..

i'll try and report if this build worked out !!!!

Battlehamster

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2015, 12:04:46 PM »
ok so here's the revised edition !!!

[spellbook]
[spellbookheader]
[spellbookname]My Forcemaster v2.0[/spellbookname]
[/spellbookheader]
[spells]
[mwcard=FWA02]1 x Force Hammer[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1A02]1 x Chain Lightning[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKA01]1 x Surging Wave[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1J04]1 x Battle Forge[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1J16]1 x Mordok's Obelisk[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E02]1 x Block[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWQ01]1 x Dancing Scimitar[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKQ06]1 x Eagleclaw Boots[/mwcard]
[/spells]
[/spellbook]

Some thoughts from a long-time Forcemaster:

-Charm loses it's utility quite a bit if you are running a buddy build since they can just attack your creature. When running solo, they can guard. I find Charm's uses rather limited unless I build around it (mongoose and hope it doesn't get dispelled).

-Take either the grizzly or the vampire. I find it is too expensive in spell points to be paying triple for creatures I might only cast one of. I like to use Devouring Ooze as my only buddy because it is resilient plus can heal itself which makes it self-sufficient, also it has corrode which will either add more damage directly on lightly armored targets or reduce the armor of high armor targets allowing my galvitar to double swing away for greater effect. Slow doesn't matter as much with the pull ability of the FM who can guide it or the enemy to it's clutches. Finally it is level 3 so you save 3 points as opposed to a level 4 critter.

-More Force Hammers. I attach to my Thoughtspore and go to town. Or just wait until they are low then finish them off. The range 2 helps in case my opponent wants to run away while low on health, he can't run far enough to escape me.

For me, the FM is the ultimate rush mage. You either win fast/early or you lose if the game gets to medium/late. Everything you do should be in the mind of getting in your opponents face and making them spend their actions REACTING to you. Since most mages run more creatures, they will be steadily building up an action advantage so you need to get them off their game before that advantage becomes too much. Personally, swarms don't bother me too much since they usually utilize a spawn point. If I see my opponent cast Lair, Barracks, Graveyard etc I feel pretty good about my odds since they just expended a mass amount of mana on something that will not protect them in the short term. Use your built in defense and life gain/regen (sunfire amulet or regen belt) to prolong your life and hope to kill them before they can kill you. Usually it works out fairly well.