May 03, 2024, 01:19:11 PM

Author Topic: Gencon 2012  (Read 9516 times)

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Gencon 2012
« on: August 14, 2012, 12:32:09 PM »
First and fore most to all people attending Gencon.

From all us MODS, the Arcane Wonders, and the rest of the Mage Wars extended family have a safe trip and enjoy the show.

Now to the point of this thread.
 I am setting this up so you can talk about your Mage War experience at Gencon. Since most of us are traveling today or tomorrow I wanted this thread up before I left (7am est ). I made this a temp sticky thread so if you get a chance to post while in Indy you can find this quickly.

Did you take the demo?

Did you play in a Mage Wars apprentice event?

Did you get a copy of Mage Wars?

Did you get a chance to play the full game?
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Zoide

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Gencon 2012
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 11:37:46 PM »
Anyone?

The Armoured Rock

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 07:35:24 PM »
:( I was disappointed in the Gen Con presence of Mage Wars. Many of us, (my family included) have been patiently waiting on this game's release so when the e-mail about the limited number of sets to sell at Gen Con was put out, it was a big letdown.

But the kicker Saturday (my family's only day at the con)was to see that within 3 minutes of the exhibit hall opening, all the numbers were given out to purchase a game. Then later that day, to see an individual sitting in the open gaming area with a sign selling his sealed copy of Mage Wars for a huge amount of $.

Perhaps as a perk to being dedicated to the game and being patient, those of us that have subscrided to the e-mails and would have been attending the Con, reward that dedication by giving those folks the opportunity to reserve a copy to have been picked up at Gen Con. Just some thought. Many of us have been eagerly waiting on this game to release and my experience this weekend at Gen Con was pretty disappointing. Just my personal opinions.

The Armoured Rock

Mestrahd

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 07:38:47 PM »
Yeah, no doubt there were scalpers for every game. I watched the 2 videos FFG put out and there were people buying like 6-7 copies of Netrunner and X-Wing. I'm SURE they needed that many for themselves. Unfortunately, the game companies have no idea who are the ones subscribing to their forums, and which are opportunistic.

Klaxas

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 08:15:24 PM »
i did not see anyone selling any games but i hope those people get shafted cause the game is comming out very shortly.  all in all i loooove the game (sorry for those that did not get a copy)
Favorite Mage: The one I am using.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 09:30:19 PM »
Quote from: "Zoide" post=587
Anyone?

The only night I was able to get online was Thursday. The space in the card hall we got did not have power. So the laptop we had was not very helpful. I was gonna type up some Info when I got back to my room but that was often between 2-3am. It was a good show this year. I ended up doing about 14 hours a day running demos and events. It was fun to sit down and meet some of the forum people. I enjoyed playing the few full games I had a chance to play. Now once all the per-orders are filled I can get my copy.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Klaxas

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2012, 11:11:49 PM »
i was lucky enough to get a copy so yes i did play the full game and i have to say it does not disapoint.

the card interactions make sence but also are complex in the way they interact in unexpected ways sometimes.  the deckbuilding is fantastic.  i concentrated solely on the wizard and went through several builds but i didnt feel one was more powerfull than another, they just played differently.

Pahorin

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 01:38:52 PM »
Did you take the demo?  Yes

Did you play in a Mage Wars apprentice event? I was in the tournament as the Warlock and had a great time.

Did you get a copy of Mage Wars? No, sold out

Did you get a chance to play the full game?  No

Mage Wars was the best new game I tried at GenCon and I tried over 20.  Ordered my copy from the website today.

VacaBCK

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2012, 02:38:08 PM »
Did you take the Demo? Yes-Played on Saturday morning

Did you play in a Mage Wars Apprentice event? No, I didn't know about them, but I doubt I would have had time this weekend with the family.

Did you get a copy of Mage Wars? Yup, Saturday morning, was number 41 I think. Demo'd right after purchasing.

Did you get a chance to play the full game? Nope, not yet, but we are going to sit down tonight and mess around with the spell books in hopes that we get to play a round or two tomorrow evening.

Congrats on a successful Gen Con!!!!! Looking forward to playing the game more and seeing what you guys do with it in the future!

Gigan

• Elder
  • Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 10:22:16 AM »
Thanks so much to everyone who came to GenCon and for all the support you have given us!  We had a blast, and we could not have done it without our wonderful fans!

My throat is still sore from all the demos, but I had a ton of fun.  I even had a few people ask me to sign their cards.  See you all there next year!

Kilaen

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2012, 04:26:35 PM »
I played the demo and also played in the tournament (lost in the first round). I was lucky enough to purchase the game as well. So far I've played about 20 games with a friend who also got a copy. It's a great game. I'm looking forward to seeing how it transforms over the coming years.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2012, 07:54:35 AM »
Good to hear that people enjoyed the show we put on. The next stage is to get the league started and get expansion 1 ready to print. I hope the league will be ready to go before the end of this year.

Klaxas

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2012, 08:19:10 AM »
me too i definately want to run a league at my LGS

eatmyjustice

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2012, 09:14:14 AM »
Did you take the demo?
No

Yes, I did this on Thursday at noon

Yes I was able to get a copy on Thursday morning

Yes, I've played about 5 games now... My favorite purchase at Gen Con this year.
\"Arthur, that belt is a fashion accessory of evil, and evil is never in fashion.\" - The Tick

reinfire13

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2012, 09:14:53 AM »
Did you take the demo?
Yes (Thanks for the shirt as well)

Unfortunately no, but this was due to my event schedule

Yes!  Thursday the line was so long we didn't bother.  Since we knew about the amount of copies they would have on Friday we got in line early just to enter the exhibit hall and then power walked ourselves into the Mage Wars line.

Yes.  This is truly an amazing game, and come time when retailers and game stores start carrying it, I predict to see a large amount of player base.  My local game shop is pretty excited about it at least :)

My GenCon experience with Mage Wars was great.  The staff were extremely pleasant and very fun to talk to.  The Demo area was nice and it felt organized.  I am looking forward to next GenCon to enter some tournaments!