May 07, 2024, 04:15:46 AM

Author Topic: How do you deal with Water Elemental  (Read 14110 times)

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
How do you deal with Water Elemental
« on: December 08, 2016, 08:39:42 AM »
Water Elemental

22 mana; Level 6
16 life; "infinite" Armor (Resilient)... which is statistically similar to 32 life with no Armor

Burnproof, Hydro Immunity, Non-living, Resilient (basically only takes critical damage, although Corrodes are dealt as direct damage), Unstoppable (Unmovable, Uncontainable, cannot be Hindered), Frost +3 (LOL)
5 dice quick Hydro melee attack that Pushes on 4+. "When Water Elemental Pushes a creature, after the push it may immediately move to the creature's zone."

On one hand...
  • You can't Tanglevine/Force Hold it.
  • You can't Poison it.
  • You can't Burn it.
  • You can't Push it.
  • It isn't Slow, so Teleporting it away doesn't do much, especially since you can't Hinder it.
  • You can't really swarm it, partly because it can attack a creature, Push that creature, then follow the Pushed creature for free, inching ever closer to the target it seeks.
  • It isn't Legendary or Unique... so god forbid your opponent casts a second one while you're still trying to figure out how to deal with the first!
  • Despite lacking Psychic Immunity, (Mass) Sleep is not an option since it requires a Living target.

On the other hand...
  • It isn't Psychic Immune, so Mind Control, Charm, etc, can work... but they're pretty niche spells. (Maybe not now that this thing is in the wild!)
  • You can wall it into a corner... assuming you can corner it.
  • Leviathan Scale Armor will soften its bite, but it will still roll 3 dice and Push on a 6+. Neither Waterfall Cloak nor Elemental Cloak help at all (aside from the latter providing Armor +1).
  • Assuming it doesn't Guard, Flyers can attack it, and it can't use Eagle Wings (non-living), so the Water Elemental in itself doesn't have any built-in counters against Flyers.
  • Eagleclaw Boots or the Paladin's shiny new Steadfast Boots are good to stop your Mage from getting pushed around by the Elemental. That might not sound like a big deal... until it starts Bashing your Mage into a wall turn after turn!

Any other ideas or suggestions on how to deal with this... thing?

Lucky for me, when used to push a creature into my Mage's zone for a free move action, it often "accidentally" killed the creature and therefore didn't get to trigger the Push'n'Move ability. But since it isn't Slow and can't be Hindered, it didn't matter that much. It's a menacing thing, always seeping towards you.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 09:01:05 AM by iNano78 »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
Re: How do you deal with Water Elemental
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 08:56:05 AM »
Akrio's Favor and Gloves of Skill are decent against resilient. I also Marked for Death to try and get extra dice out of it.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 09:07:00 AM »
Akrio's Favor and Gloves of Skill are decent against resilient. I also Marked for Death to try and get extra dice out of it.

Huh. Never noticed that [mwcard=MW1E27]Marked for Death[/mwcard] works on Nonliving.

As I think about it, the Water Elemental question is similar to "What do you do about [mwcard=DNC22]Zombie Brute[/mwcard]?" - except the Brute is Lumbering (always Hindered) and Psychic Immune (can't be Sleep/Mind Control/Charm'ed).

Is it really worth taking the time to kill it? 16 critical damage will require throwing 32 dice its way, on average (including your Akiro/Skill rerolls). That's like killing a second Mage - albeit one without Armor or any of the enchantments that require a Living target. I was hoping to find a way to neutralize it or at least limit its effectiveness without necessarily killing it.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 09:12:36 AM by iNano78 »

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 09:07:45 AM »
Killed it in one turn with a Paladin. Made it my enemy and stood in it's way while Guarding. It swung at me and I revealed Eye for an Eye. Then countrike, then regular swing with my sword. Using Akiros Favor and the challenge re-roll I toasted it.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 09:16:58 AM »
Killed it in one turn with a Paladin. Made it my enemy and stood in it's way while Guarding. It swung at me and I revealed Eye for an Eye. Then countrike, then regular swing with my sword. Using Akiros Favor and the challenge re-roll I toasted it.

That must have required some above-average rolls (including its self-inflicted damage). Did you have boots that made you Unmovable, or did it whiff its Push roll?
(Guards often aren't good against it since it can Push the Guard out of the zone, thus dodging the counterstrike)

Good call on Eye for an Eye, though. It gets around the "infinite Armor" issue nicely.

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2016, 09:23:23 AM »
I experienced a game as priestess against a wizard a long time ago. Not that the wizard really had issues against priestess,  but a spectacular situation still occurred.
Brogan got one shot by a hydra.

So before anyone makes a 'how to deal with Brogan thread' please follow this advice:
Kill him with one full round attack from a Hydra.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2016, 09:28:51 AM »

That must have required some above-average rolls (including its self-inflicted damage). Did you have boots that made you Unmovable, or did it whiff its Push roll?
(Guards often aren't good against it since it can Push the Guard out of the zone, thus dodging the counterstrike)

Good call on Eye for an Eye, though. It gets around the "infinite Armor" issue nicely.

Yeah I was wearing my Unmovable and Anchored Boots. If you're gonna call out an elemental, bring the gear. I might of had Bear Strength and Dawnbreakers ring on too. Was swinging 7 dice on the thing after it took damage.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2016, 09:30:32 AM »
I experienced a game as priestess against a wizard a long time ago. Not that the wizard really had issues against priestess,  but a spectacular situation still occurred.
Brogan got one shot by a hydra.

So before anyone makes a 'how to deal with Brogan thread' please follow this advice:
Kill him with one full round attack from a Hydra.

So...

You're saying I shouldn't just cast [mwcard=MWBG1A03]Hurl Meteorite[/mwcard] and roll [2*] on every die?

'Cause that's my usual go-to.   :o

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2016, 10:13:21 AM »
Paladin has it easy vs big brutes. Nature tends to be problematic with resilient dudes.

I've been taking Leviathan armor more and more in my books. Dragonscale vs Leviathan is such a tough choice now  :'(
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 10:18:00 AM by Coshade »
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Super Sorcerer

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2016, 01:22:16 AM »
ב"ה
On the other hand...
  • It isn't Psychic Immune, so Sleep is an option... but it's definitely worthwhile for your opponent to wake it up (or otherwise remove the Sleep condition), so unless you put Sleep on a Wand/Spore, this will only be a short-term delay tactic.
Actually, sleep could only target a "non-mage living creature", so it couldn't target the water elemental.

About the Paladin-
A standard Paladin probably have his sword for 4 dice, that become 6 since the elemental in non-living, plus 2 from bear streanth, plus one from dawnbreaker ring, plus one from hand of bim shalla, and plus one from Malakai's basilica for a total of 11 dice. Assuming a reroll of any non-critical dice would make an avarage damage of 5/6 times the number of dice, which means 9+1/6 average damage with each attack. Making one attack and one counterstrike against the elemental would take it to 18+1/3 average damage, which is statisticly enough to kill the water elemental (on an average roll, so no need for special luck). If he got akiro's favor, that could mitigate the risk of low rolls a little bit.  Adding eye for an eye to this deal, it would actually need really poor rolls for the elemental not to be destroyed.

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2016, 03:15:13 AM »
Paladin reroll is once per round.

Im fairly certain the that the math for the average crit damage a paladin can do with the opportunity of rerolling is pretty complex.

Super Sorcerer

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2016, 07:41:15 AM »
ב"ה
Im fairly certain the that the math for the average crit damage a paladin can do with the opportunity of rerolling is pretty complex.
Not against resilient creatures. Resilient creatures and creatures without armor are always easy.
On a standard roll you have probability on 1/6 to get 1 crit, 1/6 to get 2 crit and 2/3 to get nothing, so you get 1/2 damage from each die, to a total of 1/2 the number of dice you roll.
Since we assume the paladin tries to maximize the average damage, the paladin wouldn't reroll the 1 critical or 2 critical (since 1 and 2 are greater than 1/2) but only the dice thast didn't roll any critical damage. So we have 1/6 chance to get 2 crit on the first roll, 1/6 to get 1 crit on the first roll, and 2/3 chance to reroll.
The rerolled dice are simple rolled, so they have an average damage of 1/2, for a total of:
        1/6*2           +           1/6*1         +       2/3*1/2     =     5/6.
(2 crit on first roll)    (1 crit on first roll)         (rerolling)             (total)
Each die give an avarage damage of 5/6, so the total is 5/6 times the number of dice.

Paladin reroll is once per round.
So the choice when to reroll with challenge and when to reroll with akiro's favor could boost the average damage a lot. it really changes th
The worst case is if we assume the paladin use challenge rerolls on the non-crits of the first attack regardless of the amount of crits rolled, and akiro's favor isn't used would be 9+1/6 for the first attack and 5+1/2 for the second attack for a total of 14+2/3 (which is almost enough). Since the paladin had akiro's favor, and the choice whether to hold the challenge rerolls for the second attack (if he already got many crits), it would go higher. And with eye for an eye it is again most likely that the elemental would die anyway.

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2016, 08:03:55 AM »
The variance when rolling dice against a resilient creature is a lot higher though due to the 2/3 chance of doing 0 damage. That's why you often feel like you have either horrible or amazing luck when battling resilient creatures. Creatures without armor, like Earth elemental, will need a more consistent amount of dice.
I've done 6 critical damage with a 4 dice attack against a brute this week, but I've had plenty of other games where I feel like my dice don't do anything at all.

So, akiro's favor and the paladin's ability are especially powerful to take out big resilient creatures like that.
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2016, 08:58:20 AM »
OK, so a good option for countering a Water Elemental is:

[spellbook]
[spellbookheader]
[spellbookname]Paladin[/spellbookname]
[mage]Paladin[/mage]
[/spellbookheader]
[spells]
[spellclass]Equipment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1q27]1 x  Dawnbreaker Ring[/mwcard]
1 x  Sword of Radiance
1 x  Steadfast Boots
1 x  Radiant Breastplate
[spellclass]Enchantment[/spellclass]
1 x  Eye for an Eye
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE02]1 x  Akiro's Favor[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E01]1 x  Bear Strength[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Conjurations[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MW1J08]1x  Hand of Bim-Shalla[/mwcard]
1 x  Malakai's Basilica
[/spells]
[cost]Total cost: Lost track[/cost]
[/spellbook]

... who Challenged the Water Elemental (thus gets to reroll). If you have all that stuff, you're good to go.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 09:02:42 AM by iNano78 »

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2016, 09:08:02 AM »
Water Elemental is susceptible to Lullaby, Chant of Rage, Song of Love and Agony as well as it's attacks being avoidable worth armoring against.

Another "I win" vs a Water elemental is a guarding Plant creature or anything else with Hydro Immunity...including another Water Elemental.