May 07, 2024, 10:01:01 PM

Author Topic: How to use Mind's Eye well without buying two copies of LG?  (Read 3885 times)

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
How to use Mind's Eye well without buying two copies of LG?
« on: February 14, 2017, 03:02:56 PM »
How to use mind's eye well without buying two copies of the LG set. It seems like it dies to ethereal attacks way too fast, and you need to have more than two copies of the card in order for it to be worth using in competitive play at all. Which means anyone who uses mind's eye effectively will have two copies of the entire set. This doesn't seem to make any sense. Basically Forcemaster is restricted to the few strats she had before LG unless someone's willing to buy two copies of the same set. It wasn't ever necessary to do this for any other spell in the game as far as I know. I don't think there was ever a spell before this one that was unviable for competitive play with only one copy of the set it comes in. Things should be usable out of the box without having to buy a second copy of the same exact product. Unless I'm seriously missing something here about the way ME is meant to be played? Please explain this to me because I think I must be very confused about this.

Thanks!
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
Re: How to use Mind's Eye well without buying two copies of LG?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 03:17:09 PM »
I think Borg could give you some tips.  ;) He uses them with grace. Seriously, you don't need more than 2 copies. This card is very strong and 7 life, flying + ethereal does not die easy. Your opponent will have to do a big efford to kill a card that is by itself not treatening you. They will very often not be attractive to attack.

• Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

Borg

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 03:28:17 PM »
Ninja'd by Halewijn. ;)

We met and played in person for the first time last sunday.
I played Mind's Eye in one of those games.

A few things I've found out so far.

ME is so good it's going to be a dominant factor in the game for the near future.
Opponents will have to adapt and be ready for it "just in case", so Ethereal counters are going to become staples in most books.
Lots of books are going to turn to Mage Staff and Divine Might if they don't have better ethereal options.

I currently run 4 copies. 1 or 2 is not enough or at least "too risky" to sail with imo.
2 Copies may still be enough for now as Halewijn indicates but as this gets played more and players come to grips with the power of that card more counters are going to show up and some copies may go down early.

That means, yes, I got two packs of LG1.
Bright side to that, there are lots of good cards in there :)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 03:35:13 PM by Borg »

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 03:28:37 PM »
I think Borg could give you some tips.  ;) He uses them with grace. Seriously, you don't need more than 2 copies. This card is very strong and 7 life, flying + ethereal does not die easy. Your opponent will have to do a big efford to kill a card that is by itself not treatening you. They will very often not be attractive to attack.

Thanks! Your answer really cleared things up for me. I think I have a better idea how to use it now. Sorry for freaking out a bit. Both the decks I had originally planned to bring to gen con became unworkable and I was having trouble thinking of any original new decks that I could replace them with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2017, 06:42:41 PM »
Yeah ive been running jet stream and mage staff lately. Not sure if its enough. Would love to practice against it before gen con
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 11:24:22 PM »
Jet stream is actually a really great card for that! I hadn't thought about it but that ethereal and the +2 against flying probably helps or a lot. I for one have been packing lightning bolts, and mage staff is a good choice for a weapon regardless of mage i think.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
I love this game. Its awesome!

Borg

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2017, 01:10:45 AM »
Yeah ive been running jet stream and mage staff lately. Not sure if its enough. Would love to practice against it before gen con

Jet Stream in combination with Mage Staff could do it in 1 round.
Working solely with Jet Stream could get costly as you'll need at least to cast it twice.

Invisible Fist is another option.

I for one have been packing lightning bolts, and mage staff is a good choice for a weapon regardless of mage i think.

Lightning Bolt is an expensive option considering the odds are you'll not take it out with one attack.

Ideally you want to be able to deal 7+ ethereal damage with 1 attack or 4 damage twice.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 03:08:30 AM by Borg »