May 13, 2024, 08:04:24 PM

Author Topic: Temple of Light and other ready markers.  (Read 2696 times)

Rinc

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Temple of Light and other ready markers.
« on: January 30, 2014, 04:31:14 AM »
For me, mind controls wording applied to between actions in the action stage, not during the ready stage. Fortunately or unfortunately this was officially ruled so that you could reveal it even during the ready stage, since it reads "between action phases" and technically, the ready stage is between action phases.

Then all of a sudden this same question came up in my last game but with another card. Can I use Temple of Light during my ready stage? Or at the final quickcast? The wording on the card says "before or after" a friendly creature. Technically, the last QC phase is after a friendly creature of mines action.

I had the standpoint that is was not allowed, but my opponent refused and wanted to use it anyway since the wording is quite clear. I couldn't find anything about when it is allowed to be used either in the rulebook or the faq.

If there exist anything about this somewhere, perhaps someone could point it out for me so I could point him there?

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Re: Temple of Light and other ready markers.
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 08:45:25 AM »
Temple of Light can only be used during the Action Phases part of the Action Stage, and if must be directly before or after one of your creature action phases.

DeckBuilder

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 09:34:42 AM »
For me, mind controls wording applied to between actions in the action stage, not during the ready stage.

The main issue the Mind Control ruling caused was the subsequent abuse it then created
This then needed an errata to make it exception to the rule: Upkeeps are paid in any order
An issue that never existed until the Mind Control ruling; now we are seeing another effect?

In light of that ruling, I can see how every conjuration action marker effect could be interpreted
As long as I had last action last round or will have first action this round, I can trigger the effect
Because "between actions" includes Ready Stage and this is "before or after a friendly action"
(But not always the case: against creature overlap, Ready is not before or after friendly action)

I know exactly the type of player who's a rules lawyer and would argue this way so I have alot of sympathy
And there's absolutely nothing you can do to prove to him his logic may be fine but the rules say differently

However a ruling has been made, then the card was errata'd and now a FAQ clarification may be needed too
Some may think the ruling was opening a can of worms but we have to live with any perceived inconsistency

I feel rules should be treated as Living, evolving, and should be forgiven if it changes its mind, improves.
After all, Magic changed rules quite radically at times (Interrupts -> All on Stack -> Damage not on Stack)

It also seems a shame that some cards have erratas when the meta may have moved beyond needing them
Magic and Game of Thrones approaches its mistakes by adding and removing cards from banned/restricted
Cards that were once too powerful soon became less powerful as the pool evolved so removed from the list

I'm not trying to draw any parallels here... :)
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye. And then it's just fun.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 02:42:30 PM »
I can certainly understand the confusion. I believe that "before or after a friendly creature's action phase" is more specific than "between action phases" but I understand in plain English they mean basically the same. These instructions are not clarified in any of the documents that I'm currently aware of, but the correct interpretation is that the former refers to during your turn in the creature action phase immediately before or after activating a creature, and the latter refers to any time not during a creature action.

You can refer to Laddinfance (he works for Arcane Wonders) up above for an official support of the former and refer here for support of the latter.

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 02:46:25 PM »
Thank you for indexing me, sir.