May 15, 2024, 02:04:49 PM

Author Topic: Psylok  (Read 3172 times)

barriecritzer

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Psylok
« on: April 05, 2014, 02:30:12 PM »
I know what critical damage is, but when it is listed on a creatures attack bar does that mean all damage that creature does is critical damage?

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
Re: Psylok
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 03:01:46 PM »
Yep. All damage done by a [mwcard=FWC12] Psylok's[/mwcard] Psionic Blast attack is critical, and ignores armor.
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

echephron

• Player
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • The finest in mage wear...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 04:49:05 PM »
my real question, is does it remain critical damage if you have a veterans belt.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 05:13:51 PM »
my real question, is does it remain critical damage if you have a veterans belt.

Vet belt downgrades it to normal, blockable damage.  (even though its "psychic" attacks)

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2014, 09:48:10 PM »
[mwcard=DNQ07] Veteran's Belt[/mwcard] happens after the roll dice step. The creature ability isn't defined in the complete codex, the FAQ or the Warlord v. Forcemaster rules, so the answer to this question isn't completely well defined, but the Critical entry in the Complete Codex says

Critical Damage (Game Term) Critical damage bypasses Armor (Armor does not reduce the damage dealt). Critical damage is shown as numbers inside a starburst on the attack dice.
From this I conclude that we resolve attacks with the critical trait so they cause critical damage, the same as if the starburst die face were rolled in step 3.

At the end of that step, the belt then may convert up to 2 of that critical damage into normal damage. The normal damage is then modified by armor, as usual. Any critical damage remaining ignores armor.
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

echephron

• Player
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • The finest in mage wear...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2014, 03:16:54 AM »
Topic Hijack!
Good research ringkichard. I agree it isn't well defined. I guessed that an attack with the critical damage trait, converted all damage to critical during the "Damage and Effects" step, though I've never had a real rationale as to why. Its like, when you apply the damage in "Damage and Effects", treat it all as critical. The starburst "2" is changed into a regular "2" during the roll dice step for Vet Belt, but that doesnt matter.

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2014, 09:45:05 AM »
[mwcard=DNQ07] Veteran's Belt[/mwcard] happens after the roll dice step. The creature ability isn't defined in the complete codex, the FAQ or the Warlord v. Forcemaster rules, so the answer to this question isn't completely well defined, but the Critical entry in the Complete Codex says

Critical Damage (Game Term) Critical damage bypasses Armor (Armor does not reduce the damage dealt). Critical damage is shown as numbers inside a starburst on the attack dice.
From this I conclude that we resolve attacks with the critical trait so they cause critical damage, the same as if the starburst die face were rolled in step 3.

At the end of that step, the belt then may convert up to 2 of that critical damage into normal damage. The normal damage is then modified by armor, as usual. Any critical damage remaining ignores armor.

It seems that the Codex definition for "Critical Damage" could be expanded to include Attack Traits rather than just the starburst symbol on attack dice.
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 09:52:56 AM »

Ty Kitch and have a sticker
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage