May 08, 2024, 12:43:55 AM

Author Topic: viability of mana crystals/flowers in current meta  (Read 4613 times)

webcatcher

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
viability of mana crystals/flowers in current meta
« on: March 01, 2014, 07:47:55 AM »
In my most recent OCTGN games, I've noticed that my mana crystals or mana flowers tend to have a pretty short lifespan. I've played against several opponents with very fast openings and they usually target my mana generating conjurations first. This has worked so well that I've started doing the same thing in my real life games, to solid effect. So is this a general thing? Are mana conjurations out of style except for the few builds that can protect them well (wizard, necro, druid)?

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
Re: viability of mana crystals/flowers in current meta
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2014, 10:19:42 AM »
Are mana conjurations out of style except for the few builds that can protect them well (wizard, necro, druid)?

Definately not.

Just dont overextent the amount of channeling objects you cast. If somebody spends 2-3 attacks on taking down a crystal you should welcome them.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2014, 03:32:09 PM »
I agree with Jack here. I like to put one or two out depending on my mage. Yeah it hurts when they get destroyed but those are attacks not coming at my mage.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

lettucemode

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 11:33:31 AM »
I haven't been using flowers or crystals much anymore, instead I will put on rings or summon a Battle Forge or familiar. The rings you won't gain as much benefit from as a flower/crystal, but they cost less and for the first few rounds of the game it will be equivalent. Spawnpoints like a BF are more upfront, but harder to destroy and they give you an action advantage - maybe a Druid or Wizard can dissolve whatever you put on yourself with the BF, but they are falling behind in actions to do so. Familiars are harder to justify due to their very large mana cost, but again provide the same benefit as a flower/crystal if you are in a position to cast one of those types of spells every turn. And again they give you an action advantage, Fellalla is very effective against a Dispel-spamming Wizard for example.

If a book is very focused on a particular type of spell I'd say that a ring/spawnpoint/familiar is a better investment than a flower or crystal.

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 12:40:15 PM »
I dont use mana crystal/flower because they only give you 1 extra mana on 6th turn. In my meta a game last about 9-10 rounds, so the extra 3 mana at the end of the game doesnt worth the action spent.

Alexander West

• Falconer
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2014, 01:46:31 PM »
When I play an aggressive strategy, I feel my opponent loses a ton of tempo by playing mana crystal/flower.  I actively welcome them doing so.

When I play a creature-based attrition strategy, I can usually trade ~2-3 actions of a ~10 mana creature to destroy one of them.  It always feels like I'm getting ahead when I do this, and I usually feel free to do this because my opponent loses the "creature war" because I can outsummon them in the initial clash because they sunk so much mana into crystals/flowers.

In my mind the perfect amount of mana generation is +1 over your opponent.  When it comes to Crystals/Flowers, I'd almost always rather pay a little extra to upgrade to a Battleforge, Spawnpoint, or Familiar depending on my strategy.  So, no, I pretty much never play Crystals/Flowers.
"He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes; he who does not is a fool for a lifetime."

aquestrion

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2014, 04:15:51 AM »
I only play mana boosting cards if I see my opponet using them or if I'm already ahead in tempo or have a huge advantage.... I use rings they are the best...unless your a wizard and I use battleforge and harmonize and mana crystals with the ring of arcanum

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2014, 09:41:56 AM »
I always put one in for a 9 channeling mage and drop it round 1. I have found that channeling 11 mana is really a sweet spot for me and my plans. With BF builds Moonglow is always an obvious addition.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest