May 15, 2024, 03:49:53 PM

Author Topic: Drafting Rules  (Read 3713 times)

jcox2820

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Drafting Rules
« on: January 28, 2013, 09:21:14 PM »
Given that this is a LCG, I was a bit surprised that there are no drafting rules in the rulebook. What I mean by "drafting rules," is rules used to determine how two players determine what cards they can use in their spell book when there is not enough cards to go around.

Before my first game my wife and I made our books, and I made mine before she did. She felt slighted that I had both the leather boots and leather gloves, and so I gave one to her. There was also a conflict over a conjuration (don't remember which).

Are there any rules for drafting from the same box?

krj

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Drafting Rules
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 04:43:11 AM »
first solution is to buy core spell tome :)

but if you don't have it, we played that if spell is from someone's mage school of magic he has a priority with choosing it. if it doesn't help i would look for some different cards for my spellbook if i was you :P

Dre2Dee2

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 09:48:11 AM »
I would look at the revised core spell lists for the base set, it has 4 decks you can have concurrently without being short. Should at least solve one of your problems  :cheer:

Locusshifter

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 04:59:58 PM »
Quote from: "Dre2Dee2" post=6842
I would look at the revised core spell lists for the base set, it has 4 decks you can have concurrently without being short. Should at least solve one of your problems  :cheer:

Agreed. This is the simplest and most balanced solution to get started.

jcox2820

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 05:29:35 PM »
A huge part of the draw of this game is making your own decks. All solutions but buying more cards would diminish that to some degree. Most LCGs have some sort of drafting rules, so it just seems weird that this game does not.

Drealin

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 01:39:08 PM »
Just to clarify, this is not an LCG®.  LCG® is specific to Fantasy Flight Games, Mage Wars has a similar distribution, but was not made by Fantasy Flight Games.

residualshade

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 02:14:09 PM »
to be fair LCG is becoming a common term used for a fixed distribution card game. it is not like we have another term to use atm unless someone standardizes one.

jcox2820

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2013, 08:19:03 PM »
Quote from: "residualshade" post=6958
to be fair LCG is becoming a common term used for a fixed distribution card game. it is not like we have another term to use atm unless someone standardizes one.

Precisely. I love this game, but one of the draws was that I could play with two people out of the box and have all the cards I need. Unfortunately this is not the case, at least to a certain extent, because some cards do not have duplicates, or not enough duplicates.

Still, I am eternally grateful to Arcane Wonders.

Snotwalker

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 09:19:09 AM »
I have the base game plus Tomes 1 & 2... so plenty of spells to go around... but even then, you still need to determine how to "share" all of those cards when drafting between 2 players.  Here's what I've come up with that works well.

1)  Player's spell books start with the recommended starting books for all 4 mages to begin with.
2)  Divide up all the remaining spells into their school of magic and card type (creature/conjuration/etc.)
3)  Players automatically get all remaining spells in their school of magic.
4)  Players take turns picking up one of the piles of cards on the table until they've all been chosen.

For example, I'm playing the Wizard, so I start with all the spells in his recommended starting spell book (to provide a good "base variety" for each mage).  Then I also get all the remaining Arcane spells in all the various card types (all arcane creatures, incantations, etc...).  My opponent (Beastmaster) does the same with his mage.  Then on my first turn, I decide to take all the remaining dark attack spells.  Then my opponent takes all the remaining holy incantations.  Then on my turn I choose all the remaining holy creatures.  etc. etc. etc... until all the various piles are selected.

Then we have a fair distribution of all the cards to tweak/build our spell books, and it keeps both players in the dark as to which cards they're putting in their books... because you're no longer drawing from a common card pool and can't "count cards" to see what's been taken yet or not.

Another nice thing is that it really doesn't take much time at all to divide up the cards either.   Once two complete schools of magic are removed from the remaining cards, it goes real quick.