May 07, 2024, 02:23:53 PM

Author Topic: How do you deal with Water Elemental  (Read 14111 times)

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
Re: How do you deal with Water Elemental
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2016, 09:35:31 AM »
Water Elemental is susceptible to Lullaby, Chant of Rage, Song of Love and Agony as well as it's attacks being avoidable worth armoring against.

Another "I win" vs a Water elemental is a guarding Plant creature or anything else with Hydro Immunity...including another Water Elemental.

Good ideas, Puddnhead,  although I'm not sure I'd be willing to spend 5 mana (before any discounts) to gamble on Lullaby for two 50-50 chances at Stun conditions (and in the case of failure, two 50-50 chances at the Elemental not being able to attack via Daze). The math works out well on average, but it's scary leaving it up to chance in those "must not get hit/pushed this round" situations.

Along the lines of Agony, there's also Shrink, and anything that can deal Stagger tokens. Unfortunately Weak won't work, as it's a Poison condition.

Then there's Block, Glancing Blow, Redirect, Reverse Attack, Eye for an Eye, Divine Reversal, etc. They'll help to negate some damage, but generally won't affect the Push.

It's too bad [mwcard=DNE03] Stumble[/mwcard] and [mwcard=MWSTX2FFE05] Fumble[/mwcard] won't work on the Elemental (Unstoppable = Unmovable). If they worked, I'd seriously consider including them just as a counter for this guy - and a few other really big buddies. The same problem exists vs Titanodon; can't use Stumble to prevent him from Trampling, since he's also Unmovable.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 09:55:12 AM by iNano78 »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2016, 04:45:55 PM »
Water Elemental is susceptible to Lullaby, Chant of Rage, Song of Love and Agony as well as it's attacks being avoidable worth armoring against.

Another "I win" vs a Water elemental is a guarding Plant creature or anything else with Hydro Immunity...including another Water Elemental.

Good ideas, Puddnhead,  although I'm not sure I'd be willing to spend 5 mana (before any discounts) to gamble on Lullaby for two 50-50 chances at Stun conditions (and in the case of failure, two 50-50 chances at the Elemental not being able to attack via Daze). The math works out well on average, but it's scary leaving it up to chance in those "must not get hit/pushed this round" situations.

Not saying your reason for lullaby isn't valid. Personally I've had amazing success with Lullaby.  I've put 2 in my Siren and may go up to 3!
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
How do you deal with Water Elemental
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2016, 04:57:06 PM »

Not saying your reason for lullaby isn't valid. Personally I've had amazing success with Lullaby.  I've put 2 in my Siren and may go up to 3!

Lullaby is basically a 75% chance that the attack will fail. How is that not worth it?

0.5 chance of stun + 0.5 chance of daze*0.5 chance of missing=0.75 chance of no successful attack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 05:00:07 PM by Sailor Vulcan »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Super Sorcerer

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2016, 10:46:42 AM »
ב"ה
So we have solutions for paladins (challenge) and druids (everything is water immune anyway).
I guess beastmasters will just take kralathor more often.
Warlocks are likely to enfeeble that thing, so it couldn't move and attack (or agony if the damage is what you want to prevent).
Forcemasters could use their defense against the attacks of a water elemental, but otherwise have the same problem of killing zombie brutes they have against zombie necromancers.
Necromancer have their own stock of ridiculously unkillable resilient things. 2 zombie brutes cost the same as a single water elemental, and they more than a match for him.
Wizards could banish that creature to delay the trouble it brings for 3 rounds. His answers for resilient are slow (hydra and devouring jelly), so he will need some good positioning if he try to kill it.
Priests and Priestesses could use their creatures with defense to guard (there are at least 3 different non-pest holy creatures with defense). They also have many things that deal more damage to nonliving creature and have a very good of dazing or stunning them.
Warlords will bring their dwarf panzergardes to defend against it, most warlords have at least 2 of these anyway. Warlords will have the same problem killing it as they have against zombies.

Another general solution is to simply go for the mage, the same way you do it against zombie Necromancers (who's creatures are resilient just as well).

Phillus

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2017, 10:18:41 PM »
First time I played against Water Elemental I killed with with Eye For An Eye.